Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Hi Piet, Nice work, thanks for the tip on the clear poly on card stock ( I will have to remember that ) the doors look great

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I'm still here good buddy......have a bunch of crap going on at the moment. smoke's beginning to clear now, so I should be back at the table. I barely have time to look in, so when I do...I have to play major catch up. thinking about your plywood.......I did do something like it, but I just made a frame and faced both sides. hollow.........can't seem to remember what I did it for. yours look good though......it will be a treat to see them hung ;)

did all my yard work today......next to rotate the tires on the Isuzu

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Pete and Popeye for dropping by, it's always great seeing yuns in the shipyard.

Yeah Pete, especially the file folder card stock seems to be layered and even when you soak it as much as you dare with either the glue or poly it still tends to flake off when sanding or scraping.  Any thin poly or two part epoxy for fiber glassing should work okay, it should penetrate the paper to make it more like wood.

Yeah, the doors are okay but I'm having a snag with not enough space for the launcher to swivel out over them.  See next post for explanation.

Hey Popeye, I know what you mean.  Life gets in the way of fun - - sometimes.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet, Everyday is a School day , I learned somthing again . I am sure that you will figure out the launcher and it will be Amazing

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks again to all who dropped in and clicked on like, it's much appreciated.

Well, as I mentioned to Pete in my previous post, I ran into a snag with not having enough space between the launcher and the doors when they are in the open position.

I miss 1.5 mm!  Even a gnat's eye lash would be too much so I have to do some thinking in how to solve this problem AND make the doors work on hinges.

I think that I have to remove the three pieces of deck frames and then also the stringer where the side deck panel is glued to.  This may involve removing the portion below the door opening, that way I have better access to the sides to remove small portions of the stringer so that I can glue a new but thinner stringer it its place.  

The door must hinge in such a way to allow it to fold even with the bottom of the door opening.  The paper hinge must be glued straight down from the back of the door to the back of the stringer, that way it will do that.  

I'll most likely have to remove the lower stop strips on the doors and perhaps even shaving some off to make it a tad thinner.  

I may have to make some more plywood or if I can carefully cut the small part below the door opening I may even be able to reuse it.  A little filler in the seam and a fresh coat of paint will do the trick.

This is actually not a redo but more a re-engineering project.

Okay, I made two pics to show yuns what I see and how to best tackle this minor problem.

post-1399-0-72594800-1407984592_thumb.jpg

I have annotated the photo so you can follow my reasoning.  First I must remove the three left over pieces of the deck framing.  Next i must either make the stringer thinner with a rotary saw blade or cut-off disc or just remove it.  I'll most likely have to remove the section of side panel below the door opening and install a new but thinner stringer.  The thickness of the side panel with stringer must be the same as the total thickness of the door.

The portion I marked as door stops must also be removed, that's an easy one.

The way the door is situated on this photo is exactly where it should be and with the plan I have right now it should work. 

post-1399-0-29024500-1407984606_thumb.jpg

This shows how the launcher rotates nicely with the door flush with the lower sill of the opening.  Now I have to get to work and make it work.  I must remember taking a few pics of the surgery and hopefully a successful completion.

Cheers, 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet, You got this sucker in the bag ,( I know easier said than done ). I know that you will do an amazing job , just remember to take some pic's

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Impressive re-engineering.  I've heard of do-over's but this is almost extreme... like a re-design. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My thanks to all who dropped by and left me a like,  :)

Thank you Pete, John, Mark and Dave for your very encouraging words. Much appreciated.

@ Pete, hmmm - - the sucker in the bag eh, well I'm certainly going to try to bag this one but it's like changing a piston through the muffler  ;)  Taking pics of the demolition and rework is difficult to do when I'm the only one home.  Oh, I could put my Cannon on a tripod and then push the self timer but I am in too big a rush to get started that I plumb forgot.  I'll try to simulate some of it tomrrow or whenever.  

It has to come out out okay, that's an order!

@ John, thanks for visiting and I'll try to do my best.

@ Mark, yeah, and it's all because of most are after thoughts when the basic hull was already completed.  Originally I was not going into any detail but then "stuff" happened and one thing lead to another.  I was not going to build a model of the launcher like I did.  Remember that I ripped the deck off for another redesign?  Then I figured, or guessed, that some sort of launcher would be okay.  well, you get the picture  that this is to be expected when prior planning is not involved.  This model seems yo have gotten a life of its own and things just evolved.

But - - - I have absolutely no regrets of doing all the re-engineering and do-overs, no matter of the difficulties I encountered without doing any damage to the hull.  Just a lot of head scratching and loosing some hairs from my already thinned head.  Bottom line is, I'm having fun with these challenges and solving them.

@ David,  yep, so true.  The challenge is how to do it with limited tools and not having to dismantle half the model.  

All yuns stay tuned for the continuation of the re-design and functionality of the torpedo launcher doors :rolleyes: 

Cheers to all, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Okay, I'm back.  I couldn't do much today and doubt very much of doing anything tomorrow.  First thing in the morning I mowed the front yard before the afternoon T-storms come rolling in, then did some more shopping for a few items i forgot and cook a few dishes for this weekend so Gwen doesn't have to "work" after her 900 mile drive from Pittsburgh, PA.

What a guy - - - the best husband she ever had  ;)  :rolleyes:

Well okay, I did venture into the garage with my late morning coffee and an apple to see what to do and where to start with the door problem.

Obviously I started by attempting to remove the three left over pieces of the original deck side frames.  I remembered that I nailed the lower side stringer to these frames in addition to glue, so using chisels or knives was not an option.  I kinda "worried" enough of the wood away to expose the nails and could extract them.  Then it was an easy case of prying them loose and out.

It's also fortunate that there is no appreciable movement in the bottom area! 

Great, so far so good.  Now I had to reduce the thickness of the stringer to match the thickness of the doors.  Using chisels and knives would not work but I had a small Dremmel like cut-off disc in my Poxxon hand tool and tried to remove wood with the side of this disc.  Well, it kinda did work and it left a fairly smooth side on the inside of the stringer.  I ban always dress it it some more with a small sanding block.

I tried to fit the doors and see how it looked at the inside for the paper hinges.  I think it'll work, all I can do is try to glue two hinges on for a test.

I have been able to do very little damage to the sides of the deck, just a little superficial scrapes on the paint, nothing that some careful dressing up and paint can't fix.

All in all I'm quite happy with the way things are turning out with the door rework and glad I don't have to remove any of the side plating.

I don't know when I can get back to this project though.  Tomorrow morning I have to get my fourth BCGI treatment that'll lock me close to the "tinkeltarium" for the rest of the day  and Gwen'll be coming home too.  I also need to make a few other dishes for her that she likes.  How about Bavarian sauer kraut?

Okay, here is one picture after I removed the frame pieces and "machined" the stringer a little thinner.

post-1399-0-14735400-1408062375_thumb.jpg

This shows that the frame pieces have been removed but you'll have to take my word for it that the stringer has been thinned enough to the thickness of the doors.  Before I can actually install the doors permanently I want to try it first with two paper hinges at the ends of the door.  When I'm sure the door will open and lay flat enough for the launcher to pass over it unhindered then I have to paint the inside of the launcher compartment in dark grey.  No one will ever know what "heart-ship" and "trauma" I had to go through to achieve this  ;)  :rolleyes:   I'm kidding  of course.  So far it has gone easier and faster then I figured.  So much for worrying.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Sounds like the storm has passed, and the sun has broken through the dark clouds mate. Always a relief to have a "re-do" put behind you. We've all been there, done that....and survived.

On a personal note, my own dear wife of 51 years, shall never be allowed to read your last posting....you know, without asking, what I am alluding to (not much of a galley hand here).

Cheers

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone for visiting and your likes.

Hi Dave, yeah, it turned out to be less of a problem then I thought.  We'll see how it'll work out when the doors are hinged.  

Regarding the galley issue, well, some people like to cook and learned how, others not so much.  For me it was a necessity for when I came to these United States as an immigrant.  I stayed a bachelor for 6 years and didn't make much money so home cooking was a necessity to keep eating costs down.  My dear bride of 52 years is a great cook but doesn't like to do it anymore.  

She'll also getting carpel tunnel operations very soon on both hands so I'll be doing the cooking then.  Fortunately she likes all kinds of foods from around the world and our most favorite is Indonesian and other asian dishes. 

Okay, enough of the food talk and back to business or the lack thereof.  I could not spend even one minute in the shipyard today.  First I had to drive down to Ormond Beach for my cancer treatment but we decided to postpone it till my urine sample was analyzed due to an unexpected situation that developed over the last week.

Then I decided to make a few more dishes for the next few days so both of us can relax and perhaps give me some time to work on the O19.  

Gwen is on her way but called when fueling up in Columbia, North Carolina, that it was slow going and she is tired.  I suggested for her to just stay overnight in a motel and rest up.  There is no rush and why jeopardise your health and safety.

I wish all y'll a great weekend with great modeling and I'll be soon back in the shipyard.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

If Gwen was traveling I-95 she passed right by my house.

FYI....I provided dinner for wife and self tonight. She really loves the #4 combo from Chick-Fillet (spicy chicken sandwich w/waffle fries)

Chef Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave, negative on I-95.  For our route up north we take I-95 - I-26 then I-77 through Charlotte and through Virginia, West Virginia, Rt 19, and I-79 direction PIT.

Great job with your culinary prowess Dave, I'm proud of you man  ;)   My wive loves Fire Hous subs - - - at least I can stay on subject  :D  :D  When she doesn't want to prepare a meal she either orders Chinese, Pizza or those yemonges subs.  

btw, the brisket is marinading in some dark ale (Turbo Dog) as we speak.  Tomorrow i have to put a rub on it and the roast that sucker.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hey Dave, if I lighten up more I'll be floating  ;)   Maybe that's the reason why all the nurses at the hospital are in stitches when I come.

Hello all, couldn't do anything on the O19 today, too many chores around the house.  Hopefully tomorrow, I keep my fingers crossed.

All y'all have a great rest of the day and keep safe and in good health,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Interesting rework Piet, also you sound like a busy man.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael, there is a lot of thinking, looking at things, trying things and hopefully everything will work out.  Yes, we try to keep busy otherwise life would be so boring  ;)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone and thanks to all for dropping by and your like votes.

I did manage a few hours in the shipyard today.  Did some futz'n with the doors to make them fit a little nicer. Then I figured that to be on the sage side I added a thin disc of wood under the launcher plate to raise it up a hair for a little more clearance over the folded doors.

I decided to glue two strips of card stock to the port door for the trial hinges and when the glue had dried enough during lunch I glued the door in place.  Then it was time to go with Gwen for some grocery shopping.  I needed some more ingredients for a few dishes I want to make - - - asparagus with a Brie sauce - - how's that sound???

We'll have to wait till tomorrow for the results of how the door works and that the launcher can still rotate over it.  We'll keep our fingers crossed.

I also started to make two more torpedoes to put inside the launcher.

I only made on picture for my archive but will make a few more when I'm glueing the final hinges to the door.

post-1399-0-03089800-1408413072_thumb.jpg

Not much to see but this is the port door being held in place with some string and a weight.  I put the card strips just to the inside of the "handhold" like thingies.  Everything looks kinda rough yet but I'm happy that I didn't do more damage to the deck sides.  Spray-paint touch up will fix all that  and no one will ever know what we had to go through - - - other then all yuns following my build  ;)  :rolleyes:

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Look's really good Piet , once painted it will look amazing , Incredible work

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks Pete for looking in.  Yeah, I think / hope that everything will come out okay.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks everyone for visiting and your likes!!

Today was not as productive as I would have liked it.  First of all it was my fourth visit at the Urology Clinic for the BCGI treatment and for some reason the side effects are much more bothersome.  In addition the temp in the garage was over 96 F and even with the doors open and the fan going full blast it was still HOT.  I was just moving hot air.  I like it hot but when you have a splitting headache, tired and drowsy feeling it's no longer fun.

In any case, the port door worked as advertised but - - - when I tried to install the launcher it would not go in.  That extra disc I glued on the bottom was too much.  So I "un-glued" it and cemented it to the fixed rotating plate that sits on top of the pressure hull.

I should have done that in the first place, domkop me  :o  :rolleyes:  ;)  But - - - all that time was not lost because I could now sand this disc to about 1 mm thickness that would have been more difficult by doing it in my hand or inside the boat.

I removed the door so I can glue the card hinges to it and permanently affix it to the bottom stringer below the door opening.  I'm going to be positive in that the launcher will fit okay, after all, I did try it.

While the glue was curing I started to model two torpedoes for the launcher.  I made three propellers from some thin brass shim material and the fins for one.  Hopefully I can finish these two torpedoes tomorrow, or whenever.

So you see that I was not letting the discomfort get in te way until later in the afternoon.

Here are two pics that show how I jury rigged a clamping system to clam the thin spacer disk.

post-1399-0-36774500-1408494822_thumb.jpg

Perhaps not clear by what I'm doing here, the next pic shows better.  I used a piece of brass tubing to center the disk over the existing turning plate.  Dabbed some TiteBond on it and then two small oak blocks I had laying around from making the VOC ship hull planking jigs.  Then two wooden sicks on top of the oak blocks and used wedged between them and the top of the door opening.  

post-1399-0-14519100-1408494839_thumb.jpg

You get a better idea with this picture.  This clamping rig is nice and tight and the disc should be well cemented.

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks everyone for visiting and your likes, it's really appreciated.

I had a semi good night last night and feel 95 % better then yesterday, almost my old self again  :dancetl6:

The temp in the garage was tolerable today, still in the low 90's but the fan cooled it somewhat, at least that's we imagine ;)  Actually the temp outside was 96 F and I guess it must have been at least 105 F inside the garage.  I guess you can't blame me for knocking off early yesterday.    

First thing I did was to remove the Rube Goldberg clamping rig and checked the launcher for fit, seems okay.

Next I cut eight pieces of card stock for both doors and made a sharp crease in them for the hinge part and glued them to the back of the doors.

While the glue was curing I continued work on the two torpedoes for the launcher, which I completed in between the door work.  After the glue of the card hinges had cured enough I trimmed the loose ends and painted the backside of the doors dark grey to match the interior.

By this time it was 12:30 and figured I may as well glue the port door on before knocking off for lunch. So I did and the glue is now curing overnight.  I'll test it first thing in the morning with the launcher inside to see how it works - - - keeping fingers crossed.  I didn't make a picture of the door being glued on, it's the same view is in a recent post.

Then I'll turn the build dock around and install the starboard door with another fit try.  If everything works then I'll start masking off the hull and deck so I can spray paint the green on.  Oh goody goody gumdrops, we are coming close to completing the launcher project.  Wish me luck folks.

Here are few pics from my archive of today's work.

post-1399-0-62753600-1408585041_thumb.jpg

A close-up shot of that added disc to the stationary launcher rotation plate.  The interior still needs touching up with the dark grey paint.  I took this pic right after I removed the clamping rig.

post-1399-0-92982200-1408585061_thumb.jpg

Here you see the card hinges ready to be glued to the backside of the door, port in this case.

post-1399-0-45953800-1408585073_thumb.jpg

Here I have glued them in place and as soon as the glue has cured I can trim the bottom part.

post-1399-0-92433400-1408585084_thumb.jpg

I also painted the backside of the doors because the interior can still be seen when I remove the deck hatches over the launcher compartment. 

post-1399-0-16679800-1408585101_thumb.jpg

This shows one of the launcher torpedoes in the building progress.  I have laid out the parts to attach  the little propeller - - the prop, spacer and pin.  I had the fins already glued on yesterday.  After the props are installed on both torpedoes I can paint them flat black.  You can see the next one on top left of the pic.

post-1399-0-99452800-1408585140_thumb.jpg

Here I have finished both torpedoes and shoved then inside the launcher tubes for the picture.  next to the launcher is a torpedo I made some time ago and may make a few more for spares.  It looks quite convincing to me, just a dab of red paint for the fuse striker button  ;)

Cheers.

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Agree with Remco above, it´s very convincing. Great detail work, Piet.

Piet,

I think I prefer to view the loaded torpedo launcher from the side - it looks rather scary from head on. :o

Take care of yourself and keep up the great work. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

nice work on the torpedoes Piet........the launcher looks great fully loaded ;) the doors are coming along nicely as well......scratch building can be quite the task master ;) coming up and creating the basic concept is is fun......but I think the real fun, is in thinking of other aspects to add to the build. do you have any other ideas in mind?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic work Piet, The launcher and torpedos look amazing

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member :