Where is a good place to buy from? - moved by moderator

wdretired

I'm looking to buy a wooden  model ship.  I have several models in mind but I'm not sure where I can buy with confidence and good customer service.  Any suggestions?  I tried to buy a model off E-Bay and I thought I was buying from California but it ended up flagging my bank from China.  When I contacted them they then said they were from Canada??  I'd like to buy from someone that can be trusted.

Any Help would be appreciated.

wdretired

Wayne  

Present build - U.S.S. Constitution 

Website - mwdretired.com

It might help knowing what ships you're thinking of.  I've bought directly from Caldercraft and Model Expo before with no problems whatsoever.  I also have ordered parts from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK, and have had a very good experience with them as well.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I would second Mike's suggestion, Cornwall Model Boats. Their prices seem to be cheaper than elsewhere, and they provide a good service:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Stateside.... hmm....  a few that I've dealt with, but it will depend on what model  you're looking for as no one carries every maker.  You can Google the addy's of the ones I've listed:

Model Expo

Tower Hobbies

Blue Jacket

Ages of Sail

Billing Boats

I also have noticed that MicroMark is carrying kits.  I'll pop a link on this one since they have a mixed bag of kits: http://www.micromark.com/ship-and-boat-model-kits.html and the kits spot took some digging.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark, I have bought from all of them at one time or another and have no complaints. BUT, I have noticed quite a few models at Model Expo now say a 4 week or so waiting period. I never had that issue with them, but it's been probably close 10 ten years ago that I bought from them. I have purchased several ship model kits and materials from Ebay and have never had an issue, but you have to follow certain rules like verifying the sellers location, as well as checking out their feedback record. You also have to remember that a lot of these on line sellers drop ship now due to the cost of the kits, you pay them, they order the kit from a distributor, who ships it directly to you. It keeps their inventory down.

Good luck,

Mike

naturecoast.com  i'm in australia but get all my stuff from them. they are in florida (i think) and heaps cheaper than anywhere i can buy from in aus. have never had any problems with them and they have a huge range of kits and accessories. thoroughly recommended. 

CRAIGSLIST!  I find awesome deals on there all the time.  Picked up a Mantua Cutty Sark - $600 kit. for $150 shipped to my location.  Picked up a Prince De Neufchatel- brand new, retails for $400 - I paid $50.  People buy them, don't get to them, and let them go for various reasons.  Download it to your smart phone and you can search the country in one query. 

Hi.

Shoping @ Cornwallmodelboats is a pleasure.

Orderd late yesterday afternoon and it's arrived this morning. Yes it's just the next county. But that's service :)

Avoide the dreaded TAX inport duties if you can.

Shoping direct with Model Expo. Or ther EBay shop as suggested above by Geoff.

All the best.

Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Mates :D 

I would suggest clicking on this link

http://modelshipworld.com/

Scroll down and you will find a list of companies on the bottom right who take some of their profits and use them to sponsor a great site that could only exists as a result of this generosity. Something to consider on your next purchase 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Cornwall Model Boats, Model-Expo and Bluejacket. All three top drawer companies. No B.S. Ethical. Real WORKING web sites. Decent prices and mostly excellent after- sales support. I have not had direct experience with Ages Of Sail. They are a relatively new dealer/distributor/reseller- not a manufacturer. I prefer dealing with a manufacturer for many reasons- this said, Cornwall in the UK is the RARE exception who are not manufacturers (that I am aware of), and they do a superb job of doing more than just flogging stuff.

Follow the advice here my friend. There's a collective wisdom no where else to be found on this hobby!

Good Luck on your foray into the Ship World!

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I have dealt with Ages of Sail.  I would recommend them.  We had an issue and they resolved it very satisfactorily.  Above and beyond the call of duty, IMO.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Try Hobbylinc.  They only carry a few manufacturers, but their prices are hard to beat.  They also have good deals on supplies and tools.

Hobbylinc

Scott     :pirate41:

Present Build

AL's "King of the Mississippi" 

Future Build

AL's "San Francisco II"

AL's "Sanson"

Previous Builds 

Constructo's "Louise" (Victorian Steam Launch)

Constructo's "Pilar" (Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Boat)

Midwest's "Maine Peapod"