Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Photography, Modelling

Recent Profile Visitors

462 profile views
  1. Update to the above: I measured some left over planking I had for both the inner and outer layer. Both were 31.5" long. If yours was only 20" I'd definitely contact Amati.
  2. I didn't have that problem with either the first or second layer, that's quite surprising. My kit is also from Amati and both layers had plenty of both woods and planks at the needed length supplied with the kit. I'd start by contacting Amati. My kit was short starboard side copper plating for some reason. I contacted Amati and now have enough to also do another ship. It took them a while to respond, but they did by sending the copper in original packaging.
  3. FA 1816

    Thank you
  4. Fair American

    I built this ship with the goal of "painting with wood." There isn't a drop of paint on it. Woods used include Boxwood, Cherry, Ash, Pear, Walnut, Redheart, and Ebony. There once was a detailed build log here, but it was lost along with my detailed log on Pegasus when the site crashed several years ago
  5. Pegasus 6415

    Thanks for the comment. I worked very hard to make this ship as accurate as possible. While the kit came with copper plates, I didn't care for the look. It is likely according to my research it started with "white stuff" on the hull and was coppered a few years after commissioning - plus it looks so much better. Even the rigging has my best attempt at the right knots. I added lines that weren't on the plans based on research I did. While the sails aren't on it, the ropes that they would be attached to are.
  6. FA 1809

    Thanks for the comment. I'm particularily proud of this model, there is not a drop of paint on it anywhere. The colors were all achieved by variations in high quality lumber choices. There are eight different woods used; cherry, boxwood, ebony, walnut, basswood, redheart, holly, and pear. Much more precision required when you don't have paint or wood filler to cover mistakes, it and Pegasus are my best work.
  7. FA 1816

    First, apologies for the dusty photos. The model was completed in 2009 and had been included as a build log in MSW 1.0. I should have dusted it off better before taking the photos for this gallery. This is the Lauck Street Shipyards Fair American. There is no paint anywhere on the model. It is made from cherry, boxwood, ebony, walnut, swiss pear, holly, and rosewood and finished only with wipe-on poly along with unpainted brass and metal fittings. I wanted to challenge myself at the time to "paint with wood." The wood mostly came with the kit, but it and the supplemental wood I used (like ebony for the wale and rosewood in the cabin pattern all came from Jeff at Hobbymill. The hand sanding on this model probably had some part to play in the shoulder surgery that sidelined me for a long while:-)
  8. Fair American by Glenn

    I built this ship in 2009 and am reposting the completed ship here in the gallery. There is not a drop of paint anywhere on this model. It is made from cherry, walnut, holly, rosewood, boxwood, and ebony.
  9. Pegasus 6351 4

    I should point out I completed this model in 2010, my last work. I had a very detailed and log build log on MSW that was lost along with the rest. While I still have the build photos, along with more of the completed model, I didn't keep a copy of the text that went with it. I appreciate the feedback on the completed model, it will serve as motivation to get me started again on the Vanguard that has long been sitting in my closet.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model shipcraft.

The Nautical Research Guild puts on ship modeling seminars, yearly conferences, and juried competitions. We publish books on ship modeling techniques as well as our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, whose pages are full of articles by master ship modelers who show you how they build those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you what details to build.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research