HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

• 2 weeks later...

Two photo-plans showing the same structure/fitting (gaff boom) with those same blocks (K), fixed to two apparently different positions A and B. :( :( 

I really don’t know which one is before or after the visit to the local pub of the plan creator… :):)

Anyway I’m again in need of your help.

This is my main concern: rope-line indicated by “L” on the plan is a single or a double line having starboard and port side as its final attachments (Petterson, page 26, I think) ?

I’m not sure whether nr “19” point/pin is located only starboard, I'm confused…

Nevertheless what’s point indicated as “?” that is supposed to be the anchor point of the tackle for above named line “L”?

Thank you so much in advance for your support.

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

5 - Αντίγραφο.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

Edited by drtrap

Hi Stergious,rig your boom topping lift (L)  as shown in Peterssons book.  #19 is a cleat which I can see in your photo,there should be one on the other side of the mast also. The bottom end of the tackles on your plan appear to be hooked to eyebolts in the deck and NOT to the Mizzen channels as seen in Petersson. I expect where they are will be shown on your plan. Where your question mark is would be a good bet I would say.

The blocks you marked  A and B are fitted on each side of the boom. They are the boom sheet blocks,correctly shown aft of the cleats. Where these tackles are hooked and belayed should be on your rigging plans. Unfortunately Petersson shows  a different arrangement.

Hope this helps,

Dave :dancetl6:

Edited by davyboy

On 3/1/2019 at 8:44 PM, davyboy said:

Hi Stergious,rig your boom topping lift (L)  as shown in Peterssons book.  #19 is a cleat which I can see in your photo,there should be one on the other side of the mast also. The bottom end of the tackles on your plan appear to be hooked to eyebolts in the deck and NOT to the Mizzen channels as seen in Petersson. I expect where they are will be shown on your plan. Where your question mark is would be a good bet I would say.

The blocks you marked  A and B are fitted on each side of the boom. They are the boom sheet blocks,correctly shown aft of the cleats. Where these tackles are hooked and belayed should be on your rigging plans. Unfortunately Petersson shows  a different arrangement.

Hope this helps,

Hi Dave and thank you.

No 19 it is supposed to be a pinrail and not a cleat. I dont know if a double line is needed for the boom lift (a line for each side pinrail No 19)...

There are no plan details for eyebolts on the deck around the mizen mast..., only around the fore and the main mast :(

I'm not sure whether Jason or Jim have finished gaff boom rigging to provide their relative experience.....

Thanks again.

3 - Αντίγραφο (3).JPG

Hi Stergious,

I now see that pin #19 is shown on your deck rigging plan. However you had marked #19 as being just below the boom which I had assumed was a cleat. This can be seen as one of three on the Mizzen mast. The boom topping lift was doubled (clove hitched) around the boom as Petersson shows. Each side leads through blocks as he shows fitted with a tackle and belayed. I would suggest you fit eyebolts on the deck below pins #19,hook the tackle there and belay the hauling end of the tackle to the pins. Up to you.

19 hours ago, davyboy said:

Hi Stergious,

I now see that pin #19 is shown on your deck rigging plan. However you had marked #19 as being just below the boom which I had assumed was a cleat. This can be seen as one of three on the Mizzen mast. The boom topping lift was doubled (clove hitched) around the boom as Petersson shows. Each side leads through blocks as he shows fitted with a tackle and belayed. I would suggest you fit eyebolts on the deck below pins #19,hook the tackle there and belay the hauling end of the tackle to the pins. Up to you.

Thank you again Dave.

I sent a relative question to Jim, I hope to help us.

He finished gaff boom and gaff driver rigging so many days before...

Stergios,

I am building Cruizer, and though two-masted, she has the same gaff rigging as Snake. I took the topping lift to a tackle hooked to an eyebolt on the channel and belayed to the bulwark pin rail. There should be suitable photo in my build log. Hope this helps. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

15 hours ago, jwvolz said:

Stergios,

I am building Cruizer, and though two-masted, she has the same gaff rigging as Snake. I took the topping lift to a tackle hooked to an eyebolt on the channel and belayed to the bulwark pin rail. There should be suitable photo in my build log. Hope this helps. 

Thank you so much Joe!

Keep in touch :)

On 2/19/2019 at 8:52 PM, davyboy said:

Hi Stergious,it's standing rigging. That line is one of the topmast backstays.

Hi Dave.

Thank you, again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Only just seen your message on my build log. I think jwvolz is about right. I didn’t add any eyebolts to the deck around the mizzen.

Ill take a closer look tomorrow evening when I’m home from work and confirm the rigging layout. 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2014 at 9:23 PM, normanh said:

I have to say I have always found Caldercraft/Jotika more that helpful on any quality issues and very responsive in replacing parts.

Norman

On 1/6/2014 at 9:23 PM, normanh said:

I contacted them to report my belaying spins were missing from my kit. They kindly replied telling me to BUY replacements from my retailer!!! Not impressed at all., Last Caldecraft kit I will buy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, jwvolz said:

Stergios,

Hi Joe. I'm back again.

I'm not seeing any pre-planned place for an eybolt on the channel plans for the above named use....

Did you customize on the Cruizer channel the placement of the tackle for the topping lift?

Thank you.  

Edited by drtrap

58 minutes ago, jwvolz said:

Stergios,

Yes, I did customize that (as well as other parts of the rigging) based on the Brig Irene book. 

Thanks Joe.

I'm trying to find a relative close up view from your build log but with no results for the moment.

Cheers. 

These should help Stergios.  It's hooked behind the third deadeye. That may change for you with three masts. Single block on the channel, double coming down from the topping lift. 

20190704_104700.jpg

20190704_104707.jpg

20190704_104712.jpg

20190704_104734.jpg

Edited by jwvolz

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

On 7/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, jwvolz said:

These should help Stergios.  It's hooked behind the third deadeye. That may change for you with three masts. Single block on the channel, double coming down from the topping lift. 

20190704_104700.jpg

20190704_104707.jpg

20190704_104712.jpg

20190704_104734.jpg

Wow, I do appreciate so much your assistance and help Joe!

All the best.

Stergios :)

Edited by drtrap

There is no “gaff boom” those are two different spars. No idea why your plan is describing the Boom as the “gaff boom”. The Boom is the lower spar on your sail and the Gaff is the upper spar. The Gaff will not have a topping Lift, only the boom has that feature. The topping lift’s only function is to keep the Boom up off the deck and at the proper height, the Gaff needs no such lines. The reason there are two Topping Lifts is because you slack off the leeward Tooping Lift when you’re sailing so the sail won’t press against it and cause wear. This is why the TOpping LIft can be adjusted on a pin or cleat. This is also why the Topping Lifts often have baggywrinkle on them. 

when sailing with the wind abaft the beam, the boom will be sheeted out, meaning the sailors want it over to port or Starboard so the sail can fill with wind. Often they Sheet it out as far as it can go and the extent to witch it can be swung outboard is limited by the location of the aftermost standing rigging, in this case the Running Backstay.  If that Backstay was fixed in place, they can’t Sheet the boom out any farther and that limits the amount of power they can get out of that sail. This is why the Running Backstay can be adjusted. If the crew slack off the lee Running Backstay completely (or even move it-that’s why it often has a hook on it) they can free up more space to Sheet out the boom a few more feet, and gain more sail power by presenting a better angle to the wind.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

31 minutes ago, JerseyCity Frankie said:

There is no “gaff boom” those are two different spars. No idea why your plan is describing the Boom as the “gaff boom”. The Boom is the lower spar on your sail and the Gaff is the upper spar. The Gaff will not have a topping Lift, only the boom has that feature. The topping lift’s only function is to keep the Boom up off the deck and at the proper height, the Gaff needs no such lines. The reason there are two Topping Lifts is because you slack off the leeward Tooping Lift when you’re sailing so the sail won’t press against it and cause wear. This is why the TOpping LIft can be adjusted on a pin or cleat. This is also why the Topping Lifts often have baggywrinkle on them. 

when sailing with the wind abaft the beam, the boom will be sheeted out, meaning the sailors want it over to port or Starboard so the sail can fill with wind. Often they Sheet it out as far as it can go and the extent to witch it can be swung outboard is limited by the location of the aftermost standing rigging, in this case the Running Backstay.  If that Backstay was fixed in place, they can’t Sheet the boom out any farther and that limits the amount of power they can get out of that sail. This is why the Running Backstay can be adjusted. If the crew slack off the lee Running Backstay completely (or even move it-that’s why it often has a hook on it) they can free up more space to Sheet out the boom a few more feet, and gain more sail power by presenting a better angle to the wind.

Thank you for your comment.

I'm using the terminology based in the manual of Caldercraft's Snake.

That uses (and shows) the terms gaff boom and driver gaff as the upper and lower part respectively.

Edited by drtrap

Well the sail is called “the driver” so the “driver gaff” is the Gaff. I think you’d only need to call it “driver gaff” if there were another gaff in the rig somewhere. Likely it’s the ONLY gaff though. Using the same logic Caldercraft could have called the Boom the “driver boom”.  

The use of “Gaff boom” is unfortunate though since it’s confusing. But maybe Caldercraft is a non-English speaking company and there was another (there are so many in this great hobby of ours!) translation error?  

Niagara USS Constitution 

24 minutes ago, JerseyCity Frankie said:

Well the sail is called “the driver” so the “driver gaff” is the Gaff. I think you’d only need to call it “driver gaff” if there were another gaff in the rig somewhere. Likely it’s the ONLY gaff though. Using the same logic Caldercraft could have called the Boom the “driver boom”.  

The use of “Gaff boom” is unfortunate though since it’s confusing. But maybe Caldercraft is a non-English speaking company and there was another (there are so many in this great hobby of ours!) translation error?  

Thank you again. To my knowledge, Caldercraft is a traditional british company. I dont know why they use such terms, but I am not familiar with specific naval terminology...

Have you any idea or reccomendation about the right place to fix those tackles for the topping lifts? On the deck right below the respective belaying pin or on the channel?

Regards.

Stergios

3 hours ago, drtrap said:

Have you any idea or reccomendation about the right place to fix those tackles for the topping lifts? On the deck right below the respective belaying pin or on the channel?

Lees has the lower blocks hooked in the channels but the hauling part belayed on a cleat on the mast. Up until 1805. After that the tackle remained the same but the hauling part belayed on pins near the shrouds. And I have no reason to doubt Lees.

Niagara USS Constitution 

58 minutes ago, JerseyCity Frankie said:

Lees has the lower blocks hooked in the channels but the hauling part belayed on a cleat on the mast. Up until 1805. After that the tackle remained the same but the hauling part belayed on pins near the shrouds. And I have no reason to doubt Lees.

Copy that.

I'll go that way, as Joe mentioned some posts above the same.

Thank you again.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Stergios, thanks for the photos of your progress!  Rigging is looking very neat and tidy.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Greetings form Greece.

Another question arises for my next turns. Cant find the answer using the plans or my relative naval manuals...

What's that rope-line [marked with red by me] at which line F is attached via those metal structures (rigging trucks ?). It is line B (0,50mm), line C (0,25mm I think..)?IMG_2196.JPG.749f7209119f16146fef13c01156cf17.JPG

The above combination belongs to mizzen mast and main mast rigging also..

Thank you in advance.IMG_2196.JPG.749f7209119f16146fef13c01156cf17.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

On 7/24/2019 at 1:51 PM, drtrap said:

Greetings form Greece.

Another question arises for my next turns. Cant find the answer using the plans or my relative naval manuals...

What's that rope-line [marked with red by me] at which line F is attached via those metal structures (rigging trucks ?). It is line B (0,50mm), line C (0,25mm I think..)?IMG_2196.JPG.749f7209119f16146fef13c01156cf17.JPG

The above combination belongs to mizzen mast and main mast rigging also..

Thank you in advance.imageproxy.php?img=&key=8f45093723bba175IMG_2196.JPG.749f7209119f16146fef13c01156cf17.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

Ok, now i’m seeing that those are the lower and topsail yard tyes, as parts of the yards running rigging..