I'm doing the kit, Soleil Royal by Artesania Latina and the person who gave me the kit to build for him doesn't want paint. So for the hull planking, I'm leaning towards Walnut. I'm wondering what the consensus is for Walnut for hull planking, Too dark and too grainy and doesn't look to scale. Any thoughts? I have enough Cherry to do the job.

Thank you for your time.

Tom.

54 minutes ago, Dr PR said:

Walmart??? Spell correction gone haywire?

I was curious about the hull planting.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, Pinas Cross Section
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch), John Smith Shallop

• Solution
13 hours ago, BubbleHead said:

I'm doing the kit, Soleil Royal by Artesania Latina and the person who gave me the kit to build for him doesn't want paint. So for the hull planking, I'm leaning towards Walnut. I'm wondering what the consensus is for Walnut for hull planking, Too dark and too grainy and doesn't look to scale. Any thoughts? I have enough Cherry to do the job.

Thank you for your time.

Tom.

I think it depends about the taste of your client and you. The concensus about Walnut is that it's too coarse/grainy indeed. Personally I would use the Cherry wood you have lying around with some lighter wood for the deck. Maybe here and there a hint of color like the Mantua model:

796crop800_ml.jpg.3e51d1b182936fca556b2bbe1af21c1f.jpg

Currently working on the HMS Sphinx from Vanguard Models

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

I knew what was being said.

I did too.  I was just wondering if somebody had come up with a way to 'lay to rest' my old models.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, Pinas Cross Section
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch), John Smith Shallop

Hi Tom,

You're working to make a "natural" finish, which is more decorative in nature, so I think it's about your color choices and workability, rather than scale accuracy. 

Walnut has a darker tone that most people find pleasing. I've used cherry on ship models, but the color isn't stable, it will darken a lot over time and has a lot of red in it. I like how my cherry planked model looks, but I tend to like the look of walnut better. But, that's just me. Go with what you like or your client likes.

If you do go with walnut, I'd suggest you consider using the kit wood first and cover it with thin strips of walnut. It'll be easier to work.

The single planking on my old 1:100 Vasa was mahogany (as many vintage Billings kits were supplied with).  Mahogany is not as dark as American or English walnut, and has a richer tone than most cherry stock. (Old-growth heartwood cherry may be comparable to mahogany, but I found that cherry can be prone to splitting more than some other woods.) My favorite is new-world mahogany (although pricier now, and harder to obtain) although some don't like the grain size (not as pronounced as oak can be), but that depend on how the wood is cut.

There are some walnuts (not sure of the origin) that are a lighter brown, but any of them can go a lot darker if oil or almost any finish is applied.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I will second the motion on walnut being too coarse-grainy and dark.  I also find it too brittle.  I love cherry for frames/bulkheads and some furniture, but not consistent for planking.  For a model I hope to be a quality piece, I like boxwood for hull planking.  works wee, sands well, staims well.  A bit pricey these days, but...  Another favourite is Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  Not as hard as box.  A little harder than basswood, but works and finishes well (IMO).

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Thank you one and all. I have a couple of models done in cheery and the red came out a little too much. The deeks are all already Alask Yellow Cider on the Soleil Royal. After finishing with Polly they turned darker and I think it looks good. I think I will get enough Walnut to do the hull and other painted parts, make planking, and see how it turns out. Ronald, I like your Soleil Yoral scheme nice work, I think I will do something like it.

Thank You
Tom

i used walnut strip on my HMS terror, ongoing Endurance and HMS Erebus and find it lightens over time when it oxidises- if you look at m Erebus log you will see where i have used old and new stock and the colour has altered over the space of a couple of years.

Keith