Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

Wow!!  Thanks for the very warm homecoming!!!  :)  Feels great!!!!!!!!  Dang I miss you guys!!!  :)

Today (after taking the dog for a super great walk), I was able to actually re-attach a piece that did break off during the 1st move (one of the boarding steps on the starboard side). 

I just started pulling a few things out (like, where's my glue and tweezers??!) and I'm slowly getting set up again.  I believe my next task is to finish shaping the catheads, paint, then attach to the hull.  After that, I have to finish the rest of the upper rail fittings (aft channels, fashion pieces, hammock rails, etc.). 

Then it's on to the "still" intimidating bowsprit......  ;)

Hey Rich,

Glad to see you back. I've been involved with musical projects for months and put my Niagara aside. Now I'm wanting to get mine out again to.

Had a big concert this weekend or I would have gotten to the boat show. We went last year. It was amazing.

Joseph Osborne

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

It was super cool, especially for my 1st.  Saw a few RC boats- AMYA, MD Model Yacht guys there- was pretty neat.  Of course, I was too chicken/intimidated to actually go on any of the boats for sale- just talked to a few schools so I can take lessons this summer.  I'll definitely go the GIANT one in Oct tho!

Sounds like you've been busy too- glad you had a few gigs!  One thing I realized is how much a little time spent on our hobbies can be worth, in terms of giving us a peace of mind and knowing that life's not all about the "daily grind."  ;)

Mini-update:

I think my build is going to be very slow-going since my other bench/cabinets are in storage (back in TX), and therefore I'm very limited with the amount of workspace (basically the old computer desk).  Things are very cramped, and I have to keep shuffling plans, parts, the ship, etc. around to work on something...  Most of my tools and parts are still in my plastic tubs from the move!  lol~

Still, I'm going to make some copies of the plans for the bowsprit so I can slowly work on that.  My mind is bouncing between the bowsprit and the hammock rails (what/how to do them)...

Last night I tried working on the fashion pieces, but all I was able to accomplish was find a piece of scrap wood to roughly sand down to size...  grr~~~~

Be patient!  It'll all come together :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks guys!

Well, I finally dove into the bowsprit this week.  Sunday I went to Kinkos and made copies of the plans, then cut the drawings out and attached them to the wood yesterday.

I would have done it earlier, but I was in Norfolk this week (aboard the Iwo again).  Still, got back yesterday and with the help of a few beers was able to glue the drawings on.

One thing I noticed is that I probably should have started to taper the bowsprit before gluing the side dwg's on, because otherwise my octagonal sections will need to be tapered in quite a bit (and could screw up their shape)...  oh well- I'm still in the learning curve...  darn hindsight~~~~

Probably not much shaping this weekend due to my dad coming in and Mother's day, but next week I'll hit it pretty hard.  :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I may be slow in posting pics since my 6-year old laptop is on its last legs....(at least it's not running XP, otherwise I'd be screwed!).  And the budget doesn't allow for major computer purchases at this time...

Just gotta hang in there~~~

Great to see you back at work, at the new place, and back on the boards!!  Everything else will fall into place - congratulations sir!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Finally a "real" update:  I've been working on the bowsprit this week (not too bad once the drawings are attached)...  got most of it tapered and the hex parts shaped, but I'll probably have to redo the piece....  :(

Last night around 9 pm I made the stupid mistake of getting a venti coffee from Starbucks, and was up until 2:30 am sanding and tapering by hand...  After four hours of sanding and shaping (all the while getting covered in sawdust), I realized that it wasn't coming out straight enough (although dimensions were ok), and it was a little tricky seeing my centerline (the drawings had some verrrrry slight curve to them when I glued them on), and the tapers weren't quite even/square enough...

So, tonight I'm going to mark centerlines first, then taper sides/bottom, THEN make some more copies and affix the drawings...

Oh well- practice makes perfect I suppose...  just no late-night coffee this time (and I have to get up at 6)...  ;)

Hooray!!  Progress is good - just getting back to things myself and boy did I miss it.  So if it took "coffee" to keep ya going - then all hail the starbucks!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey- back from my sailing lessons/vacation!!  And I passed both certifications!!!!  :)  Had THE time of my life- was pure heaven!!!!!!!  Plus, we were sailing around what I believe was the Sultana- got lots of pics on my phone that I need to upload so y'all can drool over!!  lol~~

Anyway, build is obviously on the back burner for now (getting re-set up since our stuff from TX came a few weeks ago and I gotta get the shop rearranged).  :) 

Plus, I'm looking at boat rentals for a day so I can keep building my experience!  ;)

All is well- miss you guys!!!

When you can, Rich.   I'm looking forward to your progress on the model and also your sailing pics.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, Rich. Hoping you or someone else following this can answer a question for me. Getting ready to plank the hull and I see the width at BHD H is wider than the stem and stern. How am I supposed to know the width at the ends and at what rate should the width decrease?

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 1 month later...