Sign in to follow this  
Anguirel

Jet or Dewalt scroll saw

Hi All,

I’m on the market for a scroll saw. My inclination was for a Excalibur but they are no longer available. My question to you fine gentlemans is: is the new Jet scroll saw (http://www.jettools.com/us/en/new-products-and-offers/new-products/scroll-saw/) worth the extra $500?in the last toon to the Dewalt (http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/saws/scroll-saws/20-variablespeed-scroll-saw/dw788). Christmas is coming so now is the perfect time to convince the Admiral that I need another machine...

Thanks in advance

Edited by Anguirel
donrobinson and tasmanian like this

I don’t see how there could be $500 worth of difference between these two saws. Personally I would get the Dewalt and use the $500 towards a Mini Milling machine. You could explain to the Admiral how you saved money by getting two pieces of equipment for the price of one.

mtaylor, donrobinson and tasmanian like this

Interesting.  I've had my Hegner Multicut 2 since December 1981, and I've had a fair bit of use from it.  Works well, but the darn thing vibrates like mad!  Even when it's screwed firmly down to the workbench I swear I can feel my workshop jumping up and down while I use it.  Every now and then I get the urge to sell it off on Ebay, and replace it with something that might be easier to use.
I looked at the DeWalt 788.  It's not a recent model - I've seen online references to it dating back to 2007, and frankly the reviews are only average.  Around 3 stars.  But it's not marketed in the UK, and if I were to buy one from the USA it'd probably cost me around $770.  So, no thank you.
I couldn't find the Jet JWSS-22B for sale here either.  Importing one would cost over $1000, so not even worth thinking about, for me.  However, Axminster do sell the smaller Jet JSS-16A here, for £123 (say $160).  The smaller size would suit me, but a lot of quality seems so have been sacrificed in order to make it at the low price.

But it seems vibration, in one degree or another, is inherent in any scroll saw.  Can anyone recommend a model where this problem has been overcome?  Or at least minimised?

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

I've used an almost vibration-free DeWalt 778 successfully for 15 years. (Sorry, Brian!) I'm very happy with its performance. It is a variable speed machine. It's not clear whether the Jet offers this very useful feature. Foe instance, one can cut acrylic successfully at very slow speed without melting the plastic to the blade.

Canute, donrobinson and mtaylor like this

I can't get the DeWalt, neither can I get the Jet here, so I am looking at two prospective machines:

Pégas SCP21CE (Swiss)

Hegner Multicut MC2se (German)

donrobinson, Canute and trippwj like this

I also use a Hegner, free of vibration...

It excels at cutting thick hardwood up to 1 inch in straight line and at exactly 90 degrees.

It is also very good at cutting very thin slices of wood few millimeters thick.

For jobs thinner than 3/32, it does a similar job as a less expensive saw.

Canute, donrobinson, cog and 1 other like this

In the USA, the DeWalt 778 has an excellent reputation.  It is the choice of the scrollsaw artist Steve Garrison

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYhLxb3n4JeuZrrgejr8cWw

To minimize vibration, I placed my cheapo Ryobi on vibration dampeners made by sandwiching a layer of cork between two layers of carpet padding. 

druxey, Canute, donrobinson and 2 others like this

Brian; when i first mounted my Hegner on a bench there was vibration. I added a 2x4 (vertically) under the bench directly below the Heg.  No more vibration.  When I had a shop with more space I had it on a Hegner base and it was awesome.....Milo/Allan 

cog, Canute and mtaylor like this