SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - FINISHED

me neither..........Andy's given me lots of good ideas  ;)     the molding looks great tom!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

looks good Tom. She's comming right along

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I've been struggling with building the funnel for this craft. Here's what it supposed to look like:

post-106-0-97364000-1385054815_thumb.jpg

And here's what I've come up with so far:

post-106-0-35677100-1385054864_thumb.jpg

I started with a 5/8"brass tube; fabricated a wooden plug to establish the slope of the skirt and drilled the center out to 5/8".

The skirt in the picture is brass which started out something like this reject:

post-106-0-63051300-1385055054.jpg

I'm still not happy with the result, as the edges of the skirt get wobbly with all the handling. I'm going to try fabricating it out of sheet styrene.

The other issue is the rings around the top. I wanted to make them out of brass strip, What's available commercially (that I've been able to find) is strip of the right thickness, but 1/4" wide. I have no way of cutting the 1/4" down to, say, .5 mm. So, first I tried styrene strip of the right size, but there is no adhesive that I could find that will bond plastic to brass. My fallback was wood. What you see in the picture is apple wood and epoxy. It's good and solid, but it's too thick compared to the rings around the stack in the first picture.

I'm hoping that Michael Mott, who drops by this log occasionally, will have some recommendations on how I can "tool up" to be able to cut brass to small dimensions.

Tom

to be honest Tom.......I think it came out quite well.   once painted,  you would never be able to tell them apart  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Tom, regarding the brass strips you might try this outfit  failing that you could try the cutting a strip off some brass foil sheet with an exacto knife and rolling it upon itself, then use a small soldering Iron to bond it into a ring.

I will see if I can do what I am describing as well. Also there are shim-stock sheets supplied by the automotive industry that can easily be cut with scissors.

or a knife.

Another thought is to use the next size up of telescoping brass tube and thinning it down and cutting off a couple of rings.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Popeye, Thanks for the support. I actually think the rings look fine, standalone; they don't look grossly over-sized. I was just comparing them to the picture.

Michael, As I was reading your suggestions, I remembered that Longridge, in his book on the building of Victory, mentions using square wire in its construction. So I googled "square wire" and it turns out that jewelers use it all the time. It's available, in copper, all the way up to 8 guage. Does anybody know what the dimension of 8 guage is?

Tom

Edited by TBlack

Tom, the size depends on what association chart one uses.

American or Brown & Sharp is 0.124890

Birmingham or Subs is 0.165

W &M Music Wire is .0243

British Imperial Std Wire is .192

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

You know Tom I'm not sure, but looking at the picture of the funnel again I think I would go for a couple of wraps of the brass foil. I would guess in real life they would be somewhere in the range of 1-2 inches high by 1/16th to 1/8th thick which is .002 x .041.

Michael

Tom,

Another source of brass shapes is Special Shapes.  They make the brass for K&S but on their web site they have much more.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael, Bob,

New up-date. I figured if my first attempt at rings in wood were a bust, why not stick my neck out a little and see if I could get them down to proper size. If I ruined them, no loss. Anyway, I chucked the tube in the lathe and applied file and sandpaper and got the rings down to less than .5 mm without damage (I think that's less than an inch at 1:48?). Also, I replaced the brass skirt with a styrene one. Take a look:

post-106-0-08292900-1385239598_thumb.jpg

I'm a lot happier with this arrangement. And, Bob, I'll check out Special Shapes in any event; thanks for the tip.

Tom

Edited by TBlack

Hi Tom, The thickness of .5mm is approximately 15/16th of an inch in 1/48 scale I am not trying to be picky Just helpful. I think that skirt looks great I do still think that the wood looks a bit heavy, but that is just my view. It is your model and your decision is what matters.

here is a short chart of the common sizes in 1/48th scale

1/16 = .0013" or .033mm

1/8 = .002" or .066mm

3/16 =.0038" or .098mm

1/4 = .005" or .132mm

3/8 = .007" or .198mm

1/2 = .0104" or .264mm

3/4= .0156" or .396mm

1 = .020" or .525mm

My guess is that the straps wrapping around the stack would be less than 1/2 inch thick but again that is just my guess.

sincerely Michael

Michael & John,

OK, here's another photo with more evidence. I'm hoping you can see the detail. The rings, truly, must be quite thin as they don't seem to stand out at all from this angle. I'm thinking I could use a strip of paper to accomplish the task. Also, to John's point, where the strip is strengthening the guy wires/stays, all you can see is a shiny band; there is another shiny band lower down which would validate John's observation about a second band.

post-106-0-45206800-1385261141_thumb.jpg

Finally, it looks like the top doesn't have a band around it, but rather is flared. I have no way to do that with my tools. My alternative is to put the stack back in the lathe and apply a round file to the band that rings the top. If that ends up looking hokey, then I'll just have to live with a straight stack.

Tom

Tom, I have taken small dia/gauge brass or copper wire and made a ring the size of the stack. Than soldered it to the top of stack and than shaped it with files while turning in lathe. As for bands I have used different gauge brass/copper wire and run it thur a friends roller. It will flatten the wire to different widths depending on how much the bead roller is tightened down per pass.

Your project is looking very good.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Tom, yes you are right in that the top is flared There is a simple way to do that. if you tade a piece of hard wood and drill or cut a hole that the funnel will slip through.

1 file or turn the radius on one edge of the ring.

2 Anneal the top of the funnel so that it is soft then using a rod of brass, or wood,or even a teaspoon you can gently swedge the top to fit the curve in the wood ring, you might need to anneal it a couple of times.

Michael

Tom I just did a quick experiment, the teaspoon doesn't work unless is is really tiny. But a 1/4 inch drill bit works fine

1 5/8 brass tube and I just happened to have a scrap of yew wood that I driled a 5/8 hole through then spun in the lathe to create the curved edge.

post-202-0-99306400-1385264017_thumb.jpg

Then annealed the top edge of the tube.

post-202-0-23358400-1385264019_thumb.jpg

then slipped the wood ring over it

post-202-0-74688300-1385264020_thumb.jpg

Then taking the 1/4 inch drill bit and using the shank end worked it around the edge pressing towards the wood.

post-202-0-32744200-1385264017_thumb.jpg

slipped the ring off and there is the result.

post-202-0-79940300-1385264042_thumb.jpg

I think you would have no trouble doing this.

Michael

Tom,

The ring are looking good.  Anxious to see a photo of the whole boat with the latest additions.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Michael, That looks fabulous, and you make it look so easy!

Only one problem. I can't put the yew piece in my lathe to create the sloped edge My lathe doesn't have the clearance necessary to handle a piece of that diameter. See picture:

post-106-0-65069500-1385317237_thumb.jpg

Tom

Tom I see what you mean.

What happens if you turn the jaws around? do you have a set of reverse jaws for bigger diameters?

failing those two options what about gluing a smaller piece on the back-side or just using some sandpaper to create the curve.

Michael

You just gave me an idea! What I can do is drill the 5/8" hole part way through my "yew piece". Lock the piece in position on the drill press; switch out drills to say 1/4" drill; drill through the yew piece; insert screw and tighten; mount that in the lathe; finish off the lip in the yew piece; reposition at the drill press and finish drilling out the 5/8" hole. Voila!

I'l give it a try, thanks. But just because you can do it doesn't mean I can.

Tom

Tom I look forward to seeing your results.

Michael

Bob, I can't wait to see what the whole thing looks like either, but I've got to get this stack right, as it's a pretty prominent feature on the model.

Also, I'm working on 2 other boats, one for my grandson and the other a restoration of a clipper ship (im getting paid for the latter, o I really need to be working on it).

Tom

It's never good when work and fun collide. 

Bob

I made pretty good progress on the Amanda, and finished the Titanic for my grandson, so I got to try out Michael's suggestion. Duck soup! Very simple, very elegant solution:

post-106-0-19396400-1385947913.jpg

It needs cleaning up and painted flat black, and it's done! I'm delighted.

Michael, you've gotten me through this process and also your help on the pilot house windows. There's just one more sticky wicket: the eagle on top of the pilot house. Any ideas?

Tom

There's just one more sticky wicket: the eagle on top of the pilot house. Any ideas?

Tom I laughed out loud.

You have done a great job on the funnel! it looks super.

Tom Type in "Eagle Charms" into your web browser and look at the images search, you will be amazed

Michael