After clarifying for myself what I mean by a ‘learning exercise’ (focus on learning the basic techniques more than attempting a beautiful finish) I decided to continue with the build, albeit with the imperfect frame sanding.
Also, as before with my Sherbourne build, I am using this log not only to clarify my own thinking, but also to help other newbies like myself should they come across similar puzzles and questions to the ones I find as the complexities arrive at each stage.
Part of this decision was not to make removable limber boards, and to avoid treenails. I thought that doing these precisely is beyond my skill level at present, especially as I’m still struggling with how I might make the angles on the limber boards more precise.
Pillars in the hold
These I made to scale of 6” square, with a tapered chamfer starting from 8” above the platform and within 6” of the beams as shown by David Antscherl in his book on the fully framed model. Also following his advice, I made 1mm dowels for the pillars and drilled corresponding holes in their bases and on the keelson.
(You'll see the finished pillars with the chamfered edges later in this post).
P1020345 annot.jpg 179.3KB
After fitting the first 4 strakes outside the limber strakes, I fitted the lower deck clamps. In order to ensure they were at the correct height, I added another platform to my height jig and measured off the height at all four edges.
I thought it best to measure out the spaces rather than use the planking shown in the plans, so I used a simple paper template to mark between the lower deck clamps and the bottom strakes.
This showed that the thick stuff would not be able to lie exactly over the centre of where the first futtock joins were, although it hit exactly over the centre of the second, upper set of futtock joins.
P1020351 small.jpg 231.16KB
I then checked the setting of the hold pillars
P1020353 annot.jpg 277.15KB
P1020354 small.jpg 203.78KB
Lower deck beams
I made up the beams to their actual size (rather than oversize) as I’m bending them with a jig.
First of all I measured the width at each beam’s position using an idea from David Antscherl’s book.
P1020359 small.jpg 212.58KB
I then marked the beams for cutting by measuring them after bending them over a 2mm drill bit. The actual height I measured in the CAD programme was 1.97mm, but I thought this would be within the margins of multiple errors.
P1020360 annot.jpg 171.98KB
I then transferred the cut beams to the following jig for bending:
P1020361 small.jpg 231.91KB
I am in the process of heating them with a very old hair dryer at occasional intervals over the next few hours until they achieve a stable bend:
P1020362 small.jpg 206.36KB
So the learning process continues, as I am sure it will continue to do so for a very long time!