HMS Victory by Heinz746 - Caldercraft

Heinz,  Thanks for the link.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your log. Your approach with natural wood is beautiful and much more difficult than painting the model. While my goal was to simulate a miniature of the real ship, painting allows one to cover blemishes.  I lack your woodworking skills, and look forward to following your beautiful work.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Hello Nigel, 

Shame about me. I did not know Dimitry Shevelev so far. I found some pictures of his work at shipsofscale and have to say that I am more than just impressed about it. Also I took a fast view to your build of the Sovereign of the seas. I don´t think that I can compare myself with you and Mr. Shevelev. 

These work is amazing! It´s an incentive to me and shows me what is possible to do. 

Thank you very much!

- Heinz -

I don't think I belong in the same category as Mr Shevelev,but thank you anyway Heinz :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hello Heinz, just came through your build log,  ι had never thought until now to build the victory. Now I think about it seriously. Your work is outstanding , clean and precise.  I think that the choice not to use colors or copper is excellent.My build is all painted  as the real Vespucci is . Now for one more time I say that you have great skills doing such a beautiful work. I like the choice of different wood also....I will definitely follow along!! :)  :dancetl6:

All the best

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

another update from me.

This is the first time I am not totally happy and satisfied with the result. As I told you before I found out, that all the ornaments does not fit. So I had to build them on my own. I knew that this would be a big problem, cause I am not a sculptor.

I ordered some new and bigger strips of wood. Unfortunately they were notably brighter than all of my older strips. But the main problem was, that I had to find out that elderberry wood is not good for carving. Every time I tried to build smaller bows it breaks. You can see on the lower ornaments that I have to glue this parts. It doesn't look very clean. 

I tried it several time, but the result was always the same. I came to the point to accept it and tried to build the upper ornaments in a different way. I made 2 big "S". They were too big to brake. Unfortunately they were too big to look good and to decorate them with leaves as you can see it on the real Victory. I tried to file a slit along the "S" to make them look smaller. Hmmm, it looks better but not good. I hoped that the look will change with the upper bows and the top ornament. And yes, I think I keep it as it is. It does not look like an exact copy of the real Victory. Otherwise it´s not so bad at all... What do you think? Please give me your honest opinions!

At least one thing: the top ornament is the one from the kit. I filed a little bit and painted it. I love it :-)))

Have a nice weekend!

- Heinz -

post-2856-0-59834400-1446983534_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-37314000-1446983546_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-64424000-1446983555_thumb.jpg

Hello again Heinz, in my humble opinion (due to lack of experience) i think they look perfect... I see also that they are cut perfectly and they are very neat and clean.

Cheers

Dimitris

Great work . Have you considered a jig or frame to make up your windows ,I,m assuming they are all a similiar size ?

Thank you :-)

no, I have no jig and no frame; every window has different size. And the windows are placed in a bow, that means that the grids have to follow that bow. Every window is different.

I took my 05x4 mm elderberry strips and cut them in 2 longer and 6 smaller parts with 1mm width. It´s a fiddling work...

Hi Heinz

I think you are possibly reaching the limits of the timber.Other than trying to glue the pieces to a backer whilst carving,boxwood wood have probably been the only answer.This wouldn't have matched the other timber.

The scrolls look good and as you say only the purist will know the difference ;)

Your first window is great,not an easy job especially in 1/72!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Heinz,

In my humble, inexperienced opinion the carvings look just great. I don't think you should regret leaving them as they are if you decide to go that way.

If you don't mind me switching gears for a moment, can I ask if you carved in a rabbet or groove into your keel and stern post for your second planking? I'm just about to start my keel batten. I see merit going with a flush planking to the keel (as I did at the stem but through lack of planning) because I might get better sanding access but might get a better fit if I install a rabbet. Just curious what you decided. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Ian

If you don't mind me switching gears for a moment, can I ask if you carved in a rabbet or groove into your keel and stern post for your second planking? I'm just about to start my keel batten. I see merit going with a flush planking to the keel (as I did at the stem but through lack of planning) because I might get better sanding access but might get a better fit if I install a rabbet. Just curious what you decided. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Ian

Hi Ian, 

no problem. Feel free to ask me. I am proud that someone wants my advice here :-)

Concerning the keel, please take a look at post no. 39 on my topic. There you can see 2 pictures showing you that I started planking from both sides. First I started at the keel going up for 5 or 6 planking lines. And then I started from the waterline going down till I reached the lines below. I did not groove into the keel or do something like that. 

I have to say that I did not follow the instructions of the kit. And the only reason for it, was the fact, that I did not read them carefully enough. The instruction tells you to first (double-)plank your ship and put the keel on it at last. I put the keel on it before I start my first (!) planking (look at post no. 4). I had to work very carefully to not damage or dirty the keel. 

On the other hand it helps me with my second planking, cause I had a kind of border to push my planks on it. It works like a stop for the planks and hold them on position. Maybe the same effect like a groove. 

The same happened on the area below the stern (I mean the area with the 2 gun ports). I planked this area, although the instructions from the kit don´t tell me to do this. As a result I have my border for the up-coming planks (last picture on post no. 36). 

Ian, I hope I could answer your questions well.  :-)))

- Heinz -

Thanks for that answer Heinz. Then I will temporarily lay my keel to have something to butt up against and get a flush fit. I guess I will be then able to remove the keel to get a uniform sanding. Anyway thanks for the advice. I have 11 plank layers left on the starboard side and hence am just going to start from the keel to meet the rest of the planks.

I think all of your solutions worked very well in spite of being out of sync with the instructions. I only wish I had your skills!

Best, Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends!

I finished the windows. Oh God, these little parts... But now it´s done :-)

As I told you before, I was not really happy with the ornaments. The color of the new wood is a brighter than all the other strips of my elderberry wood. And it always breaks when I tried to build little details. NMBROOK gave me some advices how to  resolve this problem. (Thanks again, Nigel :-) ). But I had another idea to try it with my old and small elderberry strips.

First I glue some strips parallel to get a smooth surface, for example 3 x 4 cm. In the second step I glue a second ply on the back in a 90 degree angel. The wood fibers run transversely to each other. This gives the piece of wood much more hardness to work out small details.

Look at the last 2 pictures. I have made the new ornaments on the right side in this way. There are no color differences and no broken and repaired places anymore. The ornaments look much more like the original ones. Don´t you think so?

I hope I can manage the left side in the same way...

Have a nice weekend 

and greetings to all of you

- Heinz -

post-2856-0-02155400-1448808881_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-14755800-1448808900_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-89316000-1448808903_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-27825200-1448808911_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-05950000-1448808915_thumb.jpg

Hello Heinz, fantastic work on the new ornaments on the stern... :) I love it!!

Kind Regards

Dimitris

beautiful work Heinz

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Truly wonderful work Heinz :wub: Your Elderberry plywood is a nice bit of thinking 'out of the box'.The results speak volumes.Those windows blew my mind :o .They look spectacular,not easy to do in any scale,let alone 1/72!!!!!!!!!!!.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello modellers !

shortly before Christmas , I would like to post a little update .

As you can see on the picture I finished the stern. I really like the result with the new ornaments.Have you noticed that the right man has become a little thinner ? I had to rework him a little. I wish it would be so easy for us to lose a few pounds :-))) . 

The next step I took was the rudder. Unfortunately I could not find any good drawings in my plans and books. So I looked here in some postings. I found some very interesting pictures. Without you, I would not be able to build a raft... not thinking about a Victory...

I used that piece from the kit. I wanted it to look as if it would be made ​​up of several pieces. That´s why I applied my technique with the slits. And I use the black wood filler to make them more visible. 

I hope you can see it on my pictures. They seem to be a little dark this time. 

I wish you all a merry christmas and good luck with your models!

All the best

- Heinz -

P.S.: Dec. 9.  was the 2 birthday of my Victory.  To celebrate this day a friend wanted to hit a bottle of champagne on its hull...he is no longer my friend...lol

To celebrate the day a friend wanted to hit a bottle of champagne on its hull .

To celebrate the day a friend wanted to hit a bottle of champagne on its hull .

That's why I applied my technique with the slits in the wood .
√v

post-2856-0-15348400-1450539816_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-53589800-1450539819_thumb.jpg

post-2856-0-16382100-1450539823_thumb.jpg

Great work as usual Heinz. I can't help being drawn to that beautiful planking and those perfectly cut wales. A merry Christmas to you and your family.

Best, Ian

Precise and clean work as always Heinz... :) :)

A Merry Christmas to you!!

All the best

Dimitris

Clean and beautiful work Heinz. I really like precision of your work  :) .

Keep on the good work and A merry Christmas to you and your family.

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100