Sloop Speedwell 1752 by sfotinos - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:32 Scale - POF Sloop

Posted (edited)

Welcome...

I was very excited when i was able to get chapters 1 & 2 for this new project.

I already have my first question.IMG_0031.thumb.jpeg.689363b02d1e9912d861b801dd8de55a.jpeg

When test fitting parts of the stem assembly the instructions suggest only sanding slightly on certain edges of each piece. 

image.png.63e8c1bf188e39634609666f2ab4873c.png

However when I removed the pieces with no sanding, there is a slight gap.  Is it appropriate to correct the other end?

IMG_0030.jpeg

Edited by sfotinos

What does the gap look like on the other side? Remember, the laser doesn't cut perfectly straight, so I would think that a slight adjustment on the other end would be appropriate. I'm sure that Chuck will chime in.

Best Regards .... Rick

Glad to see a build log.

Yes…i actually have a photo of that. Which you posted.  The circled areas (on one end or the other of a given joint) need to be sanded to close the gaps. The gaps are intentional and yes you will need to sand the end of the scarph on the opposite side to close the gaps.  This will be especially true with each frame segment as the thick wood when laser cut leaves a curved and bevelled edge  that wasnt easily remedied by just flipping the pieces on the laser cutter.  So each piece will have one end that needs just a hair of sanding.

See the page of the 1st chapter that explains this.

Just a few swipes should do the trick.

Chuck

Indeed it does. That is looking very good.  Hopefully we will have more build logs starting soon as well.

Maybe...but seriously we need more than two build logs.  If we can get that number up to ten or so then yes certainly.  But of those who bought the first dozen or so kits, if we see 3 build logs it will be a lot.   Lots of solitary builders out there unfortunately.

Chuck

• The title was changed to Sloop Speedwell 1752 by sfotinos - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:32 Scale - POF Sloop

29 minutes ago, sfotinos said:

What size drill bit for the treenails using 25lb line?

I think using the breaking strain of the line as a size measurement can be misleading. It would be better to look for a correct diameter rather than the breaking strain. That way you would also know what size drill to use.

Alternatively, measure the line with a vernier and buy the drill to suit.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:01 AM, sfotinos said:

What size drill bit for the treenails using 25lb line?

I pulled out some of my 25lb line and with a #74 drill bit on a piece of scrap I got a nice tight fit. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Apologies if this is drifting from your build but I feel it’s worth noting for people looking to build to scale.

I just checked five different 25lb monofilament fishing lines and they were all different. The range was from 0.37mm to 0.52mm. Now 0.15mm which is .006 inch does not seem much, but the variation is actually more than 40%.

Hence me suggesting it is better to know the required diameter rather than the breaking strain.

Very nice start by the way.

Building has been continuing, I'm about ready to finish gluing the front apron.

Looking forward at the rising wood.  However laying it on the plans, the slots for the floors progressively get wider and wider and don't match my plans.  Sorry about the bad picture, maybe time to learn how to take a photo with the camera I bought six years ago?

Thoughts?

image.thumb.jpeg.12deeb9db67f9ab2457a8b11ac440543.jpeg

You are good to go...that one element (keel assembly) on the plans printed at the incorrect scale.  The laser parts are all correct so just keep going.   The plans have been corrected.  The guy at my printer must have grabbed the edge of that object in error and shrunk it horizontally (in Corel Draw).  At least that is what he said happened.  If you lay those pieces on the framing plan instead you will see they fit just fine.

Chuck