Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Great idea, Mark.

But would starch hold long-term ??

What about a diluted PVA mix ?? What ratio do you suggest ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nice work CaptainSteve! On a previous set o sails, I slowly inserted a very small gauge of wire through the bottom cloth fold over, it can then be moved to desired shape. As for the lines I looked at a lot of photos and found that the tack and clew lines are belayed on the same side. I would imagine for safety's sake, a full sail could cause a bit of damage to the occupants, not so if the filled sails are off to the side. Don't know if that helps or not.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks heaps to everyone (especially Crackers, CapnHarv, Matt) for all the advice regarding my rigging.

Essentially, general opinion seems to be to rig the sails to one side so they don't cause head-aches (literally) for the crew. As such, I'll be untying a few lines this evening and seeing if I can come up with a better arrangement, however, this will greatly depend upon the belaying-pin set-up.

Stay-tuned !!

PS: Crackers. Originally, I was all in favour of modelling a Capt Bligh from SuperSculpey (have you seen Keith W's mini-tutorial here ??). Latest reports are, however, that the friend to whom this build be a-going will make a Bligh himself. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

But would starch hold long-term ??

What about a diluted PVA mix ?? What ratio do you suggest ??

Hi CaptainSteve,

I heard about use of starch or the diluted PVA for fixing of a form of a sail. 8 years ago I have applied other way. At first I gave the form to a sail using water and the hot iron, and then fixed it with using hairspray.

post-17539-0-46555500-1426612373_thumb.j

post-17539-0-49856200-1426612389_thumb.j

Best Regards!

Igor.

Thanks, Igor.

I'm planning on looking at my rig set-up this weekend.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve, I've been out of town working this week, so I'll get you some better pics of my rigging to compare to. I'm still not content with my two block pulley for the bunt lines and am waiting to see what you come up with.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Arrr ...

Our Hero didst spend-eth the better part o’ this Friday evenin’ contemplating not his navel, but his naval-rigging …
“I hath taken onboard the advice a-coming to me from the Sailing Ones (Thanks again, Guys),” CaptainSteve didst state most sincerely.

“To have-eth all lines fer a sail tied-eth off to the one side,” he began to ramble, “wouldst be-eth most goodly and may well help the crew aboard avoid boom-related headaches.”

Indeed-eth, as CaptainSteve were to discover,  it be-eth most possible that Our Hero could swap-eth the pin used to tie-off the foresail clew-line with the pin used to tie-off the mainsail tack-line.
“However,” he doth counter, “this doest create a new problem wi’ me bunt-lines. Where are they to be a-going ??” 

Thusly, he doth have a question ....
“Be it feasible, given the application o’ some Isopropyl,” CaptainSteve were to posit, “that the mast backstays wouldst be tied-off not to belaying-pins, but instead-eth to the risers ??”

This wouldst give-eth Our Hero the necessary extra belayin’ points fer ‘is ropes ….
"I be a-figurin'," he didst propose, "to untie, and if necessary, unglue, me ropes on the morrow ... or, mayhaps, the day after the morrow.”

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Wow, one lucky friend you have that will receive this beautiful Launch.

Boyd 

Thanks heaps, Boyd ...

CaptainAndrew and I do go back a long, long ways. However, I shall just say-eth that I cannot recount many of our adventures together, fer this be a family-orientated forum.

:cheers:  

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Do you have an empty pin at the base of your mast to belay bunt lines to?

Do you have an empty pin at the base of your mast to belay bunt lines to?

Nope.

Matt, as per the plans, there be one pin either side of each mast (4 pins). I have used these for the lift-lines, and one of (the most-forward on each sail) the bunt-lines.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

If I may be so impertinent... give some thought to doubling up the lines on the belaying pins.  There's no hard-fast rule that says one line per belaying pin.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If I may be so impertinent... give some thought to doubling up the lines on the belaying pins.  There's no hard-fast rule that says one line per belaying pin.

Oh !!! Didn't know that one !!!

Thanks, Mark.

Well, that little tidbit of information will certainly make things a lot easier.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Mark,

While I agree there's no hard and fast rule on more than one line on a belaying pin, there probably are some that you wouldn't want to double up on (halyards, sheets, etc).

My limited experience tells me that the line you need to release immediately is the one with 3 others belayed on top of it :o

Thanks,

Harvey

I agree Harvey.   It would take some thought on what to double up on.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark and Harvey !!

CaptainSteve be extremely grateful to the pair o' ye, at this moment ...

Verily, this were to be a "light-bulb moment" fer Our Hero !!

"You, Sir !!" CaptainSteve didst stand and point towards the cheap-seats. "Hereby and forthwith, you may feel-eth most free to be impertinent any time you do-eth bloody well wish !!"

... While I agree there's no hard and fast rule on more than one line on a belaying pin, there probably are some that you wouldn't want to double up on (halyards, sheets, etc).

Thanks, Harv'. Mayest I assume that it be preferable to have a lighter (thinner) line above a thicker one (a back-stay, mayhaps), rather than 'tother way 'round ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Captain Steve,

If you have to double up lines on one pin, that's probably a good idea. It's also a good idea to have the lines that need to be let go first on top.

It's also a good idea to think through where your lines will lead to the pins to avoid fouling-either on deck or aloft. Few things ruin your day more than a sail that won't come down in a squall because somebody tied the weather backstay on top of the halyard.

Just a thought . . .

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Harvey

Have you considered putting a cleat/cleats on your mast?

post-17116-0-23192700-1427604747.jpg

"Arr. Thanks, Matt," CaptainSteve yawned, a-fore stumblin' back to bed at 1:45am on a work night. "Cleats be somethin' else lacking from this kit. An' something else which I may have added, given actual sailing knowledge."

He didst go on, "But, never fear. Wi' the information afforded me from the Sailing Ones, the job hath just, this very moment, been completed."

Sorry, but Our Hero be yet to take any photographs ...

"These be a-coming o'er the next few days," CaptainSteve didst conclude. "But first, there be a surprise ..."

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

There is a really easy way to double lines

Just double beer cans, and all lonrs will be doubled.

But, how to fix them doubled?

It is also easy

Keep beer doubled

;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Err, No. Not that kind of surprise, Harv' .... keep readin'.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well, as mentioned, Our Hero didst most verily experience-eth a “light-bulb moment” upon reading Mark’s message …

“Ne’er in a million years,” he were to mumble ‘neath his breath, “wouldst I a-thought o’ doublin’-up me ropes to the belaying pins.”

Wi’ new-fired vigour, and armed with the new information, Our Hero didst attack-eth his rigging a-new.

“I didst only have to be moving four o’ me ropes from their original positions …”

But, a-fore commencing, CaptainSteve didst make-eth up a batch of rope loops to hang from his belaying pins.

“I be not sitting in me boat and tying these up,” he explained. “So instead, I didst form a jig in order that they be a-lookin’ tidy an’ uniform in they appearance.”
post-675-0-85538700-1427713365_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-25753200-1427713369_thumb.jpg

In truth, these not be the actual rope loops that Our Hero were to finally use.
“These be the first batch,” he didst go on. “I be a-binning them, as they were to prove too small in stature.”

Verily, a loop length o’ 3cm didst prove-eth to be most pleasing.

After a-fixin’ his ropes, thence cutting them out, re-doing and re-fittin’ them, CaptainSteve didst take a few close-ups.

“These be for the Horde,” he spouted. “For I doth know-eth that you lot doest thrive upon pictures.”
post-675-0-59082800-1427713371_thumb.jpg

Finally !!! A photo where ye can be seeing me oar-grooves !!

post-675-0-33280600-1427713374_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgotteth to mention that I didst add-eth me anchor ...

post-675-0-55375900-1427713376_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

And so, wi’ his sails now lashed using Chuck’s ropes, and the newly installed rigging works, it doest thus becometh necessary to re-apply some o’ the bird poopin’s.

“I shall also be a-touchin’-up me parrels with a little dry-brushin’,” he were to mention, “They just be too shiny fer me liking.”

Now, so very, very close to bein’ done wi’ his Launch, CaptainSteve didst haveth this to say …
“But a-forehand, there be the matter o’ a little surprise I didst promise ye”, he were to mention.

For Our Hero were to be lookin’ at his boat just the other day, and were to be somewhat displeased wi’ the fall o’ the sail cloth.

“Thusly, I didst settle upon-eth an idea,” he stated, somewhat ominously. “This ‘ere test upon a spare piece o’ raw sail-cloth may giveth you some idea o’ what I be thinkin’.”

post-675-0-71612900-1427713670_thumb.jpg

"I were to liberally paint some Fray-Check onto the test-piece, and thereupon didst tie-eth it to me pedestal fan," he said.

Thence, Our Hero did turn the fan on, and head out the door to his local for a pint and a counter lunch. Upon his return, the test-piece were to be lookin' like this ...

post-675-0-08809500-1427713674_thumb.jpg

For, verily, Our Hero hath decided that he doth prefer the look o’ billowing sails …
post-675-0-31579900-1427713676_thumb.jpg

“And, so,” he were to close, “here be me boat as she doth stand currently.”
post-675-0-04565100-1427717521_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-24041800-1427719079_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Lookin' good, Cap'n!  "Mo betta" with billowing sails. Alas, now you need to get cracking to populate the launch.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Excellent !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Very impressive CaptainSteve, very impressive indeed! Now that your sails be blowin in the wind, shall your rigging be blowing as well?

Thanks, Guys.

Very impressive CaptainSteve, very impressive indeed! Now that your sails be blowin in the wind, shall your rigging be blowing as well?

Nay, Matt. Me rigging is tied and glued most securely. There'll be no foot-loose sails upon this 'ere boat, I can assure ye !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Very nice there Captain! I agree with the "Squirrely One". Ingenious sail former you've come up with. Those oar grooves give her that added look of realism also. Well done!

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild