SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - FINISHED

Tom those will look great.When you start your filing it works well to have piece of filler rod inside the tube you are filing. and do the filing before you cut it off the main stock. Ask me how I know.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

OK, I'll bite.....How do you know? Regardless, it's good advice. Anyway, I had to order on line. $1.75 for the rod and $8.00 for shipping. Something is out of whack, and it won't get here until Jan 7. I'll work on the boats until then.

John,

I'm looking at the time of your latest encouraging remark, and realizing that there's a 14 hour difference between your place and mine. That means you posted at 6:30 AM? Early riser?

Tom

Edited by TBlack

she looks great Tom.........you've done some really nice detail work to the pilot house.  funnel looks really nice as well ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A lovely built Oldtimer Steamer Tom

These typ boats have real character, and yours has an interesting hull for shallow Waters, probably a river Steamer

Looks great.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils,

Thanks for the compliment. Vinal Haven used to sail out of Rockland, Maine servicing the islands in the Penobscot Bay area from 1892 to 1938. She's a typical configuration for steamers of that era.

Also, thanks to all of you for the "likes". I appreciate the support..

While I'm waiting for the turnbuckle brass to arrive, I'm turning to the boats. They're big, 5.25" long, but no interior, as they are covered. I thought I would build them POB style. I think it might be easier for me to make sure they are duplicates.

Tom

Edited by TBlack

Tom with the small tubing if you file it while it is attached it is much easier to hold onto because you need to remove quite a lot of the tube to make it look like the picture you posted and if you cut them to length first you end up losing them either to the floor or to a snag while filing because there is so little tube left by the time you are done.. it also helps to have a small v groove in a block of hardwood for the filing. I will sort out a picture of what I am trying to describe.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Amazing job Tom , I should be on your Christmas list

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

This was only my second try, but I think I've gotten it. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but my camera doesn't do close-ups. The flip side of the turnbuckle looks like the side you're viewing.

The wire in the center (28 gauge) is a good idea if only to stiffen things up while filing.

post-106-0-63211400-1388718305.jpg

Also, I decided to paint out the moulding around the boat deck. It looks big and clunky to me next to the moulding around the pilot house, and it's less obvious if painted. Also, the real boat didn't have brightwork up there. I promise never to use bass wood for moulding again!

post-106-0-53997700-1388718591_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good to me Tom. Looks like you are getting the hang of working this brass stuff.

Happy new year to you Sir.

Michael

Amen to that, John.

Michael, thanks for all your help on the pilot house, the stack, the turnbuckles. You've gone way out of your way to aid me.

Andy, I think those dentils look pretty good. You certainly can't tell they're plastic, thanks for the suggestion.

And guys, thanks for all the "likes", BTW, Wacko, what are you doing up at 3:40 AM?

If my work looks pleasing to you, a large part of that is due to this website. It inspires me to try just a little bit harder and not to be afraid to throw out a first attempt, or even a second until I've got what I want.

Tom

Fine work on the turnbuckel it goes well with such a fine boat.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

all within the art of creation..........I wonder if  'He' threw out the  'first attempt'?    sorry 'bout that.......I just had to jot that one down.

I think you did well Tom.........it gives the build a nice contrast of art work.    your also finding out that different textures of wood,  behaves differently under certain circumstances.   I owe a lot of kudos to the site as well,   but your perseverance to create,  should also be counted.  ;)    you've done an admirable job :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye,

The first attempt got lost to the floor. I thought, by inserting a black wire in the middle of the tube , that in filing down the outside of the tube I would come to the black wire and know to stop. Actually, what happens is that the flashing from the filing covers up the black wire and you end up filing straight through the tube! Second attempt: file a little bit and plunge the black wire back and forth cleans out the flash and you know when to stop filing. Anyway, all 4 turnbuckles done. But I think I need #3 piano wire for the stays to ensure that they are straight.

In the meantime, I've been working on the ladder and eagle. This is Andrieke's eagle, by the way. A terrific tip and a huge saver!

post-106-0-60285100-1389061750_thumb.jpg

Tom

I’ve been waiting for the ladder and it looks great.  And the eagle is just right.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Tom, things look to be coming together very nicely.

Michael

super additions to the helm deck Tom.........whether you try your hand,  or simply paint the eagle gold,  I think it will look perfect  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

January has been a cold month here, and, with my workshop in the basement, the working conditions have not been ideal. Nevertheless, I've been (slowly) working on the life boats. I determined that they are 5.25" long. I got a plan out of a book (thank you Portia) and sized it on the copier to the proper length. Now, I'm just putting them together. They have a canvas cover over them, so I don't need to do the interiors.

post-106-0-53355600-1391624020_thumb.jpg

The stays, with turnbuckles, for the stack all came out fine. I'll see if I can get a decent photo, but I've got a poor camera for detail work.

Tom

Looks like a lovely life boat to go with your fine Vinal Haven.

Bob

is that what your doing........making the frames and planking them?   since your covering them with canvas.....sounds like a good simple approach.......looking very good  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Tom,

You 'snuck' in that eagle while I was away and I missed it completely. 

John

John, That eagle was due to a suggestion from Andrieke (the benefits of community). It comes from a supplier to the model railroad guys. I'm delighted with the result, and a pretty easy solution, too.

Popeye, That's it; bulkheads around a former and then cover the whole thing with "canvas". Here's the real thing:

post-106-0-83582800-1391651039_thumb.jpg

Tom

Looks good Tom, its a model not a piano.

Michael

• 1 month later...

I finished the boats. I need to install the tie-downs and trim up the "canvas" covers. The "canvas" is 2 pieces of kleenex soaked in a solution of glue and then draped over the boat to dry.

post-106-0-95807900-1394821751_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-14409200-1394821781_thumb.jpg

I've been slow to work on this boat this winter, maybe because I'm coming to the end of the trail, and I don't know what to do next!

Tom

Edited by TBlack

real nice looking ship Tom,

also the two boats look very realistic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

It took you a lot of thought and work but you built a boat to be proud of.  Well done.

Bob