Washington 1776 by Eddie - Scale 1:48 - NRG - POF - Continental Galley

Hey howya goin all, this will be my forth build log of a ship.    :bird-vi:

I bought these plan from NRG's website <--- Click here, I got this to help support the site and give me my first try at scratch building. It is a good first scratch build ship to cut your teeth on, I do recommend it, it's not to expensive aswell, you get 10 sheets of plans with all the frames already worked out for you, you can download the timber list and a monograph on how to build her.

I will be building this ship just after I start my longboats, one thing good about getting this from NRG is the timber list is already done for you, all I have to do is decide what kind of timber I want to use and I've been thinking about this alot, Iv'e decided to use Castello Boxwood for most of it, and ebony wales and railing, don't know yet what to use for the decking maybe holly.

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS just a few things you will find in the monograph
Figure 1 - Building Board 9                                           Figure 2 - Keel Construction 10                              Figure 3 - Finishing the Keel 10   
Figure 4 - Bow Construction 10                                   Figure 5 - Stern Construction                                  Figure 6 - Placing Keel on Building Board 11
Figure 7 - Alignment Fixture at Bow 11                       Figure 8 - Square Frame Detail 12                          Figure 9 - Placement of Midship Frame 12
Figure 10 - Frame Alignment Procedure 12                 Figure 11 - Frame Construction Detail 13               Figure 12 - Aft Frame Bevel Detail 13
Figure 13 - Square Half Frames at Bow 14                  Figure 14 - Square Half Frames at Stern 14           Figure 15 - Installation of Gun Deck Transom 14
Figure 16 - Installation of Cant Frames 15                  Figure 17 - Installation of Counter Timbers 15        Figure 18 - Installation of Transom Beam 15
Figure 19 - Installation of Quarter Deck Transom       Figure 20 - Stern Transom Completed                    Figure 21 - Bow Cant Frame Installation 17
                  and Filling Pieces 16
Figure 22 - Hawse Piece Installation 17                      Figure 23 - Bow Completed 17                               Figure 24 - Keelson at Bow 18
Figure 25 - Keelson at Stern 18                                   Figure 26 - Keelson at Midship 18                           Figure 27 - Hull Framing and Deck Clamps 19
Figure 28 - Main Mast Step Installation 19                  Figure 29 - Mast and Capstan Step Locations 20    Figure 30 - Limber Passage at Midship 20
Figure 31 - Limber Strake and Board                           Figure 32 - Limber Strake and Board                      Figure 33 - Thickstuff and Planking at Midship 22 
                  Installation 21                                                              Installation at Stern 22          
Figure 34 - Thickstuff and Planking                             Figure 35 - Breasthook Installation 23                    Figure 36 - Crutch and Riding Bitt Installation 24         
                  Installation 23
Figure 37 - Elevation of Platform at Midship 24          Figure 38 - Platform Installation 25                         Figure 39 - Well Assembly 26
Figure 40 - Well Installation 26                                   Figure 41 - Shot Locker Assembly and
                                                                                                      Installation 27
Figure 42 - Stove Assembly 27                                    Figure 43 - Stove Assembly and Installation 28       Figure 44 - Hold Components Completed 28  
Figure 45 - Gun Deck 29                                             Figure 46 - Deck Beam 29                                        Figure 47 - Gun Deck at Well Location 30

INTRODUCTION

The Continental Galley Washington was a lateen-rigged, two-masted row galley built in the autumn of 1776 on Lake Champlain at Skenesboro N.Y. On October 6 1776, she joined the small fleet established and commanded by Brigadier General Benedict Arnold. The fleet consisted of schooners Royal Savage, Revenge and Liberty. Also the sloop Enterprise, and 8 gundalows outfitted as gunboats: New Haven, Providence, Boston, Spitfire, Philadelphia, Connecticut, Jersey, New York, and the cutter Lee. Washington was among three row galleys built, the others being the Congress and Trumbull. During the Battle Arnold commanded the fleet from the galley Congress.

A couple of pics of the plans.

590f14bca65e9_ContinentalGalleyWashington001.thumb.jpg.bdc34e653cb6666b9051646fb57b8fdf.jpg

590f14c7326ff_ContinentalGalleyWashington002.thumb.jpg.44f3cea07708f3d23b850f7b676711e4.jpg

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Oh I forgot to add this, I've already download the monograph printed it a had it bound into a book.   :bird-vi:

Here a couple of pics.

590f27eaaf7bc_GalleyWashington003.thumb.JPG.463a13f642cdd57ea1053b6325491204.JPG

590f27ef030e9_GalleyWashington004.thumb.JPG.5fe5564a63b2603f447d38c9588fd84d.JPG

590f27f1ebcf2_GalleyWashington005.thumb.JPG.7855e78af2ed3c071fa613c0eddbc134.JPG

590f27f4b0f48_GalleyWashington006.thumb.JPG.ddb34fc096aff107a7d00f136db70a51.JPG

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hey howya goin Steve mate, thanks for joining this one too mate. NRG make this easy for first timer scratch builder.   :bird-vi:

Hey howya goin Michael mate, nice to have you along too mate. It will be about two months to three months before I start her.  The timber takes about 20 business days to cut, about two weeks to get to Australia and I think about two weeks to clear customs if I remember right from someone telling me. :bird-vi:

Wow! Those plans are something else! Be here too, can´t wait to see her coming alive!

56 minutes ago, Vivian Galad said:

can´t wait to see her coming alive!

Hey how ya goin Vivian mate, yeah I can't wait to Vivian I just want to start to build her but no money for timber or a scroll saw yet but soon very very soon thanks Vivian mate.   :bird-vi:

So glad to see another build log for this model started.  Just shipped plan set #89 out last week so there are a lot waiting to get started.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

3 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Just shipped plan set #89 out last week

Hey howya goin Kurt mate, yeah I got plan set #81 so thats 8 more people that got theres plans too since I got mine.   :bird-vi:

Hi Eddie,

First time Scratchbuild eh? She looks a bit easier than my first one - 16 gun HMS Vulture :) . Nowhere near the amount of masting and rigging :) .

The only difficulty I foresee is the very bluff bow - it'll takes some serious bending to get the planks around. I'd strongly advise AGAINST using Ebony for the Wales - I used it on mine and it was a real pain to work with, dirty as hell to sand and it's VERY difficult to bend even around Vulture's sharper bow. I doubt I'll ever use it again, a better solution is to simply stain whatever timber you finish up getting. Staining MUST be done before fitting the planks though, a bit of minor touchup after fitting them is OK.

Ironically, my Vulture was the ship that Benedict Arnold fled capture on when he turned "traitor" :D .

Have fun with this build, I'll tag along. BTW - who are you getting your timber from?

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hey howya goin Danny mate, yeah I know how hard Ebony is, I'll steam bend it, I do like a challenge, I'll have to make a new steamer set up my last steamer I left were I uses to work many many years ago.    :bird-vi:

4 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

First time Scratchbuild eh? She looks a bit easier than my first one - 16 gun HMS Vulture

Yeah I remember when you started that one, I was new to MSW forums, I asked you if you wouldn't mind me making the same one as I could follow your build as a guide for mine, but I never ended up make it. All these years and I still haven't scratch build a ship, I picked these scratch build ship because I didn't want to do any research on it, I just love to build. I was going to scratch build the Rattlesnake by Harold M. Hahn for my first one, there was these rooms on the plans I didnt know what they looked like I ask if anyone new any reference books on building her got not answer so I shelved the plans for now.

4 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

who are you getting your timber from?

I was think of getting it from Crown Timber in the US, The Ebony I don't know yet. 

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was think of getting it from Crown Timber in the US, The Ebony I don't know yet.

Yeah, Crown Timber are about the best around now. I got some timber off them a while ago, good stuff and didn't take long to arrive.

I'll have a look if I have any Ebony left - should have a couple of sheets if you really want to go down that road. I still advise against it, but you're welcome to them as long as you pay the freight (shouldn't be much).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Yeah I'll pay for freight and if you want I'll pay you for the timber to thanks mate.   :bird-vi:

Hey howya goin all, I did these awhile back when I got my plans from NRG.   :bird-vi:

I had the plan of the frames copyed, then cut them up then scanned and printed out on ladeling paper.

5910503290c27_GalleyWashington007.thumb.JPG.5d532903e6821a13b8b3769bae61d729.JPG

Ones cut from the copyed plans.

591050aeabc83_GalleyWashington008.thumb.JPG.bc61be0d5153bab53cd76bdf616cb2ed.JPG

Ones scan to the ladeling paper.

591050b408216_GalleyWashington009.thumb.JPG.9611c82ac02a405bd1dd029c6db2e111.JPG

This last pic you can see the scans on the ladeling paper I pulled one corner off so you can see it's sticky on one side that way after I glue the frames together I can easily stick it down to them and run them through a scroll saw. I also have another copy to stick to the sheet of wood to cut them out of.

591050b6d5490_GalleyWashington010.thumb.JPG.b2e91d1fcc87a8725f14f4d9424b2133.JPG

Hey howya goin Foultide mate, thanks, I haven't order mine yet will be soon, just working out more timber for my other builds then I'll order them together from Crown Timber aswell.    :bird-vi:

11 hours ago, JosephHuntley said:

How long is the Hull at that scale?

Hey howya goin Joseph mate, grats on getting the plans, the hull is about 510mm give or take a bit.    :bird-vi:

Joseph thanks mate for the info.    :bird-vi:

Hey howya goin Al mate, thanks for sitting in on this one mate. Alot of poeple are getting these plans now and some have had these plans sitting on there selves for along time.    :bird-vi:

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hey howya goin Al mate, thanks for sitting in on this one mate. Alot of poeple are getting these plans now and some have had these plans sitting on there selves for along time.    :bird-vi:

I'm doing pretty well. I've been away from the workbench because of family issues but I'm starting to get back to it now. I still need to build my skill before I tackle the Washington though.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Al mate, it's like building the HMS Triton Cross Section, the Washington will be easy for you just follow the plans and ask any question on the forum, I have faith in you Al mate.    :bird-vi:

I have to agree with you Joseph mate.   :bird-vi:

Good luck Joseph mate.   :bird-vi:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Washington 1776 by Eddie - Scale 1:48 - NRG - POF - Continental Galley