Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Thanks Carl and to all who hot the like button.

No Ratlines to show, had to run into the shop for a couple of hours today. I did get the last pair of Main Shrouds on and tied off all 8 lanyards. The tension on the lanyards loosened up on a couple, gonna let them sit over night or maybe just a couple of hours, I might be p@@@@ing in the wind but I hope it helps the lanyards settle in and I can retension them easily.

I dont recall if I mentioned it earlier but I placed the masts, channels and chain plates per the instructions and the forward most dead eye on both masts is forward of the mast by a couple of feet. I made the conscious decision to not redo the channels I felt I would have a huge mess to clean up - they were mortised in and reinforced with pins. I am not to concerned about it except I wont be able to rig catharpins, at least two would go right through the masts. Lessons for the next build.

Thats it for now, pictures when there is something to show.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

it won't be the first model without catharpins......back in my early days,  I never heard of them ;)   if you really want them......you can do them in an X pattern......of course,  you'd have to check to see if any nationality ever did that.   good bet that you'd be the first person on your block to do that ;)    looking good my friend :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everybody much appreciated.

Sjors, they will be well fed, well treated and much appreciated.

Dennis, Didnt know crossed was an option, I think for this build I am going to give it a pass. Every time something like this happens I am reminded of how much Ship Modeling is like playing Chess!!

RIch, you can never have enough clamps of any type.

Sam

crossed is not an option.......glad your not going to do it :)     I don't want to be known as the guy who steered a fellow com padre the wrong way.    for-going them is your best option ;) 

my apologies if my attempt at humor almost tripped you up. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Your back must still be bothering you then Carl.

And so it begins, my first ratlines are on. 2.5 hours to get tp this point! :o:D Need some adjustment still,  they are not secured yet, I want to get some practice first. The macro shots really show the variations I have.

ratlines-01.thumb.jpg.8976ef8365d9df83754bd99bb1e09e60.jpg

Not sure if I am going to try to fix the middle lanyard or not it means replacing the entire lanyard and the difference in the length of the seizing (frapping?) isnt as noticeable from a regular viewing distance.

ratlines-02.thumb.jpg.0295a6f6df40dbbb12e6d3f7e547c764.jpg

Onward!!

Sam

looking good Sam.......you can do a decent clove hitch........ ;)  .........I jes' do knots ;)    gotta learn too........I know.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

32 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

you can do a decent clove hitch........ ;)  .........

Thanks Dennis. Sometimes I can. about every 4th one I get all messed up and start tying I dont know what kind of knot. Its not a difficult knot, just with tweezers......

Rich! long time, how ya been?? Or as a new member likes to say, "How ya Going?"

Sam

Epsom salt showers Carl? I suppose you could fill a big bucket up with hot water and Epsom salts then pour it over your head. Not sure it will impart the intended effect though. Perhaps we could stretch you on a rack?  Hope your feeling better.

So far I have rattled the Port side and I am now on to the starboard side. I have not trimmed the Port lines yet, leaving myself some adjustment after I get more experience I may want to go back and do some additional work. Over all I am pleased with what I have done although that perfectionist part of me wants all the lines to have a consistent swag. They vary a bit, not the end of the world but my eye is drawn to things like that.

I am actually enjoying the experience so far, lets see how I feel after another couple of weeks. Fortunately I only have two small masts with 4 shrouds each to do, I suspect if there were more shrouds I might feel different.

Ok then, enough rambling, PICTURES!!

Shrouds-04.thumb.jpg.7afbc4c390f85d2b3bf7ec45607afe21.jpg

Shrouds-05.thumb.jpg.f65159e3f4d364ad92476348b32bf779.jpg

I need to find a better back drop than TFFM, they are great books but a little distracting for a backdrop. My beige walls however just swallow up the ratlines.

Sam

nice work on the ratlines Sam, I think some would agree tying them can be somewhat therapeutic, in a masochistic sort of way! :P:P 

( I too enjoy it)

J

If you put me on a rack, you are going to stretch me right :huh: so predictable ;)

Rattlin' on Sam ... try a grey-ish backdrop, piece of cloth, durty duster, cardboard, ...

I like your porcupine ratlines :)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for stopping by everybody.

J, once I get into a rhythm I find it goes pretty smoothly although tying of the first knot in a line sometimes gives me issues, about every 3rd - 4th line I seem to forget how to tie a clove hitch, I have tied enough of them in the past at full scale I can practically do them in my sleep. Add tweezers to the mix and I turn fall apart!!:D I think the secret for me is to know when to stop for a bit. When all of a sudden I cant seem to tie a knot it time to walk away for ten or fifteen minutes or even the night.

Carl, have you looked into an inversion table? For some people - including myself - they work wonders. There was a time where every morning after stretching I spent 5 minutes hanging upside down.

We have some coraplast at work (plastic card"board") I might see if there is a decent color that the boss will let me have.

Sam

your making progress Sam........they look good ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with the Starboard ratlines. I still have to fill a few areas in. I would have more to show for the last two weeks but I surprised Better Half with a trip to Maui for putting up with my work shenanigans over the last 8 months or so.

Edit: Just for Carl, a new backdrop:

Shrouds-06.thumb.jpg.06df1988a697c72227fae76f6cc825a1.jpg

Starboard ratlines

IMG_2763.thumb.jpg.e6ae8425e75131c2f39f6d8634035ae0.jpg

Our view from the balcony

IMG_2801.thumb.jpg.4c1bf2aa0dc2330fee107e05b51ce770.jpg

We woke up to this view every morning.

Ok Then, Back to modeling!

Sam

Thanks for the Maui backdrop, missing the ratlines in them though ;) It's not just the admiral which earned the trip. The way you seem to have been working makes it a valid outing for your too !

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Many thanks to those who hit the like button. I have trimmed the porcupine ends of the ratlines, pictures later.

Sjors, your rigging gnomes did most of the work I just pointed fingers and handed out tools.

Carl, its was a vacation for me too as you pointed out. But there have been so many times she commented that she wanted to sit on an empty beach with a drink in her hand and an umbrella in the drink. Then, one morning at O-Dark-Thirty in February as woke her to say I was leaving for work, she sleepily said "Why aren't you waking me to say we are going to Hawaii?" I thought, "Why not?" So even though it was for both of us, it really started out for her.

Now, time to anchor my Fore Mast and make some more shrouds. I am going to have to remake at least one mast cap, the angles shift on the fore mast.

Sam

You take the Gnomes with you to Hawaii??

Nice for the Admiral.....

I think i have figure it out.

You take the build and Gnomes with you so they can do the ratlines and the Admiral stays at home.....🤔

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, Got shrouds on the Fore Mast. I have to redo the second lanyard from the bow, I turned it the wrong way. I managed to get the third deadeye too high so that has to come off also to be redone. Figured I would post this now otherwise it wouldn't happen for another week!!

That's all the news for now.

Sam

Shrouds-07.thumb.jpg.c1605c0567657d0c669f1d5555c3f95a.jpg