Which kit manufacturer is best?

Shazmira

I am looking for my next kit,current build is an Artesania Latina...plenty of pitfalls, and lots of bashing to do on this one. I am curious if there is a manufacturer out there that is relatively problem free and who that might be. I have been looking at some OcCre kits and am impressed by what is written about them but can find no OcCre build logs here at all to see what real people have to say. Any advice is appreciated.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn,

OcCre was started by a group of former AL people.  Long story short: The owner of AL decided to move many operations to SE Asia.    Anyway, I've heard that OcCre are step up. You might look in the gallery to see what's been finished and PM the builder for their opinions. 

Footnote:  I see several OcCre Montanes, an Albatross, a Santisima Trinidad and others.  All together 8 builds.   You have search for OcCre.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like Occre also. I just picked up the Endeavour and it looks to be a very good kit. There is a seller in Spain that sells it for about a third of what it costs here. They don't have one listed right now but they will eventually.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/texas-trains-de/m.html?item=160978862287&viewitem=&rt=nc?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Ah, found them, guess I was not doing my search properly before, or else the logs had not yet been restored when I was looking...I do really like the Montanes, she is a beauty. Thanks for all your help.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I am currently building the Albatros by OcCre. It is a beginner level kit which is great for me as it is my first kit. I found the instructions okay ( with help from the old MSW build logs).  The picture instructions were very helpfull and the instructions were translated well. All of the parts were in the kit, but there were no extras. If you drop a deadeye, you better find it. :-)

Bill

Finished builds: Albatros by OcCre 1:100 Badger by Caldercraft

current build: Royal Louis

Hi Robbyn

I am currently rigging the Apostol Felipe and have done the Albatross a few years ago as a first build, I personally can't say enough about the kits and customer service .

The instructions that came included both photo's and written instructions, the wood was plentiful and of a pretty good quality ,minor edge sanding needed for planking. I made my own doors and replaced the plywood railing that runs between the different levels on the decks and the railing around the rear of the ship with my own simple railing that seemed to fit the ship better to my eye .

So I would say for my skill level  2 or 3 smaller builds under my belt this kit  gave me solid instructons that kept the build fun and also allowed me to start scratch building more of the smaller components such as doors , railings and canon carriages etc.

As a small added bonus they are offering free and free shipping  wooden name plates engraved with the ship name and your name as builder  just contact customer service and request it, they sent me one for each of my occre kits  that I had .

If you need any more info I can post pics of the ships or instructions for you, just ley me know..............Steve

current build : Apostol Felipe

past : Mississippi riverboat, Albatross and a few midwest kits

future : Santisima Trinidad

Robbyn: Depending on what ship you want to build my best experience has been with Model Shipways out of the US and Caldercraft out of the UK. Model Shipways seems to focus on American ships but have great plans and kits that contain all of their parts and if you do find a part missing Model Expo is great in supplying missing parts. I have completed a USS constitution kit from this company.

I am presently working on a caldercraft kit (Agamemnon) and Found the quality of the kit has been great. While I have had to do a little kit bashing (no blocks for the guns, treenailing the deck) they kits have been complete and parts of high quality and plans that are user friendly.

Both kits are available online to check out

Hope that helps

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Robbyn,

You probably already know my opinion but, Modelshipways is much better than AL.

-A

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Before I bought the San Fran II by AL I bought the Adventure from Amati, a pseudo pirate ship.

The kit was okay from a parts standpoint but the directions were horrible. You think AL lacks... you ain't seen nothing yet until you've seen these "directions". I sent it back and that adventure cost about $50 for shipping both ways and a restocking fee that I chalked up to learning. Here are 2 images of the very beginning of their instructions... they did not get better than that and the complete thing was about 2 pages of English like this. They assumed a lot from the builder I guess like the rastremare instruction... taper parts? The only photos were on the box lid.

So... IMHO, I can't say which is best but I can say which I consider the worst... especially for a newbie.

Randy

Edited by lamarvalley

I will second recommendations for both Model Shipways and Bluejacket. Both market a good product and will stand behind that product.

Bluejacket has some of the best parts and supplies on the market right now. Their prices are steep because they are, as you can see in that photograph, a small, family owned company. However, nearly everything they sell is made in house.

Russ

Wow, thank you so much for the great feedback. As I progress through this first build I am hoping some brave soul will tell me near the end just where my skill level lies so I can better determine how much to bite off for that next build!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Wow, thank you so much for the great feedback. As I progress through this first build I am hoping some brave soul will tell me near the end just where my skill level lies so I can better determine how much to bite off for that next build!

you can just do what i did and jump straight in on your second build. I chose the MS Constitution. I've learned a lot from it.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Robbyn

Join us take a walk on the so called dark side.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/52-hms-triton-28-gun-frigate/

It's nice, it's all there and not a huge life investment. If you have build a kit you might already have most of the equipment. If you need to buy a tool or two, odds are you will use it on the next kit build, if you go back that is.

Ok, kits I like modelshipsways kits, a large step above most of the rest that I've seen. Have not had the pleasure of working with a Blue Jacket kit yet. Still something is not right on most of the kits that's why I'm trying the above HMS Triton.

Good Luck and look for something that will give YOU enjoyment and pleasure not hard times.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

42rocker, scratchbuilds oh my :o but then again hmmmm ^_^  very very tempting.......

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

42rocker, scratchbuilds oh my :o but then again hmmmm ^_^  very very tempting.......

He's right.. the cross-section is a very good way to get started.  Take a look at the build logs when you get a chance.  If this is not the time for you to do it, keep it in mind for when it is. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really Robbyn, please take a look at what these kind folks have set up for us to try out. There are several cross section build kits out there. I know I own at least two of them. This is a chance to build one on your own. Instead of sending your money to a kit maker you make or buy wood. Pete38 pointed out some wood that could be used in a build that is sold at home depot. I was there the other day and did a guess on total cost that way and was under $20.00. Next big thing is do you have a jig saw type of tool. Could cut out the frame pieces by hand, but.

Any rate $20.00 cost in a plain wood more if you want different woods. Need sand paper and a printer that is working (I had fun on that one) and a scissors and glue and off you can go.

Start off is a nice piece of scrap wood that you can give it a try on then you get to see the rest of the plans and you get to go from there. Take a look at the finished cross sections is that something that you would like to try.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker

OMG two posts in a roll on this dark side. Really on a simple build on a HMS Triton how long do you think that it would take to build. Don't ask me as I'm still getting my hobby stuff ready for this. And I'm doing it double size 1:24 scale. Please take a long look at the ones that are finished and think about it. If your into doing masts and sails and rigging well this might be a start that you could move over by a few frames and add a mast and rigging. Just got in a Ancre book this afternoon that I hear calling me, so.

Later 42rocker

Hi Shaz,i made the Occre Palamos fishing boat for my first kit,i was very happy with it and learnt enough to carry on.The colour photo's helped a lot as to how it's supposed to look,you can add other details if you like.I've ordered the Occre endeavour for my 4th ship kit should be a nice one.I'm doing a caldercraft supply but pretty vague instructions but with other builds here of it i can do it.Good luck start of with a small easier one.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Caldercraft have always scored well in past surveys since I joined the site some 5 years ago, whilst I have ony built their kits to date I love the service they offer and maintain which means a lot to me as an ex Quality Manager in industry for too many years now. The quality is great and even if they do get it wrong correcting that error has been so simple in my experience.

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Thanks for everyone's input....I am seriously perusing my choices of kits from those suggested to find the kit that appeals to me, then watch for it to hopefully go on sale or found on ebay. At the same time I am beginning my research into the dark side....thinking a cross section just might be do-able  :dancetl6: 

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I would suggest the Syren from model shipways, plenty of logs here on MSW to look at, superb design and instructions from Chuck who is the Administrator of this site.

Quality of parts and backup support from MS is superb.

It would also be a good step up from where you are now.

Ben

I agree with Ben. Although I don't have any personal experience with that particular kit, I can attest to the thoroughness of Chuck's practicums.

And with the offer code from Model Expo, you can get it for a great price.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Robbyn

Go to Model expos main web page, click on special offers, then you'll see the sales.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Shaz-  open this link for the sale price:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/search.asp?SKW=cat1_s@%20ms@%20DANCE&srccode=MAD13

The price for the kit should be $250.  If you just open their main site the price is $299.  The link above came in to MSW members.

NOW---   If you also type in Offer Code LUCKY13, you should get another $45 off that if you order by 3/31.

Good luck!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,.. beat me to it... I have bow to the faster poster.  post-76-0-50541400-1362886393.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hahahahaha.  We sound like battling salesmen.  She may not be able to use the additional LUCKY13 code because of the sale but it's worth having/trying.

Now, for the next 10 minutes only, I have a great deal on a bridge in Brooklyn  :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956