USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

You could go fishing with those puppies

I think you just uncovered the squirrells' secret plan for this ship...

Hi Matt.... you've come a long way since I last ckd in on your build.....all I can say is,your work is just outstanding!!  I really like the look you have given your build, I don't think you'll have any problem with the rigging  :P and thanks for your nice comments they were appreciated.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Boyd, George, Cathead, Buck, Sam and Frank for your kind words of encouragement. Also thanks to everyone for hitting the like button.

I'm at a point on this ship where rigging is on the horizon. As this is my first fully rigged ship, I'm taking my time to learn the how any why's in this process. This book was suggested in another log to aide while rigging and is quite impressive.

post-17116-0-07236800-1444830636.jpeg

On the list for learning was serving ropes. I at first was going to skip by this step, but decided that I've gone this far so why stop short. So I whipped up a little serving machine and started practicing. ($4 for the gears and the rest was leftovers.)

post-17116-0-47647400-1444830502_thumb.jpeg

First up for testing were the shrouds. My original ones are on the top and the newly served shrouds below. I'm still learning what ropes would be served, so for now I'm starting with the standing rigging and go from there.

post-17116-0-41433800-1444830527_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-68871700-1444830514_thumb.jpeg

I got the four shrouds made and they seem to be ok for now. But before I could go any further, it's necessary to make all of the blocks. I've only about 30 3mm blocks left to make and then can proceed with the rigging. Any pointers, suggestions or criticism is greatly appreciated and welcomed. After all it'd be nice for the rigging to not look like a first grader did it.

post-17116-0-31296500-1444830542_thumb.jpeg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Matt, good work on the serving and that's a good looking serving machine.  How are you making the blocks?  I might have missed that somewhere.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think you'll be more than happy that you chose to serve the lines, I think it makes a great difference in how well the rigging looks, even though it doesn't seem to be noticeable at times, it really does change the overall look.

My thanks to those who pushed the like button. It's a great motivational aspect of MSW.

Ken, thank you. S-team is lucky to have your air support.

Mark, I had to search to find it myself, post #282 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/9830-uss-ranger-by-mattss-corel-sm55-164-medium-4th-build-2nd-build-log/page-15#entry334955. I've never had a true dimensions of a block so I make the width 1mm less than the height, it looks somewhat balanced.

Brian, thank you for your kind comments. I know if I skipped serving I'd regret it later.

So the basis of serving, as I understand, is for frictional protection. So different ships rope were served to fit the individual need. Would it be "ok" to serve the standing rigging, that is usually black rope, in it entirety? Serving seems to alleviate most of the stretch and sagging issues that happen over time. Then just serve serve the areas where friction is an issue?

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

So the basis of serving, as I understand, is for frictional protection. So different ships rope were served to fit the individual need. Would it be "ok" to serve the standing rigging, that is usually black rope, in it entirety? Serving seems to alleviate most of the stretch and sagging issues that happen over time. Then just serve serve the areas where friction is an issue?

Your Ranger be a beautiful thing to behold indeed, Matt !!

As for the serving, my opinion is that you and your squirrels are correct in that the primary purpose would have been to provide additional protection to the lines to prevent breakages/unravel-lings. I can just imagine that nothing would ruin your day more than having a back-stay fail during an extremely rough squall. So, certainly, serving the rigging, particularly at the stress points, would help to prevent this from occurring.

Purely for artistic reasons (which I know are near an' dear to yourself), have you considered worming the lines ??

(Not the kind that prevents the pet dog/squirrel from dragging his rump across the lawn !!)

For myself, I thought this method of seizing/serving the back-stays showed off the contrast of the lines just that little bit better.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you do to bring this build all together !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks CaptainSteve, great insight from a fellow S-team member. I'm familiar with the worming and parceling, not the slushing. I haven't tried worming, but I'll give it a shot. You're right it would give it a nice contrast. I like the parceling as well so maybe all three for specified rigging? I'll try a few tonight.

Side note: once I feel comfortable with serving I plan on hooking up my dremel flex shaft to the opposite side for speed. Hopefully it won't turn it into a flying jig!

post-17116-0-38532900-1444917268_thumb.jpeg

My understanding is that the picture you show is the entire process of line preservation, which we (model builders) simply refer to as serving.  I've never heard of worming done on it's own, it's just the first step of the entire process that ends with the coating of the served line.

Worming was done to fill in the low points in the large line so that the following steps had more of a round shape to work on.  In the scales that we work in, the serving with a dark thread is simulating the tarred (slushing) line after serving, and I'm not even sure how one would go about doing a wormed line at scale, and since the serving would cover it up anyway, I'm not sure why you'd do it, except maybe just to see if you could!

If you run into trouble Matt, it'll probably be in the parceling, as finding thin enough material to work with at these scales will be difficult. I think trying to do it will end up making the finished product way to thick, and looking out of scale.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

You are correct Brian, I had no idea until you explained it and I read up on it a bit. I know we're all adults here, but who the heck named some of these nautical terms? The worming line fills the channels between the strands, of which this channel is called a cuntline. It was often changed to contlines, which, in our world, is surely better sounding to the Admirals and eliminates suspicion and back pedaling.

post-76-0-92442900-1444966318.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very insightful discussion on cable preservation (aka "serving")  :)

Can I assume the above picture that shows the cable preservation steps has the worming slightly exaggerated because there is no "low point" in the cable? 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hey Boyd, this explains it better than I can. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm,_parcel_and_serve

While you read that hit the link "cuntline" and it explains the grove between the cables more.

Hey Boyd, this explains it better than I can. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm,_parcel_and_serve

While you read that hit the link "cuntline" and it explains the grove between the cables more.

Thanks for the link it describes the process perfectly for those who have never heard of the term before.

David B

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's taken awhile for me to get set up for the rigging part of this build. All the blocks are made as well as a fair quantity of rope in six different sizes have been soaked in Early American Minwax, dried and hung neatly on my wall for quick access.

Mast accessories were made from brass tubing and bamboo. It took a lot of thinking and rethinking of everything that needed to be added to the mast before they get tied down. What a pain it would be to undo everything because I forgot something.

post-17116-0-37191800-1446469902_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-05314400-1446469915_thumb.jpeg

Gun ports were cut out as well as two coats of poly added to the exterior. The shrouds with the deadeyes were installed on both main and mizzen mast since I had a jig set up for spacing. Originally each side were different ropes but I changed it to a one piece from port to starboard.

post-17116-0-80611500-1446469931_thumb.jpeg

Shrouds and stays are complete on the main mast and am now pushing forward towards the bowsprit. Modifications were added to the bowsprit that will be seen once the standing rigging is completed. I've also learned from others to NOT finish tying anything off until all the standing rigging is complete. Then I can true everything up all at one time to avoid any sagging or over tightening.

post-17116-0-51013200-1446469954_thumb.jpeg

So if anyone would like to see closer up, let me know and I'll take some pics for better viewing. I've been getting some practice at serving since my OCD took over and remade everything at least once if not more.

Looking good Matt!  I especially like the over-all view, and if I'm not mistaken again :rolleyes:, that's the first over-all you've posted after installing the mortar. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Matt, nicely done. Your rigging is looking good. :dancetl6:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Excellent work, Matt.  I like the way she's turning out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you George, Ken, Mark, Sam, David and everyone for the comments and likes.

Hey Sam, the shadow makes it look curved. It's the top mast and truck. I figured I show it before it disappeared under all the ropes.

I told you you wouldn't have any trouble with the rigging   :D..... looks really good, nice work!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I didn't want to clutter up anyone's log of their Connie, so here's a clip showing inspiration by this beautiful ship.

Pretty cool Matt!  Just looking at the size of those cap-rails, and how they're assembled, puts the 1:76 model in perspective. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Matt; I recently moved and in the move I lost my construction book for the ranger. I've finished about half the build and now I'm ready to finish the masts and then get into the rigging. Is there any chance you could copy the final pages of the book that will help me complete the project? I will gladly pay any associated costs.

Your build is great I've just gotten back into ship building and nobody would ever confuse your model with mine. The build is great!!!!.....Miloman

I decided to incorporate some more bamboo with the belaying pins and hearts. I used some light walnut on the jaws of the two gaffs and boom to give some contrast with the dark walnut as well.

post-17116-0-54433500-1449510752_thumb.jpeg

Now that the bowsprit is finished, the extended lengths of wood were joined together to give the front end a more solid, stronger look.

post-17116-0-53526800-1449510800_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-27486600-1449510790_thumb.jpeg

The remainder of the stays were served and installed. After that I went through and tightened up all of the lanyards and tackle, constantly checking to ensure that the masts stayed true.

post-17116-0-21370400-1449510855_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-34287000-1449511013_thumb.jpeg

I also began replacing the tackle on the cannons. It was just killing me to see the rigging stained and the cannons tackle bright and clean. The steering mechanism and the carronade are complete, the long gun is still left to replace.

post-17116-0-46610500-1449510864_thumb.jpeg

So here's the final look with the standing rigging finished. Now I begin the dilemma of what I'm going to do about the sail situation. Hopefully I'll have it figured out by the end of the year. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words of encouragement and for the likes.

post-17116-0-18643100-1449510824_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-78687900-1449510767_thumb.jpeg