SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - FINISHED

You can allways leave one of the pilot house doors open. 

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Good to see you back at the workbench Tom, I agree with Druxey, you know it is furnished, now if you had the door open you could have the captain with his hand on the door, either stepping out or stepping in.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

good to see your doing well Tom..    yea,   I hated that as well.  when I did the Cux,  you couldn't see crap because of how small the windows were.   when I did the Mary Ann,  I saw the pilot house,  and said  "not again"!   it was made from scratch with larger windows and the doors were made to open and close.   the M&M ship has large windows.....fitting for a stern trawler pilot house........the Boulogne will sport the same concept,  when I get to that point :)

I'm not one for doing detail that you can't see.....I like to better spend my time on what you can see.   you've done a very nice job with the interior......it is a shame.   but as said,  you know it there.......you did it........an' we saw it! :)   now you'll be able to hand folks a mini mag light,  and they'll be able to look in the windows and see some of your handi-work.  at least,  you didn't do like I did in my Nordkap.....I have two pictures on the wall in there........Popeye and Olive Oyl dancing and a picture of Poopdeck Pappy.   you can see them.......but you have to l :) :) k

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's looking good and we like it.

Stay well.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 1 month later...

I've gotten the boat deck shaped and fitted; it's 1/32" plywood. I'm assuming the decking would have been canvas which I'll simulated with painted card stock, overlapping the edges to create seams.

The second photo shows that the edge of that deck had a wooden border laid over the canvas around the edge.Pretty straightforward.

Tom

post-106-0-03862800-1378570224_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-03331100-1378570490.jpg

Glad to see you back, Tom.  I’ve missed the updates on the Vinal Haven.  She’s looking good.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks Bob, I've had some health issues that side-lined me for a while, and I'm working on a restoration of a clipper ship "Amanda" that is giving me fits and taking its own sweet time (I'll up-date that later). And Robbyn isn't the only one who went to a wedding this August. Here are me and my daughter:

post-106-0-54360300-1378579577_thumb.jpg

John, Vinalhaven is starting to look like something. This deck shouldn't be too hard to put together. It all seems to fit OK.

In that picture I'm actually in tears and she's trying to comfort me. It's the first time I've seen her in that dress..."my little girl" has disappeared and this young woman has taken her place; what the heck happened!?

Tom

Hi Tom.........you've really made some progress with your build.......she looks fantastic!   love the pictures of the bow......are there any of the stern?    congrats on your daughter's wedding........I can agree that they grow too fast.   I have one more at home still......one of these days, he find his calling.....and then leave the nest......I'm not pushing. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Tom.........you've really made some progress with your build.......she looks fantastic!   love the pictures of the bow......are there any of the stern?   

Popeye,

For you, anything always! My fellow yankee inspiration:

I'm in the middle of applying "canvas" to the boat deck.

post-106-0-66317200-1378831610.jpg

post-106-0-44258800-1378831682_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-19516400-1378831743_thumb.jpg

Nice to see some progress Tom.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

AWESOME!!!!!   she looks super Tom........you've really done some fine work there!  really nice lines and curvature.  oh crap!  now I have a tooth ache from all this eye candy  :).............where's the advil   ;)  I hope your happy with your results......you deserve to be!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

she's a beauty.

Bob

Michael, Popeye, Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts and sentiment. For me, this project has been a new frontier, at least above the hull. A squared rigged ship doesn't have a superstructure as such. It has deck furniture. Maintaining the sweep of the sheer line for several decks, and knowing that it would be a visible feature of the model had me pondering. how to go about it. I chose to extend the bulkheads up through to the 01 level which seems to have worked. The other new area was my use of styrene in various places on the model. It has its pluses and minuses, but is a helpful medium especially around the pilot house.

The only area yet to do that has me in a quandry is the eagle on top of the pilot house. I'm hoping to produce something that passes. We'll see.

Tom

Michael, Popeye, Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts and sentiment. For me, this project has been a new frontier, at least above the hull. A squared rigged ship doesn't have a superstructure as such. It has deck furniture. Maintaining the sweep of the sheer line for several decks, and knowing that it would be a visible feature of the model had me pondering. how to go about it. I chose to extend the bulkheads up through to the 01 level which seems to have worked. The other new area was my use of styrene in various places on the model. It has its pluses and minuses, but is a helpful medium especially around the pilot house.

The only area yet to do that has me in a quandry is the eagle on top of the pilot house. I'm hoping to produce something that passes. We'll see.

Tom

It's always a challange to figure out how to build a scratch build and you've done a great job. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Except for some stain on the moulding, I've finished the boat deck. It's not secured yet, as I have to install support pillars along the edge and I thought it might be easier to fit them before securing the deck.

The moulding is basswood subjected to scraping with a razor blade. Pretty straightforward except at the forward end. There's an "S" curve that gave me fits. But we came through it largely intact.

post-106-0-01837900-1380122167_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-76882900-1380122178_thumb.jpg

like it............I love it!   superbly done!   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Tom, that shot of the stern shows just how well you have got this solved. The mouldings look wonderful.

Michael

you seem to have done quite well without it...........but I can agree,  I don't have any knowledge of it either.  I was looking at some of the plans....from the links that Bob has on his thread.  I mentioned to the admiral that it would be nice to know.    it started her digging around looking......"what do they use on you ship site?"..........."I dunno".........."well........don't you think you ought to find out!"   she's a real peach, Tom.........she loves what we do......I show her pictures  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

Isn't it great when the admiralty has an appreciation for our art/craft/science/hobby?

I have a brother who is an architect and who tried to give me a "simple" CAD program to use. The manual is 1.5" thick!.....too much information! The program resides on my computer gathering dust (pixels?).

Tom

sounds like you would have a good teacher :)     by some stroke of luck,  I've stumbled onto one...but I need to figure out the registration........I don't want to fib....I'm as green as the grass ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Slick build..

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Well done all the way around, Tom.  The moldings set it off nicely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)