Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

I vote for staining them but it will look fine either way.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

One of the universal modelers law: as pieces ar smaller, there will be more of them

;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

YOUR IS COMING ALONG JUST SUPERB C. STEVE.

MARIO

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 3 weeks later...

Arrr …

It ‘as been awhile since me last update, but that be only ‘cause I ‘as been busy in the shipyard …

Occasionally …

For starters, me thwart knees now be in:

post-675-0-72102800-1414503557_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-84841000-1414503568_thumb.jpg

Although there was only the one vote cast (Thank you, Jesse), ultimately, CaptainSteve doth be a fan of democracy.

… and me Tool Chest be lookin’ like this:

post-675-0-36492400-1414503606_thumb.jpg

EDIT: For those with a quick eye, the brace 'n' bit in the above pic has not yet been fixed into place

post-675-0-33728600-1414503626_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Here, our Hero didst simply applyeth a thin layer of PVA glue to the inside o' his chest, and didst thence add a few pinches of saw-dust.

"Let thee glue set," CaptainSteve did addeth. "And then invert the tool-chest, tapping rapidly upon its' base to unsettle any residual traces."

post-675-0-45055900-1414503632_thumb.jpg

"Incidentally", CaptainSteve didst helpfully add, "I forgetteth to mention that thee straps holdin' me saws in place I didst maketh wi' strips o' black card."

"Oh yeah !! An' me chisels ... well, they once was the 'legs' trimmed from a couple o' staples ... merely simple office supplies. And thee saw-blades they-selves, were salvaged from an Exacto mini-sawblade I didst breaketh just the day afore."

post-675-0-35088400-1414503639_thumb.jpg

"Arr .. ye shall be needin' a rubber neck to spot me saws once the tool-box be finally a-fixed into position."

The hinges and trunk clasp were both made using the kit-supplied copper strip which hadst been oxidised in the blue patina purchased earlier. Our Hero didst merely cutteth a single link from a piece of costume jewelry and thence oxidised it to create the lock loop at the front o' the chest.

Nonetheless, our Hero confesses that he didst kinda, sorta cheat with the hinges ...

“Look," didst CaptainSteve most humbly admit, "Mario's hinges they be stunning !! But thee bluddy things they be no more ‘an 4mm across, so I didst thinketh unto me own self,
‘Self, why the f*** wouldst thou doest that untoeth thine own self ??’”

In the end, CaptainSteve didst simply fold the 4mm long pieces of copper in half lengthwise.

post-675-0-01476500-1414503612_thumb.jpg

Next up, our Hero didst decideth to tackle the boat’s oars:

“Firstly, I didst cutteth-out and shapeth the templates supplied … “

post-675-0-79939400-1414503649_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-60632400-1414503655_thumb.jpg

“ … and thence didst I applieth some colouration unto them.”

post-675-0-70741500-1414503662_thumb.jpg

(Yes, that doth happen to be a band of Docker Purple immediately above the oar blades.)

Having painted his oars, and wishing to continue the theme of creating a well-travelled and weather-beaten appearance, our Hero didst next lightly sand them back ….

post-675-0-60732500-1414503673_thumb.jpg

And here, CaptainSteve doth sigh most heavily …
“Thusly, we dost cometh unto me latest conundrum. This next pic cometh directly from the plans … and showeth lashings upon the oars.”

post-675-0-73672000-1414503686_thumb.jpg

Our Hero explains: “Whilst I haveth narry aproblem wi’ lashing me oars, I doth wisheth to know which COLOURATION of thread I shouldst use for doin’ these lashings!!”

Wouldst oar lashings have been tarred (black thread) … or nay (tan thread) ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

YOUR IS COMING ALONG JUST SUPERB C. STEVE.

MARIO

Thank you, Mario ... yours was one of the builds which I repeatedly checked out when agonizing over the look I wanted to create !!!

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

JUST OUTSTANDING STEVE!!! LIKED HOW YOU ADDED THE TRENAILS AND THE STAINING OF THE TOOL CHEST LOOKS GREAT. VERY NICE WORK ON THE TOOLS.

MARIO

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Wow! Looking great! Love that tool chest. I have no clue about the oar lashings.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Really nice tool box and oars, Steve. I used tan lines for the oars, but since yours will be weathered, I'd go with a dark brown.

Oh an' whilst I doth haveth me camera out ....

post-675-0-41479800-1414510986_thumb.jpg

"With this pic, I didst tryeth to show the grooves worn into me gunwales from oar usage," CaptainSteve didst begin to boast.

But, in truth, he didst merely taketh his circular file to make a groove and then touch-up with the Golden Teak stain used for the wales.

(Future pics will show that our Hero hath since re-filed the oar grooves and re-touched/dry-brushed them with the darker Oak stain.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Boy did I ever miss a build and a half here, what a great job your doing Steve.

I love every thing about this little boat.

With your permission Steve I pull up a tool box.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Wahoo, that is some of the finest weathering and "aged" wood I've had the pleasure to see. :cheers:

This one is bookmarked for additional study.

Slainte!

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wonderful, Captain.  Just wonderful.   On the lashing.. the instructions sayeth "lashings or leather".  So.. make 'em leather... brown.  If rope... not tarred.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

... I used tan lines for the oars, but since yours will be weathered, I'd go with a dark brown.

Wonderful, Captain.  Just wonderful.   On the lashing.. the instructions sayeth "lashings or leather".  So.. make 'em leather... brown.  If rope... not tarred.

Arrr ... 

Thanks heaps to Mark and Tom for the quick responses to me question (one of the many true strengths of this site) !!

CaptainSteve doth now haveth a few options at hand fer doin' his oar-lashings.

"The first which I be keen to try out,"  our Hero didst begin, "doth involve cutting very thin strips from a chamois cloth I didst happen to recently purloin from work."

But, alas and alack !!! 

For this coming weekend, CaptainSteve doth faceth the horror combination of late finish Friday, rostered Saturday work followed by early starts the following Monday.

Thusly, doeth this cutteth most heavily into our Hero's drinki ... err, I be meanin' ... MODELLING time.

Plus, and as well as, there be barrels and buckets to be made, cutlasses to be forged, coconuts to be crafted, bags of stale bread to be baked ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

And thanks everyone for the Likes and comments ...

Boy did I ever miss a build and a half here, what a great job your doing Steve.

I love every thing about this little boat.

With your permission Steve I pull up a tool box.

Be Good

mobbsie

Mobbsie !! Welcome aboard.

(Nice Bomb Vessel !!)

Wahoo, that is some of the finest weathering and "aged" wood I've had the pleasure to see. :cheers:

This one is bookmarked for additional study.

Slainte!

Ken

Ken, I be lookin' forward to seeing ye start a build-log.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arrr ...

I didst doeth a little test this eventide using the chamois cloth ...

post-675-0-50382300-1414765394_thumb.jpg

Firstly, I didst cutteth some thin strips of cloth ... 

post-675-0-96771100-1414765399_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-89476400-1414765405_thumb.jpg

Thence, didst I taketh a spare piece o' dowel, smear a bit of white glue upon it, and thence wrap me "lashing" around it ..

post-675-0-63721800-1414765412_thumb.jpg

Finally, having only just recently learned of "dry-brushing", CaptainSteve didst next very lightly brush the test piece with dark brown wood stain.

Here be the test next to one o' me oars.

post-675-0-38487700-1414765418_thumb.jpg

Next up, I be thinkin' o' tryin' exactly the same thing again, but using the Black Japan stain. I be hopin' that the darker stain will make the edges stand out a little better.

But that will have to wait for now ...

EDIT: Please see THIS ENTRY, where fellow Bounty Launch builder, Cathead, reveals important information. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

CaptainSteve didst indeed do a dry-brush test with the Black Japan stain afore heading off to work this morning.

"'Twas quite successful, methinks," he didst reporteth. "So here be a las' couple o' pics of me oars."

Firstly, Our Hero didst attacheth his lashings.

Thence, in order not to get black marks upon his oars from the dry-brushing, he didst tapeth them off at each end of the leathers.

("It be the same dealy I didst use to paint me Docker stripes," CaptainSteve didst add.)

post-675-0-13442000-1414853107_thumb.jpg

"Here they be, aftwards whence I didst removeth the tape. Methinks they be dirtied up just nicely."

post-675-0-40376400-1414853114_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That looks great!

Thanks, everyone fer lookin' in. This past week, CaptainSteve hath been busy studying the ancient art of sword-making. No pics as yet, but Our Hero didst stumble upon this.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ahhhh, once I dreamed to have it in home. Now, with present state of mind, I ll be afraid

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Ahhhh, once I dreamed to have it in home. Now, with present state of mind, I ll be afraid

Indeed, Nenad !! I would just LOVE to have an authentic 16th Century katana/tanto set in my modelling room !!

But, alas, I am just a mere wage-slave and can only dream of such things ...

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

This past week, Our Hero hath continued to work on the various detail items to be included.

And here, he hath madeth a list:

post-675-0-47206700-1415999739_thumb.jpg

Indeed, just this very day he didst PhotoShop a tick unto the top o' the list upon his return from the faraway land of Nippon where he didst journey to learn the ancient secrets of sword forging.

“I shalt not repeateth myself here,” CaptainSteve was heard to mutter. “For I hath detailed in the Kit-Basher’s forum me method fer making these."

So, please, clicketh here to check it out.

Now, as we know, Mr Bligh was not the most personable of people. Indeed, ‘tis known that even amongst the loyalists in the Launch with him, only a handful of men could be relied upon. Thusly, Our Hero hast reasoned that Bligh would’ve been certain to keep all the weapons onboard within easy reach.

“Hence I shalt most probably be placing the four cutlasses (and two native spears) that hath been documented up Bligh’s end of the Launch,” CaptainSteve didst explain.

Re-visiting the tool-chest, for now, three of the cutlasses have been lazily placed inside.

“Thee final one couldst well be chopped into the edge of one of the rear benches,” our Hero didst suggest. “Mayhaps next to where ol’ Bligh hisself be sitting.”
post-675-0-92052100-1415999746_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-50222900-1415999754_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I love the swords! I used to make mini swords sometimes when I used to work at the jewelry store.

Thanks, Jesse ... and everyone for the "likes".

I found myself side-tracked over the past week, as I must have viewed almost every single picture of a sword that could be found with Google. But, hey, it all proved to be very interesting reading.

Also, because I have recently become addicted to dry-brushing, the Grips have since been lightly stained ... in a similar fashion to what I did wi' me oar lashings.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Incidentally, those with looooong memories may recall that once upon a time, Our Hero had mentioned he wouldst be adding tree-nails to the outer hull of his Launch. Well, that probably ain't gunna be happening.

"Much as I didst liketh greatly Keith's external trennelling," CaptainSteve began, "'T'is most doubtful that I shalt be replicating these."

He didst go on: "For I didst tryeth out the syringes I hadst purchased from the Apothecary. Indeed, I didst test them out on some left-over frame wood from the kit's planking. And 'tis wi' great regret that I must reporteth verily great bleeding of the stain across the wood !!"

post-675-0-14004500-1416144759_thumb.jpg

"Indeedeth, I didst toy with some other ideas," Our Hero tried to explain. "In particular, one contributor to the Kit-Basher's forum had suggested using the bristles from a toy broom.

"But, time be against me and, insteadeth, I shalt be re-visiting the concept o' the scratched-up water-line," he didst addeth.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well, CaptainSteve be back at work tomorrow ...

But 'aforehand, he didst manage to ticketh one further item off o' his check-list:

post-675-0-79037600-1416934297_thumb.jpg

"'Tho' others have expressed much dissatisfaction wi' the kit-supplied barrels," he didst begin, "I have chosen to use them nonetheless."

(O'course, this probably doth hast more to do with the fact that CaptainSteve doth possesseth not the skill-set - nor the lathe - to maketh his own.)

To further the whole water-logged look that he be going with, Our Hero didst firstly soak the kit barrels in bleach for a couple of days ...

post-675-0-82933900-1416145667_thumb.jpg

... and thence, didst he re-apply stain and re-paint the barrel hoops ...

post-675-0-44976700-1416145764_thumb.jpg

"'Afore moving on, I didst lightly sand back the colouration on the lower half o' the small barrels to show that they hadst spent the journey virtually floating around the bottom of the Launch."

Next up, CaptainSteve didst taketh a good, hard, long look at himself ... and his barrels ... and he didst cometh to the terrible realization that there be no way to getteth out the water/wine/rum stored within.

"Arrgggeth !!! There be no BUNGS !!" he didst exclaimeth.

And, so, CaptainSteve didst add firstly bung-holes ...

post-675-0-94642200-1416145776_thumb.jpg

... and, finally, the Bungs (which didst formerly existeth as the tips o' tooth-picks - now stained).

post-675-0-35934000-1416145783_thumb.jpg

"They be very hard to spotteth in this picture, but, rest assured, they be there !!"

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ahoy cap't did you find out what kind of spirits were in those cask, and did you by chance partake of them.  Brandy, Rum. or White Lightning?

David B