Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

thank you........I hope to get back to her soon.   one more day,  and I'll be on vacation till the new year!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

I love the colors and detail on your ship, a very professional looking build in progress!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

thanks Larry....I hope to have an update on her soon.   planking has been taking up most of my time.   when I can get the lower shrouds in finished,  I can start to do the ratlines and the second set.   I also need to get on with the yards as well.   the stern is going to get some extra detail as well.......still a lot of work to do    stay tuned and thanks for the good word!  ;)

happy Holidays to you and yours.......hope the new year holds good things for you!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

me too!   I have enjoyed rigging plastic builds.........but this being my first major wood kit.......it's kick'in my butt!   I am enjoying it though,  but it will be a while though,  before I can call it finished.   my main goal is still to put as much as I can into her......even though she is a smaller scale,  than other folks are building these at.   I still have a desire to attempt a larger scale build of her.   one of these days...if I can get out from under all these builds.   that the beauty of this hobby.....there are so many ships that deserve to be modeled,  I'm like a kid in a candy store.    that's probably why I watch so many builds......so many talented modelers here :)

thanks for the thought Shawn........I appreciate your following along ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

To quoteth Popeye: ""There are so many ships that deserve to be modeled,  I'm like a kid in a candy store. That's probably why I watch so many builds.....So many talented modelers here""

That's exactly how I feel...and so little time to do everything you would like to too.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

you and yours as well,  my friend...........have you finished your Dragen?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

After Nenad informed me about the missing pictures in the Boulogne Etaples build,  I went looking.   found a few problems here as well.  I had to go back about ten or so pages.......but I think I have it under control now   :)   I miss the time when I used to run both tables.......I found it very easy to toggle between builds and move along in a more flowing fashion.

I have been looking for the avenue to make the switch 'er roo.......but I have failed.  the Half Moon has become an interesting build.  the revelations and changes I've made with her,  have also caused me to lose track of time.   looking at the last date on this build,  it has forced me to make the switch.  it feels early,  still to me.....I feel as though I have not completed everything I wanted to do on the Half Moon.  but the pull is that,  as everyone knows,  is that I am not finished.  but to be finished,  is to place the last piece,  and step away from the table........and I am far from that.   so,  I am going to try the old method......with luck,  I can appease both forces at the same time.

post-612-0-11877900-1397139493_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So does this mean you'll be working the Goth and 1/2 moon at the same time? Whichever it's fun just watch in.

I definitely know what you mean though, now that I stepped out of the "only one build at a time" mindset I to feel the pull.

Like highlander, can you feel the quickening, Although... 

THERE CAN BE MORE THEN ONE!  :dancetl6: :dancetl6: :dancetl6: :dancetl6:

Popeye, whatever you do will be right.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Keith.......nawwww,  I think it was the winter blase.....that got me down.   usually it doesn't hit me......but this winter,  I felt like a putz.

if this flies........who knows what will be on the other table,  but the main table will not change.

thanks Bob.......I'm making progress,  but it is slow......I need to speed it up somehow.  I know I don't have to,  but I feel compelled to do so.

we are in the midst of a good stretch of weather.......it's getting warmer.  Gibbs and I have been going out into the field.......still snow at first.......but now the grass is showing fully,  and the ground has dried.  we are both happy :)  I feel the sun on my face,  and it is good.

of all the things I value

most in life

I look upon my world

and feel the warmth

....and know that it is good!

.....you know that I should!  :)      {chorus from Sabbath's  'spiral architect'} 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

a very nice looking build your Gothenburg. I`m not up to date with Billing Boats.... is this an older model ?

The kit Looks to be quite precise and comprising Details to the score

Thanks for sharing this one, shall stay tuned for more

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Nils........no,  this is one of their more up to date kits....laser cut and all.   I have been blessed by three people here,  that have supplied me with pictures of her.  I'm following these pictures and adding in as much as this scale will allow.   I wish it was a larger scale,  but I have been successful so far with what I've been able to do. {I like to think so}   there are a few things I let slip by me though,  and the absence of the carvings does take away from it a bit,  but I do have plans for this build some time down the road.  so I will finish it as best I can,  and hope to create a second,  larger build in the future.  it's a honor to have an experienced modeler,  like yourself looking in ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wish I had something to report......I have pictures...but they are wrong. I had begun the shroud work on the main mast. I'm looking for a natural flow to the dead eyes, rather than the even symmetrical flow, done as an aesthetic feature. I kinda gave this a margin of + or - 1 mm........my botched attempt is a bit beyond that. so I'll be removing them and starting over.....hopefully I can correct this and get the main shrouds finished, so I can do the ratlines. there is also one fore stay, that I might need to replace......I'll see what it looks like when I do the second step shrouds. an update soon...... ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye

Tut tut re deadeyes  you should always look -----> forward and not <------ backwards ( got you my friend ha ha ).

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Denis.

yes you did :D :D my 'head' wasn't in it. bet your misgiving isn't as bad as mine :) look forward in seeing your progress ;)

happy Easter to you and yours as well. I'll be working :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: