HM Bomb Vessel Granado by jwvolz - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Just a thought Joe, I wished I'd blanked off the view across the hull through the rear cabin lights. It's only visible on mine when directly side on but you wouldn't be able to see clear through the ship at that point due to bulkheads, cabin partitions etc.

Thanks Timmo. I figured better safe than sorry on that. I'll further evaluate what can be seen when that quarterdeck bulkhead goes in. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

No update, but my lovely wife gave me this for my birthday today.  :D

post-11003-0-39393000-1400886432_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Nice present (and even nicer wife), and happy birthday!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the birthday wishes Mike.

Finished the first layer of planking and got it all filled and sanded. Pretty happy with the way it came out. 

I also spent some time trying to clean up the walnut for the next layer of planking. It's very rough along the edges and wants to splinter easily. I really wish Hobbymill weren't so far out on delivery, or I'd replace it. 

post-11003-0-40870500-1400975585_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-08167600-1400975592_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-75263000-1400975597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe shes looking very nice.   Thanks for the heads up on HobbyMill - I'm trying to pull the trigger on my next build and would look to replace wood in that, this maybe gives me the nudge I need to do it so I can plan well ahead.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I would suggest HobbyMill is well worth the wait. Maybe you work on cannons or deck furniture while you wait for you planking. I now wish I had on my Harvey the difference is amazing.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

The more I think about it the more I agree Floyd. 

It's "only" two months or so, and my building does slow down this time of year anyway with outdoor activities. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe, I would echo what others have said about Jeff's wood being well worth the wait.  I haven't worked with it yet, but the quality seems to be night and day relative to the Caldercraft kit wood.  If the walnut in your kit is anything like the walnut I had in my Badger kit, the frustration you'll find in working with it will likely make you kick yourself for not upgrading it.  I found that it wasn't just the wood strips that were very prone to splintering - the pre-cut pieces are made up of walnut ply, and a lot of them not only chipped on me, but I even had some pretty much disintegrate on me after I cut them out.  

The good thing is that Caldercraft usually adds extras for the pre-cut pieces and wood strips, but even then I was forced to settle on things that were not very good.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I pulled the trigger and sent an e-mail to Jeff at Hobbymill ordering some wood.

I'm going to plank below the wale in walnut and above it in boxwood for some contrast. I also ordered some boxwood sheet to replace some of the kit CNC-cut items that are made of walnut ply. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Minor update. I'm going to move on to some detail work, and then plank the deck as i wait for my Hobbymill order in about 7 weeks.

The false deck has been glued in place and the mortar surrounds completed and installed.

post-11003-0-68346400-1401635497_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

A pleasure to watch your buildlog Joe,

nice and clean build to date, I`m looking out towards your next Progress...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very nice work Joe - you'll have this built by the end of the year at this pace :)

Mike

Thanks guys.

No way Mike!  I'm definitely going to be slowing down over the summer...

I did get the mortar beds assembled and the eye bolts installed. I also removed the mortars themselves from the thick brass pour stub, cleaned them up and added a few handles per the AOTS book. They are not attached yet.

post-11003-0-58530900-1401758811_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

I made some progress over the last week and got the main deck laid. I used the very nice maple strips supplied by Caldercraft and am very happy with the way they look. 

After getting all of the planks laid and scraped smooth I drilled the holes for the treenails per the AOTS book. I'm still debating how to represent the treenails, but am leaning toward using regular old birch toothpicks sharpened to a point and glued in the holes.  I'm still doing a little mock-up testing but I like the very subtle contrast they provide with the maple. 

Still thinking about it... 

post-11003-0-68534300-1402356747_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-06528200-1402356757_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-91414800-1402356766_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Really nice work all round Joe. Your experience shines through. I'm going to keep following - Granado is a great subject.

I'm a big fan of wood paste for the treenails - effective, fast and easy. By making the paste almost the same colour as the deck they become invisible at most angles. This is the way it should be at this scale in my opinion.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Joe, the deck turned out very nice.  The maple in the kit is beautiful - I would have preferred that over the tanganyika in my Badger kit.

Mike

Joe - Alistair beat me to it. I was going to suggest you try the drill and fill method. You have such a wide choice of colors to try and it is much simpler than the toothpicks.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Thanks all for the likes and the nice comments.

Having never done treenails using the wood paste method does anyone have any specific product recommendations?

Is this product an option: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-3-75-oz-Golden-Oak-Wood-Putty-13611/100376127?N=5yc1vZc5d1Z1z0sv1t  

I know some on MSW have used a material and melted and then applied.

I'm also wondering as to steps in the process. Varnish before the filler to prevent staining of the deck?

Joe Volz

Current build:

The product I use is probably not available in the US - it is Wattyl interior timber putty and is water based. The product you show is non-hardening and can't be sanded. The Wattyl putty fully hardens and can be sanded. I don't pre-seal the planks first and have no issues with bleeding. My deck is holly strip.

The best way is to trial whatever you find on a few planks off the ship.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Joe - I am not quite to the point of doing on a full model. But I will tell you what I have done.

Step 1. I took extra deck planking and created a sample section of deck on a scrap piece of wood. Complete with caulking etc.

Step 2. I used a #78 drill and drilled the holes.

Step 3. I took a small amount of paste, of a similar product to the one you mention, that I got at the local hardware. And rubbed into the holes.

Step 4. I made sure there was no residue

Step 5. I covered with a coat of wipe on poly.

post-1088-0-35098500-1402465998_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-06774900-1402466039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

I installed the port-side inner bulwark piece, and it was  not without issue. There was no way I was going to get all of the ports lined up with the outer gunport strip if I followed the deck line. So...I allowed the inner piece to lay across the deck evenly, and the ports appear to all be about the same height doing it that way. It did match up well for the first, second and last two, so I made sure it followed the sheer properly. 

I also had to rip out the outermost row of deck planking on both sides to get everything situated evenly, but that is no problem  to replace. 

Therefore I had to trim three of the outer ports to shape to match the inner piece and fill the bottom edge with some spare planking. I also had to run a narrow piece across the top to match them up properly. You can see all of this clearly in the third photo in this post. Dry fitting of the starboard side showed a very consistent similar situation, which is actually good, since the same correction there should make things even when complete.

I also cut the inner piece in two to make installation easier. No big deal to fill and sand, and this will all be painted so it should look just fine. 

I really do have mixed feelings on the pre-cut strips. They certainly save time framing out ports, but since they are stiff and don't like to bend in multiple planes, they certainly are prone to introducing errors like this, even though I did my utmost to make sure they hit the bulkhead extensions properly when I installed them. 

post-11003-0-48703800-1402793601_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-64654500-1402793611_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-96305900-1402793618_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-12314900-1402793628_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Finished the starboard side inner bulwarks and my thinking as to which way to trim where things didn't match up looks good now. All of the ports on both sides are within .5mm of being the same consistent height above the deck. I still need to do some minor shaping and filing where I filled and shimmed the outer gunport pattern. Lining the ports, and the second outer planking will clean that all up. 

I also replaced the couple of deck planks I had to pull up to accommodate the inner gunport pattern installation. 

That'll be it for the week as I'm traveling for work until Friday. I'll likely get to the treenails and then the spirketing this weekend. 

post-11003-0-90560200-1402971000_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-49647300-1402971044_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe - it looks like you did the treenailing of your deck. What did you decide to use?

Floyd, the holes are drilled but not yet filled. I found a putty similar to yours that I'm going to use. Testing off the model showed it to end up in the wood grain just a bit when scraped level, so I think I'm going to seal the deck first before applying the putty. 

Joe Volz

Current build: