Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

OK, so once you add the training tackle these will be in the running at sea position rather than run out for action?  Therefore the gun ports shall be closed?  Just trying to get a picture of this.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking sweet, Sam.   They may not have had lids but bucklers... then again, the ports on the exposed decks wouldn't have needed them....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Sam.  I just keep on learning new things here.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Mark, bucklers?

Sam,

Bucklers....  they look like a lid there's no hinges as they are not hung.  They get put into the port and secured.  My current build has no lids but they used bucklers.  Usually any the weather decks didn't have lids as there was no way to keep the water out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

A small update - aren't they all anymore??? :rolleyes:

I finally got a trundle head I am satisfied with; points centered, no major voids in the joints etc. Below is the progression of parts as I figured out what I wanted it to look like and how to do it as well as a closer shot. The close up shows that I missed slightly on placement, from a foot away its not noticeable though. I need to pick up a felt point for the dremmel and get some more finish rubbed out. 

I've also finished a rigging couple more carriages. I thought with work slowing down I would have more time to build but it hasn't been the case, all the little things that were put off over the last six months have to be taken care of.

post-326-0-16788900-1433610626_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-55344200-1433610668_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-17200600-1433610599_thumb.jpg

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

Definitely some misalignment on that capstan ... It will not turn properly, that's for certain ... those poor Jacks will be bracking their backs ... Could you point out where exactly that faillure in  your prowess is, please ...

Ah, you thought that what had been put off won't be needing attention ... mistake ... big ... no hughe ... work always gets in the way of leisure relaxation

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice to see your progress, Sam.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone - Slog, I haven't seen you around in a while, I hope all is well with you.

Augie, baby steps, but I will finish - one day.  ;)

Carl, you're right, that .00025" overhang has to go man! I think I will throw it in the incinerator and start all over........NO! :D

Sam

Edited by src

• 1 month later...

Wow, its been over a month already since my last update! Unfortunatly not much to show, All but two of the carriages are lashed, I have a few sets of rope to trim. The last two carriages are the forward chase guns that I plan on lashing sideways to cover up the holes in the deck left when I reinstalled the timberheads in the correct positions.

Which leads me to a question, looking at the picture below there are two sets of blocks, one on the bulwarks to the rear of the carraige and one forward. The set forward of the caraige appears esy, it looks to be that it hooks to the eyebolt for the training tackle, but what about the other? Where would that attach? There is nothing indicated on any of the drawings I have seen, is there some advanced Stealth Ringbolt I am not aware of??

I can add a ring (red dot in picture) in and nobody but us will ever know, its not like I am building some historicaly accurate museum piece here but it would be nice to know before I make my decision, thoughts anybody?

post-326-0-40440300-1437233740.jpg

Hey Sam,

What I know about stowing cannon you could put in my eye and I'd never feel it. However, to confuse you further, here are some diagrams from Charles G. Davis' "The Built-up Ship Model." The 4 pounders are from a Revolutionary War era craft. The other diagram I'm not sure of the date. Hope this helps.

Steve

post-7293-0-06347300-1437245294_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-18844000-1437245318_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

• 2 months later...

Steve,

Thanks for the drawings, I have saved them for future reference.

Wow, 2-1/2 months since my last post!!! Work has got to go. Or I need to win the lottery, one or the other.

There hasnt been a lot of free time to build recently but I havent been totally neglecting my Enterprise. For some time I have known that the barrels were just not going to work for me and new scratch built barrels were in order. I just didnt know how i would go about it. In the end I did what I always do and just dove in hoping to not make too many mistakes.

I wanted to make 48 staves at 7.5 degrees but I just couldnt make that work so I settled on 24 at 15 degrees (30 degree included angle) after cleaning up the saw kerf with a micro plane I glued them up into a roll about 6" long then chucked them up in my little wood lathe. 

I turned 4 more or less identical parts and then cut them off the main dowel. After that I had to figure out how to re-chuck each one and get them centered AND not destroy them in the process. We had some 1/2" ID tube at the shop, a length of that worked well to protect the surface from the jaws of the chuck. re centering them was easier than I thought it would be, just took some playing and adjusting. They were never perfect but close enough to cut out the ends for the covers.

I hollowed out the ends .060" deep and left about an .030" lip. Next time I will get some Stainless steel tubing that is the right OD and make a hole saw, then turn the waste after. Another tube that sleeves OVER the first will be used to make the covers. That will be much easier than the way I made my lids. File, file and more file until they fit. Live and learn.

I tried to make the bands out of black tape but just couldnt get it to stay till the glue set so I hammered some .019" brass wire flat and hard soldered some circles then epoxied them on after blackening.

All in all I am very pleased with how they came out

post-326-0-95309900-1444266966_thumb.jpg

4 more or less identical barrels

post-326-0-29825300-1444266968_thumb.jpg

Need some touch up but I like them

My anchors now, THAT was a comedy of errors that worked out in the end.

I started out planing on using the kit anchors, they just needed some clean up and paint. One of the rings was just a tad bent/warped so I thought " I'll just tweak it into place......Murphy being my constant companion gleefully rubbed his hands together and said "Watch this!!" Just a little bend....SNAP!!! grrrr! ow well Ill just epoxy it together. Whatever I did it didnt work, the epoxy wouldnt stick well, neither would CA. "I know! Ill soft solder it!!! That will work!" Nope, little blobs of white metal.... "OK Ill scratch one and use the other" While I was trying to copy one by laying it on a brass sheet and tracing it it would move. I tried a small clamp, not tight enough. Grabbed one of my sheet meta clamps, Too Tight!! Numerous fragments! Sigh. No matter what I did I couldnt copy the curve of the kit anchors correctly and consistently. Went looking through "Fully Framed" and came across some drawings of Andmiralty Anchors in 1:48.

Since I have no idea what size or shape anchors the Enterprise would have had I went by physical size, the drawing of a 3cwt 2qtr anchor was just a bit larger than the kit anchors so I based mine on those dimensions. Drawing straight lines and angles ended up working for me. I am very pleased with the results.

They need some blackening on the banding and touch up on the main parts but otherwise I like them very much. Tonight I will attempt puddening for the rings.

post-326-0-83800100-1444266934_thumb.jpg

White metal is...um...fragile... 

post-326-0-55457800-1444266936_thumb.jpg

I drew them the same I swear!!! 

post-326-0-52430000-1444266937_thumb.jpg

More better 

post-326-0-33577600-1444266939_thumb.jpg

And they match!!

post-326-0-34992600-1444266940_thumb.jpg

That is more like  it!! 

Sam

Edited by src

Well done, mate.  The 30 degrees was a good call.  Anchors and stocks are first rate .

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Brian,
Thank you. It was boxwood from hobby mill. I bought several planks a while back to make my masts out of since mine are warped from poor storage on my part. I just cut strips off at 15 degrees flipped the plank and cut a strip to make knife shaped planks. After cleaning up the saw kerf with a micro plane I glued them up. Other than picking the straightest and cleanest parts there want a whole lot of work in choosing. Jed's JEFFS material was always so nice that there wasn't a whole lot of picking through parts.
Sam

Edited by src

Nice work on the barrels and anchors, Sam.  Actually.. not "nice" but fantastic.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Makr, Carl, thank you and thank all of you for the likes also, it is very much appreciated.

Carl, SALTED BEEF?!?!?! Those barrels have only the finest Tequilla Anejo and single malt Scotch in them (no Laphroaig though, to me that stuff tastes like medicine. Peated Scotch just doesnt work for me)

A note for the future. I forgot to mention one of the errors in the Anchor Trials and Tribulations. If your going to use muratic acid to clean your parts, DONT soft solder them. I figured since the flukes of the anchors would not be under any stress I could cheat and use plummers solder instead of silver solder. It was faster, easier and cleaner. That is untill I plunked them in some dilute Muratic Acid, after 10-15 minutes I cam eback came back and my nicely soldered flukes were resting on the bottom of the dish!!! Thanks Murphy.

Sam

Edited by src

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo!! She looks different. The pictures below have the furniture resting in place to check alignment and fit of the brass dowels. Everything but the Main Bits, the chimney and two Haws Holes(?) on either side of the chimney are now glued down. I had to do some work to refit the ladders as they were splayed out due to the deck camber - forgot all about that as I built them. They are better now, still a small degree out of alignment but I can live with it, it's really not noticeable unless you sight down the hull.

Now. back to puddening my anchors..... for some reason that is really challenging me.

Sam

post-326-0-52054600-1445204830_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-19782600-1445204832_thumb.jpg

Really nice anchors.

Puddening, just wrap with one line, then add as much of the fancy stuff as you can on top of it (you'll want to do a stop lashing or wrap near the shank).  Nobody's going to be able to count strands.

Hawse holes are where the anchor cable comes inboard below the head timbers.

post-17589-0-21402600-1445273293.jpg

Puddening of the anchor ring

post-17589-0-36400900-1445273324.jpg

Hawse holes

Edited by jbshan

Thank you everybody for the likes and the encouragement.

Brian, that day is getting closer and closer. Getting excited as well as nervous since rigging is a whole new world.

Rich, thank you.I have some shoes to fill following along in you and Brian's foot steps.

J she certainly is, thank you.

jbshan, thank you. I thought I had the name wrong. what I was referring to was the two openings just behind the chimney, the instructions refer to them as "Open Chocks" I believe they would be the point that the actual anchor cable enters the hull for stowage. As far as the puddening, what you show and described is pretty much what I am attempting. "Fully Framed indicates the puddening would be 2-2.5"c rope. I have been using a 0.018"d rope from Chuck in a dark brown. What I am finding is I can only do a couple of wraps then I have to secure it with some thinned PVA and let it dry. I am assuming the stop lashing/seizing would be tared also, but I may use a lighter colored thread just to show off my hard work. We shall see.

Ok, its turning black outside and the dog wants his walk, I better take care of that before it dumps on us.

Sam

Edited by src

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sjors. good to hear from you again.

So, I have a dilemma. Constructo gave me a bunch of "stanchions" for the netting that I planned on using rather than building my own. I drilled the holes in the cap rails and set the first three in and started playing with string to see what would look ok and realized, @##&^@! the holes in the stanchions are WAY bigger than the rope. They scale out to over 3" and I figure a rope somewhere in the neighborhood of 1"dia would be about right.

I tried tying around the stanchions and am not sure about it. I am half toying with filling them in with solid rod but I dont know. I may end up putting it off for a bit and starting my bowsprit.

Anyway, enough b!tching, I am open to suggestions.

post-326-0-38936600-1446519708_thumb.jpg

Sam

How about filling in the oversized holes with something like JB Weld and then drilling a proper one?  You might then want to paint each stanchion.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I hadnt thought of JB weld, they need more blackening anyway. I picked up something called Brass Photoetch Burnishing from AK interactive. The LHS said it was a replacement for BLacken it.  Youre giving me an idea, maybe I can get some brass tube and solder it in then reblacken.

Sam