Berbice 1780 by Shiphile - Shipyard - 1:72 - CARD - Baltimore clipper

This is my current card build, Berbice a Baltimore Clipper.  The kit is a box set of laser cut parts, hardware, wood dowels, paint and sails.  Copper tape is also included with the kit.  This will make my 2nd laser cut kit I have built.  The main deference between this and a normal card kit is.....the parts are all laser cut for you and you paint to add the color.  Normal card kits are in a printed format requiring cutting and assembly.  Each type requires a different approach, yet they also assemble in like manner.  I have seen card models that looked like the were in a museum.  So it is another medium to work within, the ship builder's realm.  I am also working on another project, so up dates will happen albeit slow.

Rick

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

Howdy Mr Fright and Richie G.

Glad to have ya aboard.  Card models are one of if not the oldest form of modeling.

A Egyptian model boat was discovered made from papyrus.....the great great grand daddy of paper!

Card modeling is very close to working in wood, pretty much same tools and glue.

Just card requires a little fenece.

I will always build period wood vessels, but also like to work with card.  Picked this style building from card and paper while stationed w/ US Army in the FRG.

Again, hope you enjoy, and there are other great card builds on the Forum as well.

Cheers Rick

IMG_1964.JPG

The only thing about the kit, is I would reca0end not applying the copper tape. A US/Colonial ship of that period, was unlikely to be coppered. The British were just starting to copper their warships about this time (1780). Coppering was very expensive, and experimental at this stage. A private builder was unlikely to be using it.

I will be following this build. I love the Baltimore Clipper type ships!

2 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

The only thing about the kit, is I would reca0end not applying the copper tape. A US/Colonial ship of that period, was unlikely to be coppered. The British were just starting to copper their warships about this time (1780). Coppering was very expensive, and experimental at this stage. A private builder was unlikely to be using it.

Thank you sir.  I struggled with this very idea.  Searching for reference on if copper sheathing was period correct, came to same conclusion, not for this time frame of vessel.  Painted bottom she will get.  You have validated what I wanted to know.

Thank you thibaultron.

Cheers Rick

22 hours ago, thibaultron said:

After much searching, and following your advice about correcting the scheme as give by Shipyard.  I found what I was wishing to know.  Here is the Berbice as modeled on display at the National Museum of History, USA.

This will be the colors used.  Shipyard got the hull and hardware very close.

Thanks for sending me in the search for period corrections.

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

Nice to see you back and posting again Rick - it's been too long my friend!  I'll follow along from here too.

Hello Rick,

Welcome back friend.  

That is a nice model you got going here.  Found myself a seat next to Grant, so I will follow along.

Now all we need is Sjors's popcorn and Mark's beverages.

Enjoy and have fun.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Here you are.....

Nice papership you've got there :D

I will also follow this journey !

And I see that Anja is also here so you can see at her signature that she is also building again.

It goes slow but it is going ......

And I will place the popcorn machine !

Sjors

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

Now all we need is Sjors's popcorn and Mark's beverages.

Well, I just pulled up a comfy chair, Sjors please pass the popcorn, all we need now is the beverage from Mark. I am getting a little tired of my coffee.........:dancetl6:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic! I've been thinking about attempting one of these kits as you said for something different. So it'll be good to see the quality of the parts and how they come together.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

10 hours ago, Tallshiptragic said:

Fantastic! I've been thinking about attempting one of these kits as you said for something different. So it'll be good to see the quality of the parts and how they come together.

Great to have peaked your interest.  The complete laser cut kits are pricey, yes.

But the moment you open the box, inspect the contents....the sticker shocks fades.

These are not that difficult to build, but do require a thorough study of all assembly diagrams and instructions.  These are Polish made, and even though the English is good, still study the instructions and follow them religiously.  One word of caution, I really do not like the paint they now package.  Older kits came with tube gouache, think I spelled that right.  The tube paint seemed to spread smoother.

Both paints are water based.  Check out one of the smaller kits such as this one before jumping at one like the Mercury.

Rick

Thanks Rick, that's good info. I've been contemplating the cutter kit which in 1/72 is also laser cut.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

• 1 month later...

Howdy y'all...sorry for not posting on this project.  Promise is still in que for building.

But I have been working on another project.  Yes another !!!!!!!!!!

I need intervention!

But this has been taking what little build time I have available.

Marine Model Company's Cutty Sark.

Rick

IMG_2277.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi Rick,

I'm finally on board watching your build. Glad to see the posts about the Berbice's color scheme. I got myself the 1/96-scale version with quay port, so I could do a simple photo review. It's a neat kit, but of course the pre-printed parts show a black and white color scheme and coppered hull. When I get to it, I'd like to build it with the color scheme of the Smithsonian model, but that will be something of a challenge, as I might have to re-make the printed parts, or figure out a way to score the planking outlines and paint over it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hi Rick,

I will pull up a chair also. Good to see more card models popping up here. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• The title was changed to Berbice 1780 by Shiphile - Shipyard - 1:72 - CARD - Baltimore clipper