Charon Boatman of the River Styx by bensid54

I think you nailed the difference - according to Wiki:

Rowing is the act of propelling a boat using the motion of oars in the water, displacing water, and propelling the boat forward. The difference between paddling and rowing is that rowing requires oars to have a mechanical connection with the boat, while paddles are hand-held and have no mechanical connection.

Semantics anyway :) your skeleton is taking shape!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Ben - 

Your build is fascinating, and so innovative.  I am learning a great deal from how you are working all of the various materials together.  Can't wait to see Charon in action.

To answer your question - paddling is done with the arms alone, facing the bow; rowing is done using a fulcrum (oarlock, thole pin, or just a hole in the bulwark) and is usually done facing the stern.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Ben,

fascinating, looks like all paddeling motion will be simulated in kinematic action. Love to see that all in motion. Do you require an extra rudder for steering ? or will all be done with Charon`s (RC contolled) paddle alone ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils. The paddle will be set at an angle to offset the tendency of Charon to go in circles. The angle of the paddle will have to be determined once I get him in the water. Yes I will have a rudder at the bow in the form of a break in the keel (I think) to steer the vessel and help compensate for him wanting to paddle in circles and to direct his course.

Thanks for the answer Ben,

ca`nt wait to see that all in action...;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very neat Ben.  He looks like he is well suited to the task; that pose imparts a strong stroke.

cheers

Pat

Roughed in servos and mount. Next will be to clean that up then build linkage and after that I'll figure out the angles so my  extremely intelligent and modest friend in the UK can program the board for me. The servo with the arm hanging down won't stay that way I just have to remount it. 

Top view of servos.jpg

Side view of servo mount.jpg

Back view of servo mount.jpg

Front view of servo mount.jpg

Linkage made and installed. One of the rods had to be cut down and cut to 3 mm with my little die plus I had to drill out the ball link and thread that to 3 mm. In one of the pictures you see the savage beast I had to save Charon from when she was trying to eat his wire. Next will be a video of him in action.

Front view linkage attached.jpg

Front view standing.jpg

Other side linkage attached.jpg

Side view linkage attached.jpg

Looks great Ben, some very good progress made.  Can't wait too see him in actions - are you still doing glowing eyes?

cheers

Pat

To my eye, it looks pretty smooth and pretty spot on, Ben.  My only comment is limit the speed on the rowing.  The higher speed doesn't quite look right... too energetic methinks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Looking pretty darn good, Ben.  As for clothing, how tall is he?  You might look into some doll clothing... maybe modify something that exists.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Ben, looks good, even before your latest adjustment to the arm.  What about something like sculpey which can be shaped/moulded then oven baked to a hard finish? 

cheers

Pat

Something that never crossed my mind Mark regarding the clothes a good idea if I make a fisherman in a row boat which I have given some thought to. The time of Charon was a time when robes were the norm so he will end up with a black cloak. Pat I was thinking about that and I'm thinking about using dowels around his arms and legs but still not sure what to do with his back. Basically I plan on only having his face and hands exposed.

To flesh him out a bit..maybe some foam (high density?).   Some of the craft shops stock it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Ben - 

Those videos were excellent.  They really show that you are achieving a lifelike movement.

I had a strange thought while watching.  To me it looks more like he is using a pole than a paddle, and I have a recollection of a woodcut illustration of Charon poling across a narrow stream between Purgatory and Hades.  Do you plan to set him in a diorama, where he could use a pole, or will he go in open pools where he would have to paddle?

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan I plan on having him paddle around in pools and ponds on a calm day. Yes the Charon most are familiar with does use a pole to push himself across the river Styx but I don't have any shallow rivers to pole across. He will be remote control when I'm done and hopefully before the end of summer this year if not then summer next year. Here is a video of my last project.

Amazing - that rowing action looks very good and even propels at a realistic pace -  a well synchronised crew :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks Pat, that boat took about two weeks worth of head scratching to figure out how I was going to do it. Getting the oars to enter and exit the water with little splashing and as human like as possible was the big challenge. This is a video of the mechanics that sit below deck.

• 2 years later...

Hey, Bensid - did you ever finish Charon? The log seems to have just come to a sudden halt about two and a half years ago. I lost trace of it, but I was looking forward to seeing it complete. Now that the buildlogs have been re-organised it was visible again.

It would be really good to get an update - particularly if there's a video available :dancetl6: