Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Aye, Cap'n. Ye've finally let the hands partake of these spirits. No matter they be Black Strap, dago red or goodly rum. We be missing a good wet! Let's hear it for the Cap'n, lads! :dancetl6:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ahoy cap't did you find out what kind of spirits were in those cask, and did you by chance partake of them.  Brandy, Rum. or White Lightning?

David B

Ahoy, Dg !!

It turns out (hic) that it was all of the above.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Arggeth !!!

'Twouldst seemeth that Our Hero hath been struck down !!

Or, at least, temporarily winged.

But, 'twas not, as One might suspect, a cowardly revenge attack from the Frames.

"Y'see, back in the real world, whilst unloading a vehicle at work the other day," CaptainSteve didst begineth to explain, "I didst doeth an injury unto me modellin' arm. It doth appear that a muscle hath been torn."

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:

He didst, as always, go on:

"Verily, it shall taketh some six to eight weeks to cometh goodly again !!"

Indeedeth, Our Hero cannot at the moment as much as picketh-up a razor-knife, much less cutteth anything.

:(  :(  :(

Erstwhile, CaptainSteve be reduced to typing left-handed. 

"It be a right PITA and doth taketh me much longer and, verily, much editting must occur !!" 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ouch! Hope you recover soon Steve.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

'Tis no fun, to doeth deeds wrong handed. Didst breaketh me wrist whilest in a blizzard. Och, the paine didst feel. Spendeth weeks to the number of seven wearing a fixing device.

Dost feel thy paine, Cap'n.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Maybe a little to much grog? :P

David B

...or not enough! ;)

Get well soon, mate.

- Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Now cap. can use something for ...

Look in barrels ... you'll find ....

Bee good as son as possoble

Nenad

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Steve,

Follow the sawbone's advice.  Those things hurt like hell and they need the time to heal.  I'm certain that at some point, he'll tell what you can and can't do as part of 'therapy'.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Arrr ...

Thanks Guys !!!

But ya can't get rid o' me that easily ... with feasible activities reduced to an absolute minimum, I find I'm logging onto MSW five times a day just to check on updates and everyone else's builds.

(I'd say more, but I just hate typing left-handed/one-fingered)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Gee whiz, Cap'n. That's only half my top speed. On a good day. Get better soon, but be safe.

Ken

Been catching up on your log CaptainSteve. The Launch's looking mighty fine sir. Been "winged" a few times myself, and it always seems to take longer to heal the older I get. Such is life. Just make sure you keep plenty of grog around, for "lubrication" purposes of course. :) Hope you don't mind my pulling up a barrel and observing. Do what the medic says and you'll be back up and running in no time.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Arrr ...

Thanks, Guys (and Gals)

Steve,

Follow the sawbone's advice.  Those things hurt like hell and they need the time to heal.  I'm certain that at some point, he'll tell what you can and can't do as part of 'therapy'.  

I am doing so, Mark ... mostly.

Although, I does get a bit tired o' sittin' on me *** with me arm on a pillow ("Keep your arm raised !!") and just watching DVDs. 

Gee whiz, Cap'n. That's only half my top speed. On a good day. Get better soon, but be safe.

Arrr ...

Been catching up on your log CaptainSteve. The Launch's looking mighty fine sir. Been "winged" a few times myself, and it always seems to take longer to heal the older I get. Such is life. Just make sure you keep plenty of grog around, for "lubrication" purposes of course. :) Hope you don't mind my pulling up a barrel and observing. Do what the medic says and you'll be back up and running in no time.

Cheers  

Welcome aboard, George !!

But, please, don't be sitting on the barrels ... I plan to be using those.

Meantime, I has been a-wondering about buckets ... specifically bailing buckets ...

Me MS plans do not show these at all ...

So, in particular, I am wondering:

- What is the base diameter of a full-scale bailing bucket ??

- How tall would they be ??

- How many should I make (currently assuming 5 to 7) ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arr de darr Cap'n! Just got done reading your log from the start and have really enjoyed it. Are you able to still eat pizza left handed?

I am looking into the proper scale of bailing buckets too and will be interested to see what you discover. Hope you mend quickly!

Best wishes

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Arr de darr Cap'n! Just got done reading your log from the start and have really enjoyed it. Are you able to still eat pizza left handed?

I am looking into the proper scale of bailing buckets too and will be interested to see what you discover. Hope you mend quickly!

Best wishes

Thank ye muchly fer droppin' by, Buck.

As to pizza, well, we has a rule around this build-log .... 'Tis best not to mention that stuff !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

With Our Hero's range of movement reduced to a bare minimum this past week, he was forced to cancel any plans that involved cutting anything thicker than a sheet of paper.

Instead, he didst turneth his attentions to other matters:

"As I be wantin' to add a few smaller bits to me Launch for detail items," CaptainSteve didst begin, "this week I didst turneth me attentions to planting a small garden."

(Less kind souls may suggest that this couldst be to hide a multitude of mistakes ...)

"Ahem !!", growled CaptainSteve.

"As the growin's from this plantation doth only need to be 1/16 scale, fortunately, they be not takin' long to reach full maturity."

In fact, our Hero didst actually take small pieces of Sculpey (a bakeable modelling clay), and mold them to shape:

post-675-0-46116600-1417260169_thumb.jpg

"To simulate dimpling on the surface, I didst scratcheth me head and tryeth a number o' methods afore I didst settle upon the idea to tightly pack a toothpick holder, thence roll the unbaked clay around the top."
post-675-0-63839900-1417260186_thumb.jpg

First batch ready for the wood-stove:

post-675-0-16506500-1417260194_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-85360100-1417260203_thumb.jpg

Here, there be four different types of coconuts. Firstly, unhusked (green), husked, husked & halved and, lastly, one halved shell scooped out to become Bligh's personal Cup (as detailed in his Log).

post-675-0-76335400-1417260209_thumb.jpg

"I be wanting still t' findeth some way to maketh the husked coconuts furry - just like the real thing," Our Hero explained.

O'course, one such as CaptainSteve couldst not stoppeth with just some coconuts ...

post-675-0-17457900-1417260222_thumb.jpg

"Here be mangoes ..."

post-675-0-14128700-1417260899_thumb.jpg

"And, because Bligh's log doth suggest they didst taketh some from the Bounty, here be bread-fruits !!!"

Currently, Our Hero is working on a selection of baked goodies ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Mango's, coconuts, and breadfruit------sweet!  :D  Glad to see you're keeping busy there during your state of being not quite up to par Captain.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Since posting the above pictures, the mangoes and cut bread-fruits have been re-touched/dry-brushed with a bright yellow.
"Me mangoes was just too shiny," CaptainSteve didst begin, "and them bread-fruits .. well, they was just altogether too white."

Here be an updated pic:

post-675-0-84974100-1417273168_thumb.jpg

DANG !! Them bread-fruits ain't THAT yellow in real life !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arrr ...

Thanks, Guys (and Gals)

I am doing so, Mark ... mostly.

Although, I does get a bit tired o' sittin' on me *** with me arm on a pillow ("Keep your arm raised !!") and just watching DVDs. 

Arrr ...

Welcome aboard, George !!

But, please, don't be sitting on the barrels ... I plan to be using those.

Meantime, I has been a-wondering about buckets ... specifically bailing buckets ...

Me MS plans do not show these at all ...

So, in particular, I am wondering:

- What is the base diameter of a full-scale bailing bucket ??

- How tall would they be ??

- How many should I make (currently assuming 5 to 7) ??

While you have been recouping and becoming a vegetarian, I have been rummaging through the ship locker and have found some measurements for a bailing piggin. The kit was also 1/16 (3/4" = 1'), so no scale conversions will be needed. The measurements worked cleaner in mm than fractional inches.

Base diameter: 12mm

Height to rim: 11mm

Rim diameter: 14mm

Height to top of handle: 22mm

The handle is an extended stave that is sculpted a bit for grip. If you Google "piggin", you will get a lot of helpful images. Don't know how many they would have had, but since they were riding so low, hopefully they had a few. I suppose they could have also bailed with coconut shells too.

Nice job on the fruit!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks for the info, Buck.

I hadn't considered using piggins at all ... but, now, I just might have to do so.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Cap't looks like you are going into the miniatures line.  The only problem is they make me hungry just looking at them.  Coconuts and mangoes,  sounds like you re about to make a good batch of punch now a little Morgan to go with the fruit.

David B

Yellow in real life problem ? ... I do not see problem , just let them stay somewhere next 200-250,years, and you ll find problem resolved

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Arrrr, is the Cap'n planning to maketh a model of the seagull whom Bligh and his crewmates ateth raw, with Bligh gettingeth the head and the beak?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Err ...

Perhaps not, Keith. Sounds altogether too gruesome for my liking.

I was planning on just doing a version of your Mr Bligh ... mayhaps, I could drizzle a bit of fake-blood down the front of his shirt ??

Or, mayhaps I could just chuck some left-over KFC bones around the bottom o' me Launch.

:pirate41:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Jus' briefly - still winged - Our Hero didst spendeth some time this past week pondering one of the Great Mysteries of the Universe:

Specifically, the problem of smooth and shiny nuts !!

Indeedeth, the problem didst resolveth itself whence CaptainSteve came upon a Barber shop which, verily, happened to have an over-supply of follicles.

"Forsooth, but mayest I partake of ye wares, fine Merchant ??" didst CaptainSteve enquireth, whilst pointing gleefully at the clippings upon the floor.

"Huh ?? WTF doest thou be about ??" asked the Barber, somewhat perplexed.

And so, CaptainSteve didst finely choppeth up a handful of hair clippings, coat his nuts with PVA glue, and thence proceed to roll them all about the place.

post-675-0-87032900-1417714488_thumb.jpg

Once the glue had dried, CaptainSteve didst polish his nuts vigourously.

"To removeth stray hairs!!", he didst try to explain.

post-675-0-40914500-1417714495_thumb.jpg

"Ah !! Now they doth happen to be a lovely bunch o' Coconuts !!"

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Incidentally, whilst he didst haveth out his modelling clay, CaptainSteve happened to baketh up some spear-heads.

"Here be a couple o' native spears, just as Ol' Bligh hisself doth detail in his log."

post-675-0-83700400-1417716629_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That was a good idea to use hair on the coconuts!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

ROFL !!!!

What an idea ! Genious !!!!

And good result.

But what to do rest of us who has not enough hair, and a little remains is white?

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: