Admiral Vernon by philo426 - FINISHED - Steingraber

I am well into my vintage Seingreber(West Germany)Admiral Vernon kit.i have modified the hull profile and have changed the stern treatment because the instructions leave a lot to be desired and i like to change things when I build models to personalize them.the hull is planked with 3/8" mahogany planks and limewood along the gun ports.   20150928_102550_zps1u3gjgcz.jpg

The next order of business is to resin cast and install the cannons.I used the cast metal square cannon inserts from the AL Hermione kit that i modified withthe large caliber cannon from the Ersatzia .I also will use the cast metal closed gun ports to add variety to the gun ports.I white glued the masters to the bottom of a clear plastic box and will pour rTV to make a mold.After the mold cures i will resin cast sufficient copies to fill the cannon ports.This is the largest model i have ever constructed so it may be necessary to construct a stand alone display table.Gives me a chance to exercise my wood working skills.

Looking good!  I think that showing us the process for molding your canons would be interesting to see.  Hope you include it!

Your last photo is much improved in its' sharpness. Maybe more light will help the camera reduce it's shake if you can't put it on a tripod.

take care,

marc

Looking good, what are the dimensions of her. I also would like to see your cannon process

Hi

Can I ask something?

Why your photos refet to photobucket, with consequence - it can not be enlarged if you lurk by android cell or tablet? I am interested in some details, but can not enlarge them. Could you try with regular upload?

Nenad

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Another suggestion, for the dead-eyes themselves, they should be relatively even spacing (this can be accomplished by holding them in various sorts of jigs you can find throughout other build logs here while attaching the shrouds), and they are actually designed to be aligned in a specific way.

What I mean by that, is that the holes in the top dead-eye should form a triangle with the point 'up', and the holes in the bottom dead-eye should form a triangle with the point 'down'.  Once they are aligned like that, there is a specific way to route the lanyard through the holes that will make them all look the same, and be properly rigged.  See the attached drawings for the orientation and the way the lanyard is routed.

post-14925-0-37782700-1444834878_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-70776200-1444834877_thumb.jpg

Ignore the red arrow, that was something I put in there for a different discussion.

Edited by GuntherMT

I agree with Jan. Your shrouds look way too thin. Remember that their main job was side to side support for the masts, so they had to be thick ropes to sustain the forces.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Probablyknot,I think that this is a kit that philo got from me a few years back for a nominal fee.I found the kit at a garage sale pretty cheap and I think I passed on the savings as it cost me more to ship than I got for the kit.I think hes done a good job considering the shape the kit was in. I actually disassembed the frames and keel to shelve the kit for later. Steingraber was an older German firm who also dealt in R/C models. I think philo was looking for some cheap kits to get experience on and it looks like he's going after it.Good for you guys to coach him as hes getting better.  Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hi Philo

Posting a comment as promised on your Nautical Discussion thread.  Your build is coming on nicely, I agree with the comments about the shrouds, I'm not sure doubling up is the right way to go, but as I have said in my log, any build is an achievement, and looking at your 'Ersatzia' you have accomplished something many do not, and that is a finished ship model, well done.  Both your projects are, in truth, ambitious for first builds, but I'm sure you have learned a lot.  Keep at it!

Cheers

Martin

Yes both the Ersatzia and Vernon are tune up builds to learn the techniques necessary to build a major ship model.Mistakes made here can be pointed out and corrected on future builds and the end results are still excellent and impressive decirative objects that friends and family find mighty impressive!