HMS Flirt by wvdhee - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

4 minutes ago, wvdhee said:

I prefer this over power tools actually.

Snap. I try and never use power tools in woodwork. Largest thing I managed without power was my last full size bench with a six inch thick top. That was slow to trim!

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

17 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

Snap. I try and never use power tools in woodwork. Largest thing I managed without power was my last full size bench with a six inch thick top. That was slow to trim!

I think that I'd do with power tools though. 😅

Walter.

Current build: Thinking about it

Finished build: HMS Flirt

Interesting looking chisel.   Is it Japanese?

Bob

current build 

Dutch 17th Century Pinas - Kolderstok - Scale 1:50 - Cross-Section

upcoming builds                               past builds

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                         USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72                                            USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

back on the shelf                                                              USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8   

3 minutes ago, rcweir said:

Interesting looking chisel.   Is it Japanese?

It is yes, very hard forged steel. It stays sharp for a long time and I'm sharpening it with water stones. Again, no power tools 😉

Walter.

More rigging 🙂

Still a lot to do, also cleaning up and some ropes I want to redo, but here she is, close to seaworthyness 😉

And I really will do some proper photos soon, but you know how it goes, no time cause stays to attach

IMG_20240424_140015.jpg

IMG_20240424_140049.jpg

Walter.

Small question... in the plans is shown that these "A lines" start at a block....

image.thumb.jpeg.a6d330b7af1c71eaf0ba2aeb3af08b01.jpeg

And in the photos in the instruction manual there is indeed a stopper knot on one side of the blocks. I am more than happy to do that as well, but what is really the point or purpose of this?

Walter.

10 minutes ago, TBlack said:

Those are the buntlines. If you were to add a sail to the yard, the line (knotted end) would be attached to the sail.

Tom

Ah that makes sense now indeed! Thanks a lot 😃

Walter.

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

Nicely done Walter.👍

B.E.

Really appreciated B.E. thanks. Not quite your level yet, but I'm getting there 😉

Walter.

Walter, You are doing a magnificent job on this ship! You and I have the older version of blocks from Chris. If you look at your #72 post, that’s what they are supposed to look like. Shopping at Chris’s site and Chuck Passaro’s site shows that decent blocks are out of stock. So, we are out of luck. I might try knocking off the corners. I’ll let you know how I do.

Tom

4 hours ago, TBlack said:

Walter, You are doing a magnificent job on this ship! You and I have the older version of blocks from Chris. If you look at your #72 post, that’s what they are supposed to look like. Shopping at Chris’s site and Chuck Passaro’s site shows that decent blocks are out of stock. So, we are out of luck. I might try knocking off the corners. I’ll let you know how I do.

Tom

I was wondering about blocks for my next ship indeed, I'm not going to change them on my Flirt, I've nearly finished her (pics soon ish)

But the new standard blocks from Chris look already better?

Walter.

Anchors done (only 2) and all the rigging done too!

That concludes this adventure 🙂

It was a great kit to make, very diverse, high quality, I enjoyed every minute of it. I am also quite pleased with the result, it's not perfect I know and I have some points to improve for the next ship. 

What I really need to tell myself more often is not to hurry and go slowly. It doesn't matter if the build takes 2 weeks more, but taking your time greatly improves quality and reduces frustration imo.

Some pictures then...

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

Edited by wvdhee

Walter.

• The title was changed to HMS Flirt by wvdhee - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Nicely done,  Congratulations :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Great model. Looking forward to seeing what’s next from you.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.