HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Eamonn,

No, 'fraid not (I don't have the book), but I did read his section about sails on-line, which I thought was good.

So, he cheats as well then? :o

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Eamonn

Yes Tamiya tape is a must,only thing that comes as close is signwriters masking tape,although this is a little more tacky and may dislodge some paint on removal.For the ultimate,looks like it has been 'put on with a laser' result,Apply the tape and then one coat along the edge of the colour the tape is sat on ,then apply the colour you are actually painting.Using this and Tamiya tape will give a perfect result.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Guys,

Kester..  nice to know eh ? ^_^  tis a decent book too !

Nigel.. have sourced the tape in Ireland and will see about picking up a couple of different widths.. nuttin too wide I suppose !

Brilliant tip there too Bud, I shall be availing of that ! as my current results are feathery to say the least, not really a big concern at the mo, as I'm only doing preliminary work.. but in a few weeks I'd be pulling the hair out trying to get a clean line!

Cheers

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Mate

I use the 6mm to get the line and 18mm to hold any additional paper masking etc in place as this stuff doesn't pull paint off unless there is adhesion problems in the original paint application.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Looking good Eamonn!   Nigel's info on painting is spot on!  The only thing I can add is very thin coats to avoid ridges.  

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks Dee_Dee, all these great tips kinda makes me want to begin painting proper! anything to procrastinate the flippin Joggling eh ?

I know I know get Joggling ! :rolleyes:

Slán

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

You know Margin Planks.. well do you know the thing about Margin Planks?... You see the thing about Margin Planks is that Margin Planks are a bit if a Git ! !!!!!!  :huh:  :huh:   ^_^  :rolleyes:  

Am having Huge Fun as you can see.. :P

Slán

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Another trick you can try to get a clean edge is to spray or brush a clear (gloss or matte, either will work) over the Tamiya tape and the demarcation with the area you wish to paint. This clear barrier helps prevent the new color from seeping under the tape. A slight variation on what Nigel suggested. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks Joe, this is all good stuff.. keep the tips/suggestion coming .. any suggestions for Margin Planks?    Mine goes something like this..  1. get strip of wood wider than you require.. 2 . draw shape of Margin Plank section.. 3. carefully cut out section paying particular attention to the edges... 4. refine edges using sandpaper.. 5. Dry fit section and adjust accordingly using files or sandpaper.. 6. Repeat '5' as required..   Once you ascertain the Margin Plank Section is perfect carefully and methodically throw the whole thing into the garbage bin and just do the deck normally ! :P :P only kiddin, I'll get there eventually.

Slán,

Eamonn

Just a small tip mate,just concentrate on the outside edge where it abuts the bulwark,do this for all the sections incorporating scarf joints if you desire.When you have all the sections in place,label with a pencil and remove.Turn the point the opposite way in a compass and set the gap at your desired width.Then use the compass to scribe the width of your margin planks ;) All you have to do is cut close to the line and finally size with sandpaper.No special tools like oddleg dividers required.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

What Nigel said! And.yes my margin planks boggled me too.. Joggling is pretty easy once you get it happening... To get the curve on margin planks against bulwark try cutting a paper template first then transfer to timber on angle that suits best coverages of plank.. Then cut the internal curve last as Nigel.said.. Ballyhoo is looking hooty hoo.. Real.fine.. Ollie

As with Nigels post - I was planning onshaping the outer edge of the margin planks to fit the bulwarks and then use a compass to scribe a pencil mark to give inner edge to be cut down to.

Easily said, how easily done is an entirely diffrent matter....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

If you find the timber to be splintery or the blade goes where it wants,you can stick some automotive masking tape(you need the stickier stuff than the Tamiya tape)to the to face of what will become the margin plank.This allows the blade to follow the line rather than the woodgrain and also stops the timber from wanting to split when doing the curved sections ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Lads, am off to cut margin planks... I may be a while, and strong alcohol may get involved to calm the shot nerves !! :rolleyes:  if anyone hears me suggest clever stuff like this again you have my permission to come over here and 'Flick me around the Ears!'  :D

Cheers Guys

Eamonn

Margin Plank Photos

Only the edge abutting the Bulwarks has been shaped, and even that is somewhat roughly done.. will proper fit all at later stage, there will be a Spirketting or whatever that Skirting Board looking Plank thing is called, so to have an absolutely perfect bulwark fit won't be a high priority though I do want it neat as my 'deck planking' side measurement (in my case 6 mm width)  will be taken off it as per Nigel's tip above.

The Plan photo shows my calculations for creating the Water Line, with the final line drawn on the hull in such a way that Heath Robinson would have been proud ! :rolleyes: btw Tamiya tape arrived on scene today !

Thanks for Looking in Folks.

Slán,

Eamonn

post-5925-0-62383400-1397235828_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-37560700-1397235851_thumb.jpg

That wasn't so bad after all mate :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:Please don't take this as criticism,more a suggestion.The two triangular voids at either side of the transom,inbetween the uprights and the bulwarks,to me,look a little strange.Personally I would be tempted to fill these with timber triangles.I know you have painted the insides,but doing this will make life an awful lot easier in the long run as the waterway/spirketing will be a nightmare in that little corner..Incidentally,waterway sits in the corner,spirketing is thicker inner hull/bulwark planking running from said waterway up to the lower cill of the gunports ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hey There Nigel, I might just address those little wee Transom corners spaces with wood now that you mention them, particularly as I'm doing 'Spirketting' (right word then.. ^_^ ) though it should fit in there comfortably, they are odd fiddly looking spaces all the same, they seem to be part of the transom design mind you, but that design isn't allowing for my inspired adaptions.. :huh:  :huh: :huh:  :rolleyes:   :huh:

The Margin Planking is only laid down on top of each other, they aren't cut to correct length yet as I do indeed want to scarf joint them! there is plenty of overlap there at the mo.

Oh Yea.. Margin Planking is a delight.. am just amazed everyone isn't doing it !!!!! am going to recommend it to all my friends on MSW here (am a big fan of spreading the misery you see.. :rolleyes: )

BTW I never take your Suggestions as Criticism.. you are safe enough to suggest away ! ;)

All The Best Nigel

Eamonn

Hi mate

Yes I realise it is Caldercraft's design of the skeleton that causes the voids.In reality they would have been the 'ears' of the stern upright(Even I don't know what this pieces proper name is without looking it up :D  :D  :D) and tight in the corner,but as this is a POB kit,they have chosen really the only route possible.without making the kit too complex as this piece would be shaped in two planes.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Yea, that would indeed have been a tough piece to fashion for them, I think I'll follow your advice and 'fill' them in.. the beefed up appearance may well look better too.. more substantial ! save me mucking about with Margin & Spirketting there too, and anything to procrastinate more Margin work ,, :P  though remarkably I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it properly.. weird eh?

Thanks for the advice Bud

Eamonn

Eamonn,

I would actually suggest that your margin plank is a little wide. I can't find any figures, but I made mine about half as much again as the deck planking, which looks about right.

I also fitted one, or rather three short pieces, across the stern between the standards, or support brackets for the transom. The standards on Sherbourne are longer than on your Ballahoo, so I had the problem of shaping the deck planks around them. Yours are much shorter, so I would think a margin plank here would accommodate these, giving you a straight line to begin the deck planking from.

I also don't know if you remember this thread:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4058-how-to-do-deck-edging/

Hope this helps.

Kester

I was wondering about the stern area Kester between those upright frames ! in fact I was trawling through build logs to see what people did for that area..

Worry ye not re the margarine plank width, they are just that wide to give me plenty of overlap to draw the 6mm margin proper which is spot on to your suggestion of being 1.5 times the deck plank thickness (which is 4mm)  and some of this width will be absorbed by the Spirketting (1mm thick) too , so it should be grand.

What does everyone else think re Margin Planking up against the stern/transom area?

Thanks For Stopping By Kester and to all the Likes.

Eamonn

BTW Thanks for the link.. nice to know it isn't just me.. ^_^

Edited by egkb

For me personally,I would be tempted to fit one mate,if only for aesthetic reasons.Whether or not it had one historically,I don't know,but it would not only make the job easier and neater,as you may encounter planks that need notching beyond what was normal practice to fit around the uprights.With the margin plank you are guaranteed not to have any 'dodgy' narrow pieces next to the uprights ;)

Just caught up with your log Eamonn. Links are a wonderful thing. Great work on your build  and Nigel is steering you very well. I will be a watcher from now on and if I can advise I will. A fine ship it is that you are making.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Nigel and welcome along Alistair, as you can gather suggestions & tips are very welcome, so please suggest away if you see something that needs doing.

So I think that's unanimous voting for Kesters Idea !! Thanks folks for the input.. I'll knock up a piece in the next few days, am off now for some serious margin plank procrastinating, my Tamiya Tape arrived so I might just get on with finishing the first coats on the hull.

See Ye All Later and Have a Brilliant Weekend.

Eamonn

So I think that's unanimous voting for Kesters Idea !!

Eamonn,

Steady - I'm blushing already! :blush:

Kester

Quick Photo Update..

Hull is painted to about 99% complete, just touch-up's required now.

Next up for Ballier is to put those 'triangular' pieces between the Bulwarks & the Port/Stbd. Transom Frames, then get on with the Margin Doodah ^_^  ^_^  Oh Joy.. :rolleyes:

Incidentally the 'White Stuff' isn't near as severe as it looks in the photos, it is a very off white, but the Studio Flash brightens it.. honestly it does :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Thanks For Checking In

Eamonn

post-5925-0-04067100-1397401656_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-15190000-1397401658_thumb.jpg