Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Hi Piet,

Very nice propellor.

As it is so beautifull, it is with great hesitation that I ask the question: are you sure that the props were 4-bladed props?

Some of the pictures suggest 3-bladed ones....

Jan

PS Perhaps I already gave this link before, but here are some nice pics of the loading of the mines. The number of peaople standing around suggest that loading was not completely trivial ...

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/pictures/pictures_o19_loading_mines.htm

post-176-0-77006000-1403338766_thumb.jpg

Edited by amateur

Thank you all for dropping in and your likes.

@ Pete48: Thank you, thank you but did you see jan's comment ??  Yeah the prop came out okay but - - -

@ Remco:  Thank you as well for the compliment, but I have to remake them  :(

@ Jan:  Ah yes, eagle eye Jan - - - it's a good thing somebody keeps me straight :)  thank you for spotting it.  Yes, of course the prop has only three blades.  Here I went assuming again and not checking the photos in my archive.  The actual manufacturer's drawings only give me one blade that seems to be centered, making me think it has four blades.  I have that picture hanging on the wall as well with a few others but - - - I didn't check :(  :(  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:   Okay, everybody now in unison - domkop ;)  Thank you.

Okay, enough fun at my expense, now I need to get back to work and redo the props.  No biggy, just a minor set-back.  That gives me two less blades to make too :rolleyes:  :) 

What is this, two strokes?  So I have one more before I'm out ;)   I better start paying more attention!!   

Yeah, it sure looks like a tedious job - loading mines.  Gino mentioned to me that dropping them was a nerve racking experience, very noisy and scary.

I don't know how much work I'll be able to do in the next few days.  Gwen wants to leave at 0600 next Tuesday morning.  We are driving up to Pittsburgh, PA  to visit our daughter and grandson.  13 hours on the road.

I'll take my big iMac with me though so I can stay in touch with all y'all.  This'll give me some time with artwork.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet, Jan is right if you look at the drawings, she was designed with 3 blades. Of course it could look like 4 if you think it's 4.  So no domkop or strike two here if you ask me  ;) just lucky as you only need to make 6 blades

post-20-0-34716700-1403418034.png

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Be safe and have a wonderful trip, Piet.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to everyone for visiting and your likes,.  WOW, I'm overwhelmed by all your support !

@ Dave:  Thank you for your compliment and the best wishes for our trip.  Yep, there are a lot of crazies on the road but we'll be vigilant. 

@ Remco:  Yep, I agreed and have kicked myself for such a stupid error.  I Had that same photo Jan posted hanging on the wall right before my nose.  Stupid is as stupid does  :(  :rolleyes:   No, no, Remco - - I can't make any excuses but you are just too nice trying to cover for me  ;)

@ Wacko Dave: Thank you dave for your well wishes and yes, we'll try to make it a great time, he is a good kid.

@ Mark: Thank you too and we'll be in touch.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well - - - surprise, surprise, surprise - - - I did manage to get some work done after all.  

I remade the port propeller and salvaged only three blades, which is okay.  So, I remade the hub and cemented the three blades in it, all before lunch.  This gave the epoxy time to cure enough so I could repaint the hub and started polishing the blades.  It looks okay for me, they all track but still need to be balanced - - - you read John Lad??   ;)

I also finished the three blades for the starboard propeller and cut the grooves in it for the blades.  They are actually ready to be cemented into the hub but - - -  Being busy tomorrow gathering "stuff" to bring with us to PIT, packing and still mowing the lawn I may not have time to log on to MSW.  But all yuns can do without me for a while  ;)  I'll be reading a lot of build logs while with the kids  :D  :D

Okay, here are the pics of the three bladed propeller and again my thanks to Jan for this good catch, bravo!

post-1399-0-45632400-1403490331_thumb.jpg

This is the photo of the O19 on the ways and close to launch with the three bladed prop clearly visible.  It could have spit me in the eye, that close.

post-1399-0-67474700-1403490351_thumb.jpg

This shows the remade port propeller with THREE blades this time, looking forward and above.  It took me 2 hours to so  :)

post-1399-0-00403500-1403490363_thumb.jpg

Another shot looking aft.  

post-1399-0-87753900-1403490372_thumb.jpg

Taken from the side.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Great job on the fix Piet, She looks amazingly beautiful

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hr Domkop Piet  :D  :D  :D  :D

Very nice and quick fix !

Well done my friend.

Have a safe trip and say hello to the fam. over there at Pitsburg......

I'll talk to you when we are in that good ,old England...( still 3 days to go )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

My thanks again to everyone looking in and crowding in my dockyard and your likes!!!!

@ Dave: Thanks and yes, it went rather smooth this time.  The biggest job was already done, the blades. The rest was a piece of cake - - - so to speak.  Practice makes (almost) perfect  ;)

@ Jan: I'm going to call you Eagle Eye Jan - - - no more Amateur for you my friend  :)   And thanks for your confirmation to my fix, it worked out okay and I'm sure my father would give you also a pad on the back.

@ Pete48: Thank you.  And yes, I'm also rather pleased with how she's turing out.  Showed it to my neighbor and she was flabbergasted and almost fall over when I could demonstrate some of the things actually working.

Okay folks, this'll be my last post till we have safely arrived in Coraopolis, PA and have set-up the confuser again.  No more work on the O19 till after we come back home in hot and sunny Florida on July 8.  But then I need to mow the lawn and do some other things like - - - doctor visits to begin the next round of BDG treatments.

Y'all hang in and we'll be in touch!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

while it isn't a three blade prop........you certainly get an  'A'  for effort!   have a good trip and a safe one as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello everyone, 

Gwen and I arrived safely in Coraopolis, PA or Moon Township as it's officially called, at our daughter's place.  We had a nice welcome and quaffed a few brews before some Chinese take-out dinner.

If yuns want to know where Moon Township is located, it's S W of Pittsburgh and only a few miles away from the Pittsburgh International Airport.  

Today is lazy time day, Gwen needs to recover a little after sitting in the car for 13 hours.

No Sjors, I'm not angry at you at all, I like you very much!  It just so happened that when I hit the "Add Reply" button and immediately logged off.  Your post came later and therefore I missed it.  Stuff happens like that so once in a while.  You and Anja have a great time in good ol England and give my best to Mobbsie and his dear bride.

Hi Popeye, thanks you, thank you.  Hmmmm, it isn't a three bladed prop?  Did you look closely??  Yeah, it's a three bladed prop alright and the fix went rather smooth.  Now I have to wait for two weeks before I can continue with the build but we have other things going on that are equally fun. 

Stay tuned, same place, same station.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet, Sounds like a fun trip

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

yea piet.........whose the domkop now  :D  :D    when I posted,  I didn't see your updated pictures.........very nice recovery!  what can I say,  I'm computer illiterate........if it weren't for the pictures on the screen......I'd be totally lost!  :D  :D    glad you made it to your destination in good order.......I hope you enjoy every moment ;)   I hope there will be pictures

"if you have 24 odds and ends,  and 23 of them fall off the table,  what have you got......an odd or an end?

{George Carlin}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Pete4. Yep, we are enjoying our stay, it's been a year since we have seen the kids.

Hey Popeye, first I thought you may have eye problems and in need of new glasses ;)  ;)   But being computer illiterate is a real handicap - - - I know, when I look at a confuser they have a tendency to break  :rolleyes: 

Yep, we are enjoying, and I'm ready to go outside to quaff a good Belgian ale with our daughter, she is one cool dudet. We are very proud of her.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

We are back home from a very nice visit with our daughter and grandson.  Obviously we had many domestic chores do do after the two weeks being gone but today I had the chance of actually doing some work on the O19 in the morning  :)

I finished the port propeller except for the final clear cote to protect the shiny copper blades.

I'm now contemplating the next project on the boat.  The biggest will be the deck torpedo launcher and the rework on the opening and doors.  The dingy will have to wait till the launcher installation is completed.   It's either that or work both at the same time, which is not really desirable though.  I like to work only on one thing at a time but we'll see.

Okay, here is a picture of the stern end showing both propellers on the shafts and they rotate when blowing on them.

post-1399-0-84474100-1405045691_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

glad to hear you had a good time and made it back safely. the aft end looks great.....very nice picture. will look forward in seeing more of the armament!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Piet , Sounds like you had a good trip, Glad to see you back. . Nice work on the movable propellers. She looks fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks everyone for your very kind responses and also for the likes.

Yes, it's good to be back home and in our own environs.  The daughter is a real slave driver - - - put me to work in the yard and help with cooking the meals  ;)   Good is that we quaffed a few brews before dinner, out on the large deck back of the house.

@ Dave:  yep, that makes two of us, I'm also pondering what to do next myself.

@ Remco:  Hmmm - ball bearings eh?   I'd rather think thrust bearings to take the loads both ways, forward and reverse.  Yes, they are with balls but with specifically formed races and cones.  Kinda similar arrangement as with large piston aircraft engines.

@ Popeye:  Thank you my friend and ref to more armament, well - - - that's what I'm pondering on.  Deck launched torpedo thingy, which is a rather complicated gizmo - - - and I have to rework the deck structure  :rolleyes:  :(   the openings are too small for the scale torpedoes.  Soooooooohhh - -- here we go again - - - doing some more surgery.

@ Pete 48:  Thank you and yes, it's nice spending time again in the shipyard - - - in between chores that is.  When the Admiral is happy then I'm happy.

Today was a lost day in the shipyard, helping Gwen with an alleged computer problem on her Mac notebook pro.  I could not duplicate what she sees.  She'll give me a yell when she encounters it so that I can see what she has.  This is like the blind leading the blind  :rolleyes:   Also had to make some changes to my investment allocations to spread all my millions of dollars to the most advantageous items - - - and if you believe that then I have some prime sea shore property for sale in Death Valley ;)  ;)   Just dreaming here  ;) 

So, we'll wait till Sunday before I can start a new project on the O19, who knows what it'll be - - - surprise.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Go to www.boatnerd.com and click on the "news channel" link.

The submarine museum in Cleveland (www.usscod.org) is going to be re-enacting the O-19 rescue on July 12

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks everyone for visiting and your likes.

Hey Andy, thanks for the link and yes, I was aware of the anniversary and had plans to go but more important doctor visits prevented that.  Hopefully next year.  I did visit the USS Cod last year with my grandson and had a private tour by Paul Farace, the curator.  He was thrilled meeting the son of the Dutch Navy guy who was the official Quality Control officer on the O19 when she was build in Schiedam, the Netherlands.  Sjors and Anja live nearby.  My father sailed on her on all the proving runs and also to the Netherlands east Indies in 1939.

I'll add a few pics below for anyone who's interested in the story of the rescue of the crew of the O19 by the USS Cod back in July 1945.  

There is also a video on YouTube about the rescue operation. 

Sorry to be a little slow in spooling up to productivity after our visit at our daughter's in Moon Township, PA.  A lot of stuff to catch up with, like doctor visits, lawn and etc.

Today I mowed the front yard - - - again and after lunch helped Gwen put her office chair together.  She tried doing it herself and followed the instructions but had "massive" problems, her words ;)  Sooooh, as a "good" husband I offered my assistance and the first thing I did was throw the instructions aside.  Men don't need no stink'n instructions - - -  ;)  ;)  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:    I did it my way, which worked, of course - - - well, a little more muscle helped.  ;)   Gwen is rather limited in that department due to her carpel tunnel issue, poor girl.

Okay, so back to work on the O19.  I dug up a few pics of the deck torpedo launcher thingy and will do that next, wish me luck, it's all brass work.

Here are a few pics related to the USS Cod rescue operation of the O19 as Andy so kindly pointed out.

post-1399-0-72759300-1405283088_thumb.jpg

The USS Cod in the background with the O19 stuck on Ladd reef in foreground, in process of transferring the O19 crew.  btw,that's the O19 dingy you see.  It had to be abandoned.

post-1399-0-34809100-1405283111.jpg

A nice pic of the USS Cod.

post-1399-0-73028400-1405283153_thumb.jpeg

This photo was taken just after the war ended when both crews threw a party, long to be remembered and cherished by them.  Both crews posed for their picture.

post-1399-0-97373600-1405283224_thumb.jpeg

This is a composite pic of both crews with their ladies at the party to celebrate the war ending and rescue just after the war with Japan ended.

post-1399-0-09698400-1405283239.jpg

The reunion in 1997 at the USS Cod Memorial and Museum in Cleveland, OH.  These are the few men of the O19 crew still living in 1997.  They have now all passed away. 

post-1399-0-44528100-1405283293_thumb.jpg

This is a picture I took last year of the USS Cod conning tower with her war record on it.  You can see the number O19 on the con and a martini glass.  The martini glass is to commemorate that infamous party with both crews and their ladies. 

post-1399-0-57789600-1405283308_thumb.jpg

A picture of the USS Cod's battle flag.  Here too you can see the martini glass with the number O19.  The word below the double dolphins is in the Netherlands language and means "Submarine Service."

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Again my heartfelt thanks to everyone for visiting and your likes.

Hello Ian, good to see in my shipyard and appreciate your comment.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well, as all yuns may have surmised - I decided to tackle the deck launched torpedo launcher.  I did make some progress today, at least I got the swivel or rotation plate with the swivel pin tube soldered and both the torpedo tubes soldered to it.  

Next will be all the other hardware that belongs on the launcher made and soldered to the tubes.  There is a lot that's associated with launching torpedoes as can be seen in the original photo.  

I think though that the biggest headache will be reworking the openings and doors in the deck structure.  It'll be a head scratcher for sure.  I may even have to remove some of the side plates and remake them.  But, such is the ways of scratch building with a lot of afterthoughts - - - of - oh, that'll be nice to incorporate - - - without first having the drawings or photos that came to me at a much later date.  But so what, I'm not shying away from a challenge and we'll overcome this one too.

But it still beats a total rebuild like Mark Taylor did and this too will end up looking good.  At least I'll do my best to work it in such a way that all this rework will be invisible, like it has always been there.  This area has been taken apart several time.   :rolleyes:  B)

Now for a few pics.

post-1399-0-96644000-1405391354_thumb.jpg

This is a copy of one of the several original photos from the Dutch builder I have on file.  Here we can see how much work is involved to make my model come close to looking like that.

post-1399-0-75793300-1405391384_thumb.jpg

This is a crude soldering jig for soldering the rotation table / base plate as the base of the launcher unit.  I still need to add a wooden disc blow it to allow the tubes swiveling outside the deck side.

post-1399-0-14783000-1405391399_thumb.jpg

Here I have clamped both tubes to the rotation table or base plate and centered, ready to be soldered to the swivel tube and the base plate.  

post-1399-0-19657200-1405391423_thumb.jpg

This is a heat-sink for when I have to solder all the parts to the tubes without having to worry that it'll fall apart.  I may not need it but just in case, better to be safe then sorry.

post-1399-0-62923300-1405391442_thumb.jpg

The tubes are now soldered to the base plate and put inside the deck structure for a look-see.  Hmmm, beginning to look like something  ;)

post-1399-0-07848200-1405391453_thumb.jpg

Here I rotated the launcher to hit the forward and aft sides of the openings to see how much I have to widen the openings.  Fortunately not much, I'm lucking out here.  I also need to take into account that the closing doors of the tubes will add to the lengths. 

From here on in it'll be mostly trial and error with the rework.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra