Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Hey I sent you a link and ...

Matt, thanks for those. Very informative, indeed-eth !!

Some twenty minutes of reading later, and I'm left with the distinct conclusion that a loop of parrels shall be required for each mast.

No matter, I'm guessin' they'll be a lot easier to make than the 1:60 and 1:93 scale ones on earlier builds.

(As for yours being "jacked", just remember that mine is "creative", to say the very least !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Disclosure: I cannot be held liable for statements that are most likely out in left field.

After I went back over some items I learned about this build, I remembered about the simplicity of this particular boats rigging. As this image shows (randomly grabbed from Google images), the use of a mast ring/partner seems unlikely. The entire spar would only be at half mast(at the red arrow) since this is the highest point it could be raised to.

post-17116-0-37182100-1425985148.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Food for thought, Matt.

Soooo ... 

If I'm reading your picture (and Sheet 5) correctly, then essentially, the only actual connection between mast and spar is the lift rope/line running through the upper block (??).

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

It seems that way. All I can think of is that the connection through the block and spar needs to be beefed up somehow. I saw a couple of pics, when I find them I'll post them for your keen eyes to ponder over.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Here CaptainSteve and everyone else, take a looksee, you might go to the site for more info. This is the modern day version.

post-17116-0-63349900-1425999911_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-27157300-1425999931_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-17489000-1425999964_thumb.jpg

This past seven-day, Our Hero hath been contemplating deeply upon the matter o’ his rigging. With his much-publicized lack of actual sailing knowledge, Our Hero were to cast his net far and wide in his quest to learn more on this matter.

Much were to be learned from the Squirrel Whisperer, and further information were to be gleaned from the build log of the One known throughout the Seven Seas as Meredith.
“These pictures 'ere, 'ere and ‘ere (also, 'ere) be most goodly,” CaptainSteve didst espouse, most gratefully.

Verily, CaptainSteve doest wish to showeth the rudimentaries o’ sailing. A further issue, as discussed previously, will be the servin’ o’ all lines.
post-675-0-89738700-1426349186_thumb.jpg

“Fer example, I doest intend to include bunt-lines to raiseth the foot o’ me sail,” he were to begin-eth, “to show-eth off the internal details that little bit better.”
Blocks for the lifts were seized and added, together with a loop-and-peg arrangement for the stays …
post-675-0-09059900-1426349198_thumb.jpg

At first, Our Hero didst installeth a double block in the middle o’ each spar for the bunt-lines. But then, CaptainSteve didst confesseth, “I be not liking them !!”

And, thus, in a fit of pique, he didst taketh up his knife and removeth them.

“I didst decideth that single blocks be better, fer the lines should runneth vertically up ‘n’ down,” he were to summarize.
One area which didst causeth Our Hero a great deal of consternation wouldst be the matter o’ a-fixing’ the spars to the masts.

Whilst many didst chooseth a more simplified system, this wouldst be too, err, simplified for CaptainSteve.
“I tooketh more o’ the beads used for grommets and pommels,” he began to finish, “and didst create-eth me own parrels.”
post-675-0-75805400-1426349195_thumb.jpg

And, thusly, with all lines attached and served, CaptainSteve doth be readied to begin-eth the masting …
post-675-0-21084400-1426349190_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-49185000-1426349192_thumb.jpg

Noteth it has not escaped Our Hero's attention that a touch-up may be most needed with the bird poop ...

Stay tuned.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Glad to see you feeling better and back in the old shipyard there Captain. Good job sorting out the sling and parrels. 

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

As to the lathe, patience young Padawan ... it be not going anywhere.

I hope you break that lathe out soon. I got a little dough to spend and I think a lathe might be the thing. Need some hands-on, first person experience with this Proxxon jewel.

Just back from a visit to CaptainAndrew's, whereupon many, many BBQ'd chicken wings (marinated in a subtle, yet powerful, chilli sauce) were consumed by one and all. Oh, and I took my new Proxxon lathe along, so I could take it for a test spin.

Once the matter o' the chicken wings were to be dealt with, we didst cracketh the box to find everything was pre-assembled (a great relief) and ready to go, pretty much straight from the box.

I had never used a lathe before, but found it remarkably easy to learn using the chisels (bought separately). I was quickly scribing all sorts of ruts and grooves. Although I am yet to turn out any barrels, I'm sure it will not take more than an afternoon to do so.

At one point, I did attempt to stop the lathe from spinning by applying additional force with the chisel. I didn't want to burn-out my new toy, so this was only done the one time, briefly, to test something I had read in an online review. 

Certainly, it is possible. But this lathe be not intended for machining large pieces, requiring excessive force.

Indeed, in my limited experience, I feel the DB250 will be just ideal for my own modelling purposes. Once I get a handle on using it, I am confident that it will be perfect for tapering masts and spars, turning my own belaying pins, or stanchions, or cannons ... barrels ... oar handles.

[THIS HAS BEEN A NON-PAID POLITICAL ADVERTISEMENT FROM THE PROXXON POLITICAL PARTY]

:cheers:  

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I prefer "BBQ'd chicken wings" non-political party

With beer

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I prefer "BBQ'd chicken wings" non-political party

With beer

Indeed, they were delicious, Nenad ...  and there most definitely was beer !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ahhhh, finally!! Now you can see the hype about dangers was just that, hype. One cool thing I've done(on a Malaysian mahogany mini grandfather clock) was to add identical decorative half columns.(turn to desired look and cut in half) This would work well for doors, windows, etc. I can't wait to see what you make with it!

Hi Steve,

Wow, I just found your build log, all I can say is your attention to detail is amazing....the wood treatments, and other details like the anchor, rudder, coconuts....as well as the incredible "colouration" you did on the sails (not to mention the amazing display stand).

Logs like yours really help beginners like myself.....gives me inspiration to try and raise the bar.

Thanks for taking the time to maintain it.

Boyd

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

... to try and raise the bar.

Thanks, Boyd. Feel free to raise that bar ... and throw it completely overboard !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

In the real world this weekend, CaptainSteve didst have to work. Thus he were late to the modelling table. However, once there, the first order of business were to be the replacement o’ the back-stays.

“During the past week,” Our Hero began, by way of explanation, “I didst taketh up me knife and didst removeth the stays put in las’ weekend,” he continued.

They had to be a-going, as CaptainSteve were most unhappy wi’ the size of the ropes he didst use-eth for these.

post-675-0-73824000-1426958823_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-21818700-1426958827_thumb.jpg

“Ne’er fear, I didst purchase a goodly supply of varying sizes from the Syren Ship Co,” he didst state.
post-675-0-80754700-1426958829_thumb.jpg

“They now be replaced, and doth now appear-eth in this manner …”    
post-675-0-23456900-1426958832_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-31223300-1426958834_thumb.jpg

As Our Hero didst happenstance to mention, he hath chosen to attach-eth his spars using parrels …
post-675-0-02312700-1426958840_thumb.jpg

“Here be me boat as she doth stand this eve,” yawned CaptainSteve. “The riggin’ lines still need-eth tying off … but it be late (or early) and I shalt be a-getting to them on the morrow."
post-675-0-47866900-1426958837_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice job on the parrels and the switching of the ropes there Captain! Chuck does make some beautiful rope doesn't he?

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Nice job on the parrels and the switching of the ropes there Captain! Chuck does make some beautiful rope doesn't he?

Cheers :cheers:

Thanks, George. Yeah, the Syren ropes are far better than the kit-supplied stuff. I had to swap out the back-stays because I had used too thin a line the first time. With a slightly thicker line, the rope appearance is much more visible. 

Oh, an' as I did wish to show off the contrast of colours, the back-stays were served and then "wormed" about one-third the way along their length.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I noticed the worming and was wondering if you used a serving machine to assist. I'll be doing the same when I do my shrouds to avoid the lumpy look of regular served lines. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Whilst I see Alexey Domanoff has a couple of very nice serving machines on offer (which I have been considering), I'm yet to purchase one, George. 

Thusly, all of the seizin's, servin's, and wormin's done here (there be no parcellin's) were made by wrapping each line individually, by hand. I do have meself one o' them Third Hand (also known as "Helping Hand") arrangements.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I've been considering Alexy's serving machine myself. Just got Jim's Ropewalk yesterday and have been studying the learning curve for that. Seems pretty straight forward.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thanks, Bob ...

Unfortunately, my camera doesn't take pictures as well as yours does.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

:dancetl6:

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Sails look even better hanging! But the poo may drip on the thwarts so I hope you're providing antibacterial wipes!

Most verily, CaptainSteve doest not get to spend-eth much time a-modellin’ throughout the week …

“At best, I be casting a most critical eye o’er work done thus far,” he didst begineth. “And, on occasion, I has been known to take-eth up me knife and remove-eth that which doth displease-eth me.”

However, with this build (finally) reaching its’ end-game, over these last few days Our Hero didst findeth a few minutes to work on a-fashioning his boat’s rigging lines.

"I didst use-eth the kit supplied belaying pins," he were to offer. "Here they be a-soakin' in vinegar to weather 'em a little." 

post-675-0-12935800-1427287674_thumb.jpg

Now, many o’ ye may-est be aware that CaptainSteve be not in truth the Old Salt what ‘is name doth suggest.
“As such,” he didst plead-eth, “I wouldst be most grateful for any comments and suggestions regarding the following series o’ pictures.”

“Well, here they be …”

post-675-0-71629300-1427287677_thumb.jpg

"I do-est wish to give-eth a sense o' the working rigging," Our Hero were to drone on. "Further, adding bunt-lines didst help-eth to gi' me sails a billowed look."

post-675-0-22180700-1427287680_thumb.jpg

Note: Despite the way they look 'ere, there be no lines attached to the tholes.

post-675-0-79948200-1427287682_thumb.jpg

By way of explanation, Our Hero forgot to mention that these lines (wi’ the exception o’ the back-stays) can be untied and moved, if the Horde doest think it necessary.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

And since I be explainin' things, I really should briefly mention the lines that I didst be using  .... 

Each sail doth have:

(i) a tack line (at foot)

(ii) a clew line (also at the foot of the sail)

(iii) a lift (running through upper block on each mast)

(iv) two bunt-lines (running through blocks attached to the spars)

These are in addition to a pair of back-stays for each mast. This gives a total of 14 lines to be tied off, with the kit supplying 20 belaying pins.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I wish I could help you with sorting out your lines, but that's a trick this old dog has still to learn. Arf!

You might try sending a pm to avsjerome2003 (aka Crackers). He sails an open boat and may know everything you're wanting to figure out.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks, Guys ....
Well, in lieu of actual sailing knowledge, Our Hero didst try to always consider two points:

Firstly, he didst wish-eth to raise the foot o' his sails a tad to better show-eth off the various detail items (oars, spears, tool-chest, mangoes, hairy coconuts, cutlasses, rope coils  ....) that be to come.

And, secondly, he didst doeth his very best to ensure that lines did not cross o'er each other.

"At this late stage o' the build," CaptainSteve were heard to complain, "I shall not-eth be adding the bow-sprit to this boat."

But, were Our Hero ever to consider a re-build ...

("Not gunna happen !!!", didst he assert, most forcefully.)

... but WERE it to be a-happening, or if ye be a-wishing to give yer own Launch a more "proud" look, then CaptainSteve wouldst, most verily, recommend-eth the adding o' a sprit ...

"Runneth the fore-sail clew-line out to ye 'sprit," he didst postulate. "And yer sails shall be a-standing better, me-thinks !!"

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hmm.. if doesn't have an outboard motor, I'm no help on these rascals.  Looks good however.  If you want the sails to billow... brush them with some starch (the kind one uses with an iron to iron and starch shirts but not shorts).  Then hang them such so they billow or use a small fan until dry.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)