HMS Winchelsea 1764 by woodartist - 1:48

• The title was changed to HMS Winchelsea 1764 by woodartist - 1:48

I have downloaded the plans and took those to the printer. They are huge!! Just realized how large this model really is. I do not have a wall space large enough to post them. I NEED TO COME UP WITH A SOLUTION FOR THAT,

I purchased a 12" x 36" piece of MDF to use as the base once the form parts arrive. I have read quite a few of the build logs and better appreciate how difficult this build will be. The common themes are to get everything exactly right at the beginning, take your time!!, read and reread the instructions, if you do not know what to do ask before doing something you are unsure about.

The first shipment has arrived. Work/fun will commence immediately. The instructions have been printed and placed in three ring binder. Will commence preparation of the bulkheads with sanding them before removing them from plywood sheets.

When I was removing the pieces for the build board I noticed that the laser had not completely burned thru one one sheet. The other two were fine. When I closely examined it, it became apparent that the root cause of this was that the piece of plywood had warped thus causing the problem. It just took a little more work with a fine exacto blade to cure the problem. This was also true on  one sheet of the bulkheads. The  head knee was my next project and it fit together wonderfully, I was surprised at the exactness of the fit. The tapering is now done, I think. I have yet to put in the gammon knee. I may have to taper some for that but we shall see. The three section keel boards are glued and drying.

IMG_20240716_110058.jpg

IMG_20240719_095634.jpg

IMG_20240719_095740.jpg

Added rabbit pieces with no difficulties.  Then progressed to adding pieces 1-4 of keel. They all fit perfectly except #1. It was a smidgen too long so I matched the angle of the piece, 15 degrees, and tilted the table to match, sanded it and it fit perfectly. I had previously fit the head knee. It took a bit more sanding to fit exactly, but not much, these pieces are very precisely cut with laser. I do not have enough weights so i have to be creative. My Ram rotary cutter motor, Drill with heavy battery, small metal anvil and in the little box is a bottle of mercury. That little box weighs more the the drill with battery. Amazing.

IMG_20240723_130916.jpg

IMG_20240723_130925.jpg

IMG_20240722_155323.jpg

IMG_20240723_134650.jpg

IMG_20240723_134740.jpg

Build board about done. Need to add base boards between struts. I used 2 1/2 inch 90 degree metal supports for my struts and glued a 4" basswood strip on each one. I tried to build wood ones, however, I could not get them to have the same gap at the top as the bottom. So I used the metal ones which solved the problem. I tested them with square and I did have to tweak 2 to get the gap identical. Once tweaked they held the same gap.

IMG_20240724_152347.jpg

Nice to see new Winchelsea underway. Welcome to the club!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose