Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Your back must still be bothering you then Carl.

And so it begins, my first ratlines are on. 2.5 hours to get tp this point! :o:D Need some adjustment still,  they are not secured yet, I want to get some practice first. The macro shots really show the variations I have.

ratlines-01.thumb.jpg.8976ef8365d9df83754bd99bb1e09e60.jpg

Not sure if I am going to try to fix the middle lanyard or not it means replacing the entire lanyard and the difference in the length of the seizing (frapping?) isnt as noticeable from a regular viewing distance.

ratlines-02.thumb.jpg.0295a6f6df40dbbb12e6d3f7e547c764.jpg

Onward!!

Sam

32 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

you can do a decent clove hitch........ ;)  .........

Thanks Dennis. Sometimes I can. about every 4th one I get all messed up and start tying I dont know what kind of knot. Its not a difficult knot, just with tweezers......

Rich! long time, how ya been?? Or as a new member likes to say, "How ya Going?"

Sam

Epsom salt showers Carl? I suppose you could fill a big bucket up with hot water and Epsom salts then pour it over your head. Not sure it will impart the intended effect though. Perhaps we could stretch you on a rack?  Hope your feeling better.

So far I have rattled the Port side and I am now on to the starboard side. I have not trimmed the Port lines yet, leaving myself some adjustment after I get more experience I may want to go back and do some additional work. Over all I am pleased with what I have done although that perfectionist part of me wants all the lines to have a consistent swag. They vary a bit, not the end of the world but my eye is drawn to things like that.

I am actually enjoying the experience so far, lets see how I feel after another couple of weeks. Fortunately I only have two small masts with 4 shrouds each to do, I suspect if there were more shrouds I might feel different.

Ok then, enough rambling, PICTURES!!

Shrouds-04.thumb.jpg.7afbc4c390f85d2b3bf7ec45607afe21.jpg

Shrouds-05.thumb.jpg.f65159e3f4d364ad92476348b32bf779.jpg

I need to find a better back drop than TFFM, they are great books but a little distracting for a backdrop. My beige walls however just swallow up the ratlines.

Sam

Thanks for stopping by everybody.

J, once I get into a rhythm I find it goes pretty smoothly although tying of the first knot in a line sometimes gives me issues, about every 3rd - 4th line I seem to forget how to tie a clove hitch, I have tied enough of them in the past at full scale I can practically do them in my sleep. Add tweezers to the mix and I turn fall apart!!:D I think the secret for me is to know when to stop for a bit. When all of a sudden I cant seem to tie a knot it time to walk away for ten or fifteen minutes or even the night.

Carl, have you looked into an inversion table? For some people - including myself - they work wonders. There was a time where every morning after stretching I spent 5 minutes hanging upside down.

We have some coraplast at work (plastic card"board") I might see if there is a decent color that the boss will let me have.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with the Starboard ratlines. I still have to fill a few areas in. I would have more to show for the last two weeks but I surprised Better Half with a trip to Maui for putting up with my work shenanigans over the last 8 months or so.

Edit: Just for Carl, a new backdrop:

Shrouds-06.thumb.jpg.06df1988a697c72227fae76f6cc825a1.jpg

Starboard ratlines

IMG_2763.thumb.jpg.e6ae8425e75131c2f39f6d8634035ae0.jpg

Our view from the balcony

IMG_2801.thumb.jpg.4c1bf2aa0dc2330fee107e05b51ce770.jpg

We woke up to this view every morning.

Ok Then, Back to modeling!

Sam

Thanks for the Maui backdrop, missing the ratlines in them though ;) It's not just the admiral which earned the trip. The way you seem to have been working makes it a valid outing for your too !

Many thanks to those who hit the like button. I have trimmed the porcupine ends of the ratlines, pictures later.

Sjors, your rigging gnomes did most of the work I just pointed fingers and handed out tools.

Carl, its was a vacation for me too as you pointed out. But there have been so many times she commented that she wanted to sit on an empty beach with a drink in her hand and an umbrella in the drink. Then, one morning at O-Dark-Thirty in February as woke her to say I was leaving for work, she sleepily said "Why aren't you waking me to say we are going to Hawaii?" I thought, "Why not?" So even though it was for both of us, it really started out for her.

Now, time to anchor my Fore Mast and make some more shrouds. I am going to have to remake at least one mast cap, the angles shift on the fore mast.

Sam

You take the Gnomes with you to Hawaii??

Nice for the Admiral.....

I think i have figure it out.

You take the build and Gnomes with you so they can do the ratlines and the Admiral stays at home.....🤔

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, Got shrouds on the Fore Mast. I have to redo the second lanyard from the bow, I turned it the wrong way. I managed to get the third deadeye too high so that has to come off also to be redone. Figured I would post this now otherwise it wouldn't happen for another week!!

That's all the news for now.

Sam

Shrouds-07.thumb.jpg.c1605c0567657d0c669f1d5555c3f95a.jpg

Sam:

Nice work. I agree that lanyard needs redoing, but the one deadeye being a little higher does not necessarily need to be redone. Sometimes, deadeyes were not perfectly lined up. In the natural course of working the ship, they could easily get slightly out of line. It is up to you, though.

Russ

Thanks Russ and also all who hit the like button. I figured that a working ship would never have perfectly lined up dead eyes and I'm ok with a 32nd or maybe even a 16th of an inch but this one was so far off that was all I saw. Off it came. Of course now its a bit lower than the others!! LOL. I am good with it now.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

still learning in that dept as well.   to have them all equally spaced, is just a modeler's taste.   it's quite a common practice for a museum quality model to have evenly spaced dead eye lanyards.  you get right down to it,  a lanyard off here and there,  is actually added detail and makes the model look more realistic.   movies show this as well.   working with plastic models all my life,  I never had to worry about this.......my first wooden model showed me I have some learning to do ;)    I made up a jig.......but I suspect I'll be making a few more,  depicting the difference in scale.

Thanks everybody for checking in, I do appreciate it. Not really much to show lately, summer is here. Went camping last weekend, annual fishing trip with the brothers is coming up and in August we go back on to Ludicrous Speed. I have the Port Ratlines mostly done and hope to get the rest and the Starboard rats done this weekend (RIGHT!! Who am I kidding!!!!)

Russ, Dennis, I am finding I need to reign myself in sometimes, otherwise if I start slacking off I will let myself get sloppy.

I will try to get some pictures up this weekend.

Sam

Ok then promised pictures - in a bit - I need to ramble. :D

I have learned a few things doing the Fore Shrouds and Ratlines.

1. No coffee or alcohol, they both lead to poor results and additional redo's. There are enough of those to begin with.
  2. As I commented earlier I have had issues getting that first knot tied correctly. I found if I take my Third Hands and extend them all the way up I can use that as a crutch to hold the end of the line. It makes tying that first knot faster and easier for me.

I am still learning how to keep a consistent swag in the ratlines, the Fore lines are better than the Main but as you can see in the close up some are still a bit flat. I think once I have finished the Port side I will have to go back and redo a few on both masts. I am not going to try to get them perfect just a little more consistent..

Ok then pictures.

Shrouds-08.thumb.jpg.606b15f0259974546dc36bf152cf99ff.jpg

Shrouds-09.thumb.jpg.92e22e2103dc73f17a289feb0016624e.jpg