Micro chisles

I have several different sets of the Dockyard brand from Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/category/5/1001138/2001361/DOCKYARD%20Micro%20Carving%20Tools.aspx

We might as well have topic on these little jewels since sooner or later, we all want to carve.  Or maybe not all of us. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You know one could get a serious case of tool wants looking at links like these. I don't know if there is a known cure!

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have a friend that helped custom make one for me specifically to cut gun ports for ships in bottles.  If you need something custom send me a PM.  I'll get you his info.  

Mark, I was looking at those also. I have the dog leg flat set, love em. I was surprised to see a set from two cherries and down to 0.5 mm for some. The Two Cherries brand is partially responsible for my chisel love affair (fetish? Obsession?) :)

Micheal, yea I hear you, I have become a bit of a chisel lover over the years, the guys at work always rib me when I pull out one of my rolls of chisels. "Uh-oh! Geppetto is in the house!" But who do they go too when they need a sharp chisel???;)

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Does anyone have a good method of sharpening micro chisels that they could share?  I use a honing guide for larger chisels, but it won't work for micro chisels.

Frank

Q-As Revenge,

I think your right about the chisels being more difficult to make, also perhaps since they are more of a specialty item that might make them more expensive? 

Frank, 

I use a Tormek for most of my sharpening it has several jigs that make it easy to sharpen most anything to a reasonable level. Its kind of prcey PRICEY if you want it just for micro chisels but you can but BUY the guide bar and attachment seperately and install them on your own slow grinder. Also take a look at Micro Mark, I saw a screwdriver sharpener the other day, maybe you could modify something like that as a guide to help you? 

Sam

Edited by src

Sam (SRC)

Thanks for mentioning the MM screwdriver sharpener.  This might work, especially if I rig up another holder for water stones and use the Veritas angle setter, which I already have.  I already have a similar tool on order from Highland Woodworking (much more expensive).  I'm thinking that if it doesn't do the job I'll order the screwdriver sharpener and return the pricey one.

Frank

For sharpening.. the link I gave above has a sharpening system available.  There's also the Scary Sharp system post-76-0-25276000-1391136233.gif which is probably one of the best.  There's been several topics around here on the same question of sharpening and all have had solid answers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark/Frank, the scary sharp method is nice, especially to get started. You can make a base plate large enough to flatten/sharpen most anything, and its super cheap to boot.

Edit: That little sharpening system on the link is nice too, I may have to  look into that. Hmmmm Birthday is coming up.......

Sam

Edited by src

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone considered using jewelers hand gravers ? They come in a wide variety of profiles and can be quite narrow. They are had either in high speed or carbide steel. There are a number of shapes / styles available for the wood handle as well. They could well make carving in tight confines a lot easier. Could be used for moldings as well, but I think the razor blade with a cut profile works best and is most uniform for that.

I would think that re-profiling (take care not to overheat) the back of the graver to yield a sharper blade angle might suit the job of wood cutting a bit better. I know I will experiment with this idea when I am moved and in my new shop..... For anyone curious now though, just look up " graver " and you can see what I mean.

Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

Looking at all of these web sites with the carving tools, I wonder why anyone would pay $45 to $70 for one of those chisels (unless you are a real pro).

It also seems that there is a mix-up here between 'carving' and 'turning' chisels.

I am sorry, but I think that when it comes to carving, I would want to get some 'cheapies', learn how to use them and, perhaps then, buy some good ones.

I don't recall the thread, but I thought there was one that explained how you can make your own using good steel. I have briefly tried it, but decided I am no good at it and not an artist like some of us here.

Any one? Janus??

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

Ed Tosti talks about making his own chisels in his book (possibly here too).

Regarding sharpening, I've tried all sorts of sharpening jigs. But I'm cheap and lazy, and I prefer a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper glued to a sheet of plate glass. I use that method all the time with pretty good results. I've tried sharpening gouges that way, but they are trickier. If I can shave the back of my hand with it, it's good enough for me.

But then, your mileage may vary . . .

Thanks,

Harvey

Hi Jay,

Knowledge is key above all else really ...and experience I suppose. When it comes to something like carving, I tend to think like you do also....learn the skill and practice a lot....buy decent, but not neccessarily top of the line to start with, and then, if one enjoys what they are doing, perhaps upgrade to better tools.

Some folks seem to have an inate skill with a tool like a chisel and develop a touch fairly quickly, others do not...for some it takes a long time to develop. But like anything, if you want to be a master at a particular skill, you must have the desire and perseverance to learn it and the patience to practice.

I know very few artists or brain surgeons that became masters overnight !

I think for many, the decision to buy something like mini or micro chisels over making them is based a lot on the convenience of it. It takes even more knowledge and other tools to make a set !

As Sir Walter Raleigh once said...." The quality remains long after the price is forgotten ". A specialty cutting tool, like a plane or a chisel not only takes a certain skill to operate proficiently, but also to maintain it. However, in doing so, one is rewarded with beautiful, clean cuts and can acheive a desired level of finish much easier, and without the frustration that comes with an inferior tool.

In the case of jewelry gravers, which are designed to cleanly cut or engrave metals, one must often hone and lap the cutting edge after only a few cuts...but that is the discipline it takes to acheive a high standard of finish. Also, any tool like a chisel or a graver, with an exposed cutting edge needs to be stored properly so that the cutting edge is not exposed to hard surfaces...mine all have their own individual slot in a drawer lined with soft felt. My father always told me to take care of my tools and equipment, and they will take care of you.

BTW- I don't own any of those $75 chisels either, but I do hope my skills one day will justify their future purchase !

Cheers,

Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

MH Crafters has a great price on the dockyard chisel sets. The 4 piece dogleg/micro-bench chisel set is $38 versus other retailers I've seen selling it for $50 and over

http://www.mhcrafters.com/servlet/the-Dockyard-Tools/Categories

Also Cape Forge makes some excellent chisels and knives for those interested. I have an order with them being processed at the moment. One nice thing with Cape Forge is its a father and daughter family business and they hand forge al their stuff. Plus They make custom blades to order in what ever your needing, shape or size wise.

http://www.capeforge.com/index.html

Sorry Sam, but yes I HAD to post it.
If I'm going to be bitten by the buy-buy bug then I figure everyone else should be also.

Seriously, I've been in contact with Karyn at Cape Forge several times and she has been helping me figure out what I wanted/needed. Look on their custom page at the "battleaxe". They couldn't make the triple blade battleaxe in the 3/4" size I wanted but they are making a two bladed fishtail skew that is very similar and should work for what I'm needing. I was told custom work usually takes 3 - 5 weeks so I have a short wait before delivery. I'll be sure and post a review once they arrive so everyone has some added info. For me I just got tired of broken surgical blades. I also like the fact that there carbon steel rather then stainless, which in my years as a butcher I found to be superior in sharpening and simple stropping in order to keep it like a razor.

I also love my Veritas carvers knife I purchased from Lee Valley but its time for just a bit more blade as the boxwood I'm attempting to carve is really a bear on blades.
I held back on the $29 price of the Veritas for a LONG time but I have to say, the Aluminum body with brass fitting is a VERY solid tool and kicks sand in the face of all other exacto-esk handles I've tried. It also is not round and won't round off the table. The storage in the handle is also a very nice feature.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31088&cat=1,130,43332,43393&ap=1