Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

Nice looking dah on that lobsta pot, Popeye. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob....I don't have another test subject.  the other ones need to look a little bit better than that one.  the joint of the frame needs improvement....looks too bulky.   thanks for the good word and looking in ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

Very well done on the pot door, it's often the little details that finish a model off and make it look that bit special, and you've done that superbly.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie and John.........if you liked that.......you'll like the next update. :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

NIce job on the trap door Popeye,...... I'm surprised  you haven't  made  some lobsters to go in your traps !! (  not yet anyway !)

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

yes Carl........more pictures soon.........thanks for looking in!  ;)

hello frank........yea,  the first one is OK....but I think I can do better.  as I mentioned,  this one trap is to be stored out of the way anyhow.....it's a test.   I haven't even painted those buggers yet.......I've been too busy with other aspects.   when I get to them,  I'll get'em right on here ;)   thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, you never cease to amaze and inspire me. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you gentlemen......I'm just going where this build takes me....that's all.  I should have more progress soon. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Sjors.......I promised an up date......just a minute.....:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this update is on the sort table.  I have the majority of the assembly in this session......there is more to come.   I wanted to do it as simple as possible,  but as I was making it......well,  it kinda snowballed.  it started by making the back and left side,  using 3/32 square stock to create the locator tabs and legs

post-612-0-22837500-1363364472.jpg

post-612-0-65418900-1363364481.jpg

post-612-0-64485000-1363364492.jpg

then a divider wall was made,  and the front face for what is to be the cooler for the catch.

post-612-0-40406100-1363364588.jpg

post-612-0-58426700-1363364597.jpg

post-612-0-61428400-1363364622.jpg

I was curious to see how it fit......I measured it in the beginning.....but I was still curious.  I also trimmed and finished off the sail.....I was going to lash it to the mast further,  but I think it's fine just the way it is

post-612-0-94995700-1363364983.jpg

I bought this a while ago.......I was looking in the clearance bin at the craft store,  and I found a couple packages of corrigated aluminum for model train layouts.  this stuff is .002 x 5 x 7 .....and the .030 corigate spacing is suitable for HO trains.  I will used this to cover the cooler.  I got them for half price,  because they were damaged.....small scratches and slightly bent.

post-612-0-06964800-1363365330.jpg

post-612-0-84002800-1363365346.jpg

more work was done to the second bin,  as well as the cover for the cooler.

post-612-0-48619200-1363365448.jpg

post-612-0-84248700-1363365461.jpg

post-612-0-52261800-1363365479.jpg

post-612-0-93974200-1363365500.jpg

post-612-0-31535800-1363365545.jpg

the bottom was cemented in the second bin.  this is to be an 'L' shaped piece of furniture,  and the right hand side was made up.

post-612-0-71411700-1363365650.jpg

post-612-0-73733300-1363365663.jpg

post-612-0-62621100-1363365675.jpg

post-612-0-08570800-1363365686.jpg

one more side to go on the cover......then it can be sanded and covered in the aluminum as well.  as mentioned,  there is more.   I had to get the admiral's computer up and running,  so there is a bit of a break here.   the computer she was using is gone now.......headed back to the store.  as mentioned on my Gothenborg build,  I had to give up the keyboard I was using,  because it belonged to that computer.   it's been a real pain to do this update on this crappy keyboard.......hopefully she will come home with a new one for me.  perhaps I should register with Model expo in antisipation ;)

post-612-0-96488200-1363364995.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work, as always!  Typing doesn't appear to be too badly impaired by the keyboard (although we only see the final output, not the growling revisions :)

Dinged and scratched liner ought to work out fine on a working boat - thanks for the update!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hey Popeye, that's looking pretty cool. The corrugated sheet is really cool and will really add an authentic feel. I'd like to see some pictures of this piece in place on the lobster boat.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I hurried up and got the other part together for you.   the cover was completed,  and sanded.  then it was covered with the aluminum and cemented in place.

post-612-0-55948300-1363367144.jpg

post-612-0-37580700-1363367153.jpg

post-612-0-35644000-1363367160.jpg

post-612-0-10682700-1363367169.jpg

post-612-0-29761300-1363367179.jpg

then,  the  'L' section of the table was finished

post-612-0-83803500-1363367259.jpg

post-612-0-33460800-1363367272.jpg

post-612-0-95720300-1363367336.jpg 

so, here it is......dry fitted in place.   I have to make a few things for it still,  but the main part of it is complete.

post-612-0-64960500-1363367559.jpg

post-612-0-17803000-1363367572.jpg

post-612-0-82536300-1363367581.jpg

post-612-0-63616000-1363367600.jpg

no.........it's not leaving the table just yet!  ahhh,  now that I have him back in my clutches again.....I have a couple more aspects,  I think I will work on.   more updates soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Excellent pictures! That is a really nice addition. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

hey Patrick.......I think you read my mind.......or I read yours    hee......hee.........heee!

thanks Wayne.....that's what I thought when i saw the stuff in the bin.....it's amazing some of the things yiou can find there.   I even found a package of hinges......someone tore the package.   I've been correcting the mistakes in my typing......believe me......this really boots!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick.......this is probably the main reason why I have so many builds lying around.......I hate waiting for paint or glue to dry.  I have to keep busy.   more updates soon.........thanks again guys!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She looking a very accomplished vessel my friend, you've done a superb job on her,  well done.

Just 1 question Popeye, how many pots do expect to carry ?. Your deckspace is getting smaller all the time.

I'm not familiar with this type of boat and so ask from a position of ignorance, as always.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Depends what season - here is a photo of a slightly older vessel heading out early in the season to set traps.

To see what could be a sister vessel to the Denny-Zen, see http://bellaremyphotography.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/20120725-img_0443.jpg

oldboat.jpg

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Oi, you got 'nough space for couple o' six packs ... thirsty works pullin' lobsters from cagies

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Those work tables look terrific!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Damn Denis How do you it???? All these builds going on at once. Your fast too. She is looking really cool buddy!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

thanks everyone!   I really appreciate the good word.

I plan on four that will be at different stages on the sheer skids....and one that will be tucked under the sheer in a compartment.  I have to get back to making the doors for the other ones.  to look at other boats....every inch of space is geared for making money.  thanks for looking in Mobbsie :)

that one is just a tad different Wayne,   but that just goes to show the small differences from one to the other.  these are cool seeing that they can be done any way you want

I think a smaller cooler could be shoved somewhere Carl ;)

thanks for the good word Augie  ;)

thanks Mario........I can only work on one at a time......and I can remain busy while paint or glue is drying  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yea,  I know John.......that little problem still plagues me.   I've been looking around for others.......the cost of these little guys is astounding!    I may have an idea though......I'll see if it pans out.   if not,  I'm afraid these will be the only props to grace the deck.

thanks for looking in...and the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: