Grand Banks Dory by Desertanimal - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24 - first build

Posted (edited)

First ship build. Not much to say so far, but here’s a picture.

One question though
I’ve seen discussion regarding the width of the frames on the plan not being correct. I printed the plans so that the OAL is exactly 10”. So now my frames should be the correct size, correct? 😉
I’ve yet to cut out the frames and compare to the plans. 
Thanks!

Chris

IMG_2711.jpeg

Edited by Desertanimal

I couldn't tell you if the frames are the right width on the plans, but I do know that I didn't have a problem assembling the Dory.  As a caveat, it was also my first model and I may have assembled it not realizing that I was doing it incorrectly,  I will mention that there are a lot of little errors and discrepancies to watch for in the plans/instructions and kit parts.  Just pay close attention, look closely at the photos, check other build logs if something seems off and it should all work out ok.

- Eric

In the shipyard: OcCre Palamos

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smack 

• The title was changed to Grand Banks Dory by Desertanimal - first build

So I’ve compared the #3 frame and crosspiece with the plans in the book and the plans I printed. 
Well… the crosspiece is slightly larger than the image on the plans in the book and slightly smaller than the “full” size plans I printed. 
I’m going to proceed by splitting the difference. 

• The title was changed to Grand Banks Dory by Desertanimal - Model Shipways - 1:24 - first build
Posted (edited)

OK time to update the post. Starting off with gluing up the bottom onto the frames.

bottomGU.jpg.a8710dff1fb7a55a793b98230cee9900.jpg

Shaping the bow...

Bowshaping.jpg.896103e0e5c1738fda9769002e461d2c.jpg

Moving on to sanding the bevels. Wow, those are tiny pieces of wood! Patience is the key here that's for sure. I made up a tiny down draft table that I plugged into a shop vac to control the dust. Works great. Pop in the ear plugs, shut the door and off you go. The next step will be to move the shop vac into the garage and just have a hose coming into the craft room...

Planksanding.jpg.b39a60a74f05193457bb98cc3be45775.jpg

BevelCU.jpg.f31d93692328fd6eea97bdbfa5a0226c.jpg

Gluing the garboard plank onto the frames.

Garboard.jpg.342fc240888ec4134cb7bd13d638d96d.jpg

Broad strake glue up, now the clamping was getting pretty fiddly. You need to be careful not to damage any wood that you have already sanded to shape. I made up these little clamping jigs out of scrap. They worked really well but were not very robust and barely survived all the way to the sheer strake. My big nut makes a great helping hand! It was a perfect angle to hold against the transom.

hullGU2.jpg.8d44b5d2e9620073894ba7087af4897a.jpghullglueup.jpg.b136427b663e37af5af5410a83cef20f.jpg

One thing I've learned is you need to be flexible in your planning. First, have more than one plan. For example, gluing the planks onto the forms. One time I would use an awl to apply PVA glue where I needed it, clamp it and wait. Sometimes you're going to need to hold that joint with your fingers, so make sure the other parts are clamped so you can pinch that part again. On one side I had the broad strake soaked and clamped up for shape and it lined up so well that I didn't want to touch it. So after it dried I used watered down glue with a brush and painted the joints from the inside then let those dry. So once I removed the clamps it was right where I wanted it. I guess you just need to do whatever that situation requires. I see some people struggle because they have one method of glue up and it's giving them trouble and they get stuck because they can't clamp this one like they did the other one.

While stuff was drying I made a little water scoop from scrap. No idea if the scale is correct I was just following some photos I've seen on the web. Based on my ruler I guess the real size would be about 18" long. Hahahaha

Scoop1.jpg.70fde5d89ace87600fe5908f307e471d.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your comments!

Chris

Edited by Desertanimal

One thing that helped me keep the planks in order was to mark the bow end of the pieces before I remove them from the sheet. There is a hole on the bow end of the garboard plank, so I just made a pencil mark on the bow end of each plank. I'm pretty sure I saw this pointed out in the instructions, but I believe I read a post that this issue was a problem for someone. So I kept an eye out for it.

bevel.jpg.bff7ba4f4fe3c93797734f528e729967.jpg

So this part isn't easy to document, a lot of sanding and shaping.

Question- Did I lose the false stem? I never saw one so I used a piece of scrap and shaped it...

Bands on.

Bands.jpg.a98e4dc2c08399bdfce1536758e94edb.jpg

I notched the frames for the gunwales, but I guess I should have gone farther down. I only cut back 1/16" since that's the size of the wood. Well with the angle of the sides after I sanded them mostly level there isn't a lot of thickness left on the inboard edges of the gunwales. Did I do something wrong?

I sanded the faces a little to give them the look of some thickness.

gunwales.jpg.76815357d4c5aed91ed96e7df5c05af4.jpg

Breast hook shaped and glued in.

breasthook.jpg.f320424a2118c74d9eab824f54780f54.jpg

I think I'm going to call this pretty much ready to paint. I may do a little more shaping of the bow after I look at some photos this evening.

Need to pick up some sort of primer in the morning so paint will have to wait anyway.

Overall I think I'm happy with the planking/beveling and shaping of the bow.

planking.jpg.ae7744807f5d3efb90bb300a676730e7.jpg

A couple of questions for those reading all this. If I make a rope bucket what size of rope do you think will look best?
(I did shorten the handle on my water bailer substantially after finding JacquesCousteau's build log. Thanks for that!)

Having a great time with this little kit. A few more and better pictures in the instructions would be helpful. Especially regarding the bands, gunwales and bow shape. If it wasn't for all of you that have posted your logs newbies like me would be lost.

Thanks!!

Chris

You are looking great. A suggestion, use several coats of sanding sealer before painting. The acrylic pain tends to raise the grain on the wood. Also the idea is not new to me but you can modify the binder clips you use as clamps by using the handles to make a base using either the loop end or the other end as the picture I added shows. They are really handy!

IMG_8686.jpeg

Very nice job! The gunwales look great. I'm glad to hear my build log was useful. I'm not totally sure on an appropriate thickness for the thread, you can probably eyeball it by finding photos of an old bucket with a rope handle. 

Also, I don't think you lost the false stem, as far as I can tell the instructions just don't mention that it should be made of scrap.

Rob, that sounded like excellent advice on the sanding sealer. I’m used to working with hardwood, so this soft stuff is foreign to me. Sure sands and carves easily though! 
Anyway I sprayed it with Deft sanding sealer then gave it a nice light sand. Seemed like a nice finish for paint. Another lesson learned; I need to pay more attention to glue cleanup during construction. I spent quite a bit of effort cleaning up dry glue on the inside of the hull. Used 91% IPA, worked pretty well. My point though is that you can still see plenty of it after the paint. 
I’ll be posting some pics here soon and I’d appreciate more opinions and guidance. 

Thanks!

Chris

So starting back at it we have the inside painted.

Insidepaint.jpg.b944ef657e73937b8f24bcb02ad952e6.jpg

After a few rounds of touch up back and forth it's painted. I decided to paint the bands green also. I like it.

Painted.jpg.ec0634fec2d6408de2e63be82f90c838.jpg

I'm happy with the detail on the bow and stern. I looked at a lot of pictures and they're all just a little bit different from each other. Haha.

Bow.jpg.bb638d85b5acfc9365043d551278ed7a.jpg

Stern.jpg.e3c8a3bf4a3c0002b90c824e5cc1f8df.jpg

Just don't like the heavy looking paint job at this scale.

When it came time to fit the thwarts I needed to deepen the slots for the frames. My #16 blade was really helpful here. I guess my dory was a little thinner than most? I had to trim down most of the thwarts but not the middle couple very much. This shows one slot trimmed but not the ends yet.

Thwartslot.jpg.583d5332cc3d62a7cfc9e3bb4fea397c.jpg

sideview.jpg.f7170145bb33c829e478c7b737204dc9.jpgtopview.jpg.2d230a2678e2ef4525fa9d3ff17ef86f.jpg

Still need to shape the oars and the thole pins, I'm having a great time with it for sure.

More to come...

Chris

Well, Chris, you are mastering a number of basic techniques that you can apply to more complex models later. As for the thwarts, it's much easier to trim them down to fit than to stretch them! You did a particularly nice job at the bow transitioning from clinker to flush at the stem. Well done.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

"When it came time to fit the thwarts I needed to deepen the slots for the frames. My #16 blade was really helpful here. I guess my dory was a little thinner than most?"

I had the exact same problem. I think when you plank and glue under tension, the planks tend to push the hull inward. Which is the reason they wanted you to keep the hull on the frame after it we separated, I believe. I just kind of forced my thwarts in place, to help keep things from contracting.

Your dory looks amazing!

Posted (edited)

OK got some more work done. Started shaping the oars. After sanding the first one to shape I decided we could speed things up with carving them first.

Here are some pics of the process. The carving is not for the feint of heart. It's very easy to carve to far into the oar.

oarsand.jpg.a7dd13473ea8e7c2ed7c9bae69942cd0.jpg

oarshave.jpg.b21bc0d659230ee4e2db2815c3125286.jpgld

I made up a cradle to hold it. Saw it on another build. Here one of them is shaped.

cradle.jpg.9e2ba2c521dd0c19678060392b4c4515.jpg

Then I made a crude attempt at ageing/weathering. Have to admit I have no idea what I'm doing here. Hahaha. These aren't even the colors they stayed by the time I finished the base.

weath1.jpg.0f418eecf7f96fc6e94df37d92894474.jpgbailer.jpg.39c418f5b4a40e8d4265100860758684.jpg

I made a base and copied a deck planking pattern I found online. No idea if it's period correct etc. but figured it was good practice.

comp3.thumb.jpg.203fca427569d5d747d03a6811f24542.jpg

I'll call it mostly done, but I have some smaller rope coming for the beckets and I am still going to try my hand at building a tub to hold trawl line.

So a few questions for you that are following.

I can't find a suitable color for the thwarts and oars. They are supposed to be ash. I've tried a natural danish oil, essentially no change. I tried a provincial maple stain, too red. I have renaissance wax but would like a color on them first.

What method do you use to recreate the trunnels? I simply drilled a small shallow hole and put a dab of glue in it then sanded the area so the glue would grab the dust. After staining they took the color a little darker. You can see I still had some glue squeeze out that I didn't catch when sanding.

I cut the deck planks by hand I made them 10 mm across.

Also what's your preferred method of cutting planks to length? I used a straight edge and sharp blade. Still tough to get the cut square and vertical.

I've seen the "chopper" style of cutter and I've also seen cheap Chinese electric chop saws. Any thoughts on either of those? I don't know if those questions will get lost in this build log. Where is a more appropriate forum for those questions?

Thanks for all the comments, the Norwegiansailing pram arrives tomorrow!

Edited by Desertanimal

Very nice job! The stand is a really great touch.

As for cutting the planks to length: I have no experience with a cutter, but I've found a razor saw and small miter box to be extremely helpful for a wide range of tasks. It's definitely one of the most frequently-used tools that I have, besides the basic exacto knife. I have a pretty cheap zona saw and orange plastic miter box combo that works fine, the main issues being 1) there are times when it would be nice to have a slightly deeper/wider miter box than the 1/4‐inch deep one that I have, and 2) when the saw eventually dulls in the (hopefully distant) future, I don't think mine has a replaceable blade. But these aren't serious issues for me, and in general I've found it to be an incredibly useful tool.

So I made a little tub for the trawl line. I thought the bottom at about 3/4" looked good but after building it became a little larger...I did it all by eye and didn't taper the first few enough so I tapered the next couple a lot to get it back on track. I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt.

Soaked some strips I cut from 1/16" material and wrapped them and allowed to dry. I carved the inside leg of the clothes pin rounded so it didn't put any flattening pressure on the inside of the tub. Pro tip- when gluing the bands on, line the seams up so they can be hidden in the back... ahem...

tubbands.jpg.d648d2cc7b63edc2fdf8077de112772b.jpgtubready.jpg.27260fba182769a5981f030e1c4549b9.jpg

And the star of the show, the Dory. I will call it officially complete, although I will add the tub to the base and make a case for it.

I used Minwax Golden Pecan 245 for the oars and the thwarts. This I think gave them just a hint of color. I decorated the oars with a layer of fine Corinthian leather. When installing the leather wraps, my suggestion is to shave the leather thinner than you think it should be. I did the math so you don't have to, about 11 molecules of leather thick is about right. 👍 So get out a sharp blade and your magnifier!

I also installed and glue treated the becket ropes. Gave things a light coat of renaissance wax and that is about all there is!

This was great fun and I'm looking forward to the next build!

Chris

DoryComp1.thumb.jpg.7ca2a81cd01fc837ed0c2539372adc2b.jpg

Edited by Desertanimal

• The title was changed to Grand Banks Dory by Desertanimal - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24 - first build

Congratulations and well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Nicely done,  Congratulations.   :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Beautiful build on your first model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Chris, congratulations on completing your Grand Banks Dory. Excellent! And thank you for the tips when building the bucket. Much appreciated.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

I try to catch the logs for small boats. Sorry I missed this one.  However, I read through it and found it well done. Thanks for sharing.

Nice model and mounting.  Congrats on a nice looking model.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)