USS Constitution by Jeff - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

Thanks Rich. I just followed the the plans for the kit which shows the configuration I did. The kits plans are based on the way the ship looks now so I assume the actual ship will have the same configuration. Anatomy of a Ship shows 4 per side also but in a different configuration.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I do not have a photo of all of them, but this one shows the 4 closest to the bulkhead.

post-10450-0-36928800-1398039788_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Its hard to argue with a photo.  I'm sure that Model Shipways took the latest configuration.  If you want to get really precise when doing scale, you usually have to pick a specific date and even then its really difficult to capture all the details correctly.  The Connnie has been rebuilt so many times during its life that almost none of the original wood remains in Boston harbor.

One piece of advice which may be helpful.  I'm working on the running rigging on my Mantua Connie, which is suppose to be the 1797 configuration.  As you can see it looks quite different than the MS 2040 configuration.  I would highly recommend that before you complete the mast construction you study the rigging very thoroughly.  There are a great number of blocks and harness elements that will be needed.  Carefully consider installing most or all of these features before stepping the masts and laying in the standing rigging.  It has been very cumbersome installing these items amongst a sea of thread.

Best of luck,  Bob

P.S. Apparently there is a difference between plain photos and scanned .jpg files.

post-1270-0-66359500-1398047547_thumb.jpg

post-1270-0-09402300-1398047578_thumb.jpg

Bob

Current Build:  Mantua "USS Constitution - 1797"

Pending:  Model Shipways "USS Constitution"

Completed:  Model Shipways "USF Essex -1799"

Model Shipways "New Bedford Whale Boat"

Billings "Zwarta Zee" (RC)

BlueJacket "Sequin" Tugboat (RC)

Thanks Robnbill, that is the first image I have seen of any portion of the seats. I guess they frown upon tourist leaning and climbing over the rails to get to portions of the ship not open to the public.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

I ran across this little interesting article about the Constitution's head:

http://usscm.blogspot.com/2014/01/head-lines.html

• 1 month later...

I just discovered my Constructo USS Constitution doesn't show any binnacles? How can they make a model with no compass? I'll just copy yours.

If it makes you feel any better neither did the Mamoli plans. I used photos, and if I recall the AOS to carve mine. Then to put the round tops on them I drill small holes in the top point and glued small ball bearings. Here is a photo of mine as well as a few from the Connie today. The only change I would have made to my construction of them was I aded the ball bearings as an after thought since they did not look correct just coming to a point. So I drilled progressively larger wholes (starting very small) until I had the landing size I wanted of the bearing to be glued onto. In retrospect, it would have been much easier to have drilled the hole before a sanded down the points. It would have also given me a point to sand to that would be very easy to see if it was favoring one plane over another as I sanded it down.

Anyway - just my two cents.

Bill

post-10450-0-27223400-1402491820_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-99063000-1402492313_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-52708000-1402492315_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-49810900-1402492450_thumb.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

What do you know about the portholes beneath the gun deck? Constructo just gives me open rivets. Portholes should have glass. What did you do?

The portholes on the MS version are pretty much the same. Its just a cast metal porthole inserted into an opening drilled in the hull.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Very impressive build. I am in the process of the same build now, a little out of my league but it's working. Finished the San Francisco & syren. Your photos help a lot

Thanks. It has been a challenge every step of the way.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

What do you know about the portholes beneath the gun deck? Constructo just gives me open rivets. Portholes should have glass. What did you do?

I believe those aren't portholes as we know them.  Those are probably air ports to allow air into the junior officer quarters on the berth deck.  Constellation has/had them also.  If I recall correctly, there's a wooden plug that goes in the opening to seal it in bad weather.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

Hi

As regards driling tiny blocks,make a small jig out of four pieces of wood glue them all together so you have a hole

the same size of the blocks down the middle, glue a stop in the hole the depth of the block make a lid to fit on top of the jig

find a brass tube inside diameter of the drill and glue it through the top block and make sure it is dead centre of the hole

where the block fits, very lightly tack it on top then drill a hole each side going through the block and into the jig fit two

dowls then take the top block off put in your block put the top block in place and insert the dowls gently drill into your block.

You would need to add a small hole underneath to eject the block.

Hope it works Janet B

Hi

As regards driling tiny blocks,make a small jig out of four pieces of wood glue them all together so you have a hole

the same size of the blocks down the middle, glue a stop in the hole the depth of the block make a lid to fit on top of the jig

find a brass tube inside diameter of the drill and glue it through the top block and make sure it is dead centre of the hole

where the block fits, very lightly tack it on top then drill a hole each side going through the block and into the jig fit two

dowls then take the top block off put in your block put the top block in place and insert the dowls gently drill into your block.

You would need to add a small hole underneath to eject the block.

Hope it works Janet B

Thanks for the suggestion Janet. I think I get the idea. Would you happen to have a diagram of the suggested jig, or a picture?

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I agree, a diagram would be very useful. How does this work with double or triple sheave blocks?

• 11 months later...

I don't see anymore updates since November 2014. Is it located elsewhere?

Greg

Hi Greg. This is still the current log. I have neglected the model for some time now and it sits here on the shelf awaiting my attention. I will be back to it soon I think. I've been focusing more on my other hobbies lately and perhaps secretly working on another model ship.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 3 years later...

Okay, so after a short break 😀 I'm getting back to work on my conny. So, where was I? Oh yeah, rigging cannons. Sometimes when you wait a little something good happens. One of the issues I had was the blocks provided with the kit. No bueno. I ordered some blocks from warner and they were better but now Syren Ship Model Company has blocks too. I ordered some of the blocks from Syren to finish the cannon rigging, the 1/8 double and 3/32 single blocks. I have a feeling they will be much better to work with. There is still the issue of drilling holes in the end of the block for the hooks. I don't think it matters which method I choose, its not easy. I managed to start on one and after a lengthy struggle got the holes drilled and the hooks in and partially rigged the first cannon. It was a lot easier to drill a hole in the 1/8 block but the 3/32 block is tiny and my aging eyes and shaky hands aren't helping much. Making the hooks was no walk in the park either. Picture below. The blocks here are warner. I'll wait for my new blocks to do the other side and do a comparison.  I do think I'm going to cheat a little and rig only the outer rigging

20190404_180159.thumb.jpg.09acd7aabea58b81994874d820c0c8ce.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff try using black wire to rig your blocks, wrap, three tight twists and in a hook. Same way Chuck describes in Medway Longboat rigging. It works really well and once you get it down it is easier, less time consuming and no block breakage.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Thanks Jim. I hadn't made it that far on the longboat before disaster struck. I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hey Jeff, It is great to see you back at it. I missed your build log. I am again in limbo. My wife has me doing some crown moulding the house. Funny how the wife's list interferes with my modeling. This time I am planning on working on my Conny at least some time during the week. Have fun and look forward to your progress. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Good to have you back

Well, at the least you haven't given up on her entirely, Jeff. Good to see you back.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy