Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

But still pressing forward and digging around.  Something has to come up soon!   :)

That's the spirit!! :10_1_10:   With that attitude - you are absolutely right;  good to see you keeping positive - so much of it is just that.

Kudos!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Rich, 

Yea your better off being honest. Even if all your other skills are above average all they will remember is you lied. Been dealing with that at work trying to find scenic painters. 

Looks like your staying focused and positive, like Adam said, thats probably most of the battle. Plus you have your build as a distraction, and bacon of course. Life without a slice of bacon isnt worth living.  ;)

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I agree- honesty is the way to go, especially with how involved they get nowadays with background checks, etc...  One teensy little white lie= you're out!  

Still, I just hope that the gov gets their act together and ends this shutdown and gets things moving again, and especially finds some resolution on the debt limit (which is absurd to me).  [Yeah, that makes sense:  if a person/family is about to default on their mortgage, credit cards, etc., instead of reducing their spending (shopping sprees, latte's, huge donations to organizations, keeps growing their family size, makes those who pay for their debt have to buy products they don't need, etc.), they just get the banks to increase their credit limit, and they have someone else pay the bill (and increase their payments) when it comes in the mail, with zero accountability and responsibility...]

Sorry to get political, but unfortunately these days sooo much is inter-twined and it's all related...  And we have to stop this looming trainwreck- both the gov and We the People (which, gov forgets that they work for us, since we elected them.  We're the boss, not them.)

Oh well...  Build update:  finished painting the quarter davits and last night I made the boarding ladders (will paint this weekend and install- gotta shift some gun tackle to get them in the right location on the bulwarks).  I also installed and painted the steps on the outside of the hull.  :)

After ladders are installed, I'll work on the catheads other stuff at the bow. 

Yay- finally a bit of positive news:  talked to HR today and she said they're pressing forward!  :)  They'll be verifying my references this week and some other stuff, then should have an offer soon thereafter once all goes well!  :)  Once I accept, then begins the "probing" for interim clearances, etc...  once that all checks out THEN I can start (if interim doesn't clear, then it's back to square one, which I doubt).

Of course, she couldn't give a timeline or rough estimate due to all the gov stuff and shutdowns, recent security "issues" in the news, etc, so it may take a while.  I may just take a 2-3 month contract gig to tide me over until I get the all-clear.  :)

So at least I'm still in the running and there's movement.  :)

Build update: I have the ladders installed and I'm working on the catheads.  Once they're installed I'll get pics up I promise!!!  :)  I may hold off a bit on installing the main's channels and quarter davits (less stuff to break during a potential move, but re-attaching the smokestack shouldn't be a problem if it comes off).  :)  So I'll be working on the remaining hull stuff for now.  Bowsprit, masts & spars will be a while (still somewhat intimidated by those for some reason- perhaps it's my tapering "skills," but no matter.)

Hi Rich

Taking a short term contract sounds like a good idea

Brings in some cash and keeps your hand in as well as exposing 

you to a potential employer

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Rich, that's terrific news. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Niagara.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Rich, I'm glad to hear the good news. You now have an adventure that will make time fly for the next year or so. I'm looking fwd to seeing pictures of your build.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hey Rich,

I am very glad to hear the positive job news.  Temp gig could a good thing too. Difficult to maintain one's attitude with no money coming in.

Joe

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Great news Rich!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Awesome pictures Rich. You are moving right along with these fiddly bits. Everything looks very clean.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks Patrick- these little bits seem to go a little easier than I thought, and they turn out ok for my first try.  One thing I'm definitely going to rethink is the rigging line- I'll probably switch to cotton or something less shiny/more authentic than the synthetic that came with the kit.  I want a softer, more natural feel for the rigging, not the stiff/plastic feel of the nylon stuff.

Especially with how my "blackened" parts keep turning out- more of a dark rust than true black, so I want the rigging to reflect that look and feel.  Clean (as clean as I can do anyway), yet worn/broken in.  :)

I'm also thinking of a simple way to make the hammock rails, with minimal or no soldering...  maybe just some bent brass strips, etc...

When I put these together I only soldered the posts on the end. I made a little contraption similar to a press that allowed me to create every stanchion exactly in the same shape. On the end stanchions (fore, aft and at the stairs) I soldered a pin to the bottom of them that I was able to place in a locator holes on the rails. The stanchions in between were just glued down without the locating pins. I did the wooden rails that ride the stancions by measuring on the wooden rails where the stancions would come in contact with them and cutting a slot on the bottom of them to seat them down on the ends of the stanchions and used black paper to simulate the little holders (I know... it's cheating, but it looks ok). 

I'm sure there are other ways that are better or more correct, but I figured I'd share what worked for me.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Rich,

I agree with Patrick - absolutely awesome!

In respect to your comments to rigging line,I'm going to strongly consider using Morope. A friend uses that brand on all of his builds and it looks great. I do not know how much it will cost, but if it's not cost prohibitive that's the route I want to take.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Rich, Great looking ladders! As far as the rope, somebody mentioned somewhere that the Mororope unravels but I understand Chucks Syren rope does not. He is about $5 for 20'. I dont know how that compares to Mororope price wise, Just an option.

Since we are talking about rope, what diameter do the ropes you used on your carronades scale out to?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

If I were to compare Morope to Chuck's Syren rope, I would compare the following characteristics, color, cost, side by side looks, stretching, size,

and unraveling. I strongly believe anything Chuck endorses is top grade, but it would be interesting to hear the opinions of a few people who may have conducted a side by side comparison.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I've heard everyone say good stuff about Morope- wherever you can get that...  and Chuck's rope looks great.  I haven't seen anything I like at Michaels, and I haven't checked out Hobby Lobby yet.  I'm trying to find a good cost-effective solution, especially since I'll need a ton of it (replacing all that came with the kit, and also since I'll be turning my own diameters on the ropewalk, which means 3 x's the length).  

Sam, I'm not quite sure about the scale diameter of the cannon rigging, but I do know that for the breech lines I used 3 strands of the 021 line in the kit.  The tackle lines were 3 strands of the 008 line.

Last night I managed to cut slots in the catheads and add small sheaves (used super thin slices of the 1/8" dowel).  I'm working on their fitting/shaping onto the hull.

CONGRATS Rich. That's really great news!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN !!!!

Congrats, Rich  :)  :) :)  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

HOORAY!!!

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Thanks guys!  It's funny, bc we actually had reservations tonight at this nice steakhouse/ranch (can I say super fresh and awesome steaks!)...  Well, I got the offer after plans were made, so needless to say it was a nice surprise during a wine toast.  ;)  

So I'll probably be on the phone calling family, etc. this weekend, and gotta let them know by Tuesday if I accept/negotiate.  And I doubt much building the next few weeks due to preparing to move, etc., but I'll dry to do some small stuff.  :)  

You guys have been awesome for your support- it has definitely helped me throughout this tough time.  Whether it's our builds or personal lives- MSW members are the best caliber of friends that really care!  I thank all of you sincerely, and will never forget your support!  :)

So... once I get settled then some serious building will resume...  but obviously I'll be checking in.  :)

Thanks guys!!!  :)

Ah- Ken, I'll be moving to Virginia (working in Dahlgren).  It's a position for Communications/electronic warfare engineering, which will be fascinating to learn more of and help develop the field.  I'll find out more once I start (mid-Nov or so).  Sounds super cool, right up my alley and what I want to learn and what I can bring to the table, and the area/region is gorgeous (trees, rivers, hills- gorgeous outside).  :)