H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Paddy - Scale 1:48

Thank You for that treenail info. Hope to get to that stage someday.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

I must be into ship building for the long haul now. While working on the frames I couldn’t stand it any longer, took the plunge, and purchased the Byrnes Ropewalk which arrive a few days ago. Another of Jim’s machines I’m going to have great joy operating or should I say learning to operate at this point. Anyway thought maybe you all would like to see my first shot at making some cordage of three strands from some of DMC’s cotton crochet thread. I’ll be trying other threads also and will be looking for Gutermann Polyester Mara 220 which I understand is a good prospect. Another part of the learning of course will be to determine the size of the cordage in scale that I’m making and how to calculate the finished size coming off the Ropewalk. All this is fun stuff to me.

My first rope looks a bit lumpy to me and another obvious thing will be how to deal with fuzz especially if one choses to use cotton.

post-2736-0-70576500-1370798422_thumb.jpg 

Supply Thread

post-2736-0-53903500-1370798539_thumb.jpg

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Good Luck with the new rope machine. I've heard several good reports about it.

Later 42rocker

Paddy,

yep, you're committed now. Good first attempt on the rope. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick I expect. You might like to try the DMC Cordonnet thread after you work out how to use the machine. It produces a good looking fuzz free rope.

Regards,

Grant.

Paddy, you lucky man, wish you all the best with your new machine (toy). I am sure you will soon be making some lovely ropes.

Me green with envy :angry:

Regards

Martin.

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Rocker: Thanks for that. I now have it setup here in the den. Just turn my chair around and can begin to ropewalk.

Grant: Appreciate your comment and tip on the DMC Cordoned. I’ll begin a recon over the net. Not much in the way of selection in my outback area.

Martin: Cheers. I decided to sell a number of items that I no longer use on e-bay and added the funds to the Ropewalk Hope Chest. A great trade I think. :dancetl6:        

Work in Progress -

Paddy,

with regards to your rope making, I have just noticed you have made left hand rope from left hand thread. Try running the ropewalk in the opposite direction to make right hand rope from the left hand thread, this may erradicate the lumpiness. I remember having a similar result first up, reversing the direction brought immediate improvemnent, but our ropewalks are not comparable, so no promises on that. Also, I may have read somewhere that running rigging is right hand rope, and standing rigging (shrouds and stays) are left hand.

Regards,

Grant.

Grant,
I do thank you for studying the photos. You've taught me an important lesson. I was reading the twist of the thread wrong but I have it wired now. So, again thank you very much. I'll do another rope following your suggestion.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Nothing is worse than trying to hurry and getting the treenail stuck because you have been to keen to 'progress' it. Then it snaps. Then you realise the bits that are left are too small to be useful  :(

Joss

Nothing is worse than trying to hurry and getting the treenail stuck because you have been to keen to 'progress' it. Then it snaps. Then you realise the bits that are left are too small to be useful  :(

Joss

Hear, hear Joss.

On the left is the left hand rope from the left hand thread from yesterday and on the right is my second attempt using the left hand thread and setting up the machine to make right hand rope. Thanks again to Grant for the good eyes and pointing out the left hand twist of the thread I am using when I had been reading it as right hand thread………. :huh: 

I believe there is a marked improvement with the right hand rope.

post-2736-0-81853800-1370980247_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -

Paddy,

that looks much better. Just to further complicate things (if my experience is anything to go by), you will be able to use three lengths of the right hand rope to make a left hand rope, but don't bother trying to make right hand rope from your right hand rope. Therein lies madness. A tangled mess awaits.

Regards,

Grant.

Grant,

Thanks for the heads up on not trying to lay rope with the same twist as the previous strands. Here’s a quote from the document that Jim Byrnes sends with his Ropewalk that supports your comment.

Notice that the twist in each step is opposite of the preceding step. Twisting fibers (or yarns, or ropes) together creates a “mutual friction” which does two things: 1) it holds the elements together when a strain is applied to the finished product, and 2) it keeps the finished product from untwisting itself. By twisting successive elements in opposite directions, the parts will tighten back onto themselves, which accounts for much of the ultimate strength of the rope.  

Work in Progress -

Be careful of using tea since it is acidic. I have used fabric dye with good results. I have also used stain, but even that probably has some issues.

Russ

Following up with another staining experiment this time with some Artist Oil Colour in Burnt Umber, which I happen to have on hand.

Made a very thin wash and applied to some of the white cordage left over from the previous test.

post-2736-0-42648800-1371493307.jpg

Was the choice of material for the cordage in those days hemp? Wondering if that's the base colour one should try to simulate?

P.S. The magic mending tape rapped around the tube of oil is to seal a hole punched by one of my shop attack cats. :pirate41:  :) 

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

The cordage of the day would have been hemp. I think tan with a bit of grey would be about right. Nothing too dark.

Russ

Attack Cats you have to love them. Your color of rope looks good to me and again nice job of making it.

Later 42rocker

Nice looking rope Paddy. I like the color of the Burnt Umber.  But, maybe just a touch lighter.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

More ropewalk practice.

Make of thread: DMC Cordonnet (Grant suggested giving this a try and I like it. Fuzz at a minimum.)

Size: No. 30

Colour: ECRU

Pictured:

Small rope is 1 x 3 w/diameter of approximately .031 in. (possible use as gun tackle).

Large rope is 2 x 3 w/diameter of approximately .062 in. (possible use as breech rope).

Quarter scale Nine Pounder cannon.

post-2736-0-63607800-1371673975_thumb.jpg

According to the book by Brian Laqvery Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815, in 1716 breech ropes for 9 to 6 pounders should have a circumference of 4 in. Next step is to do the math and see where I am but I think the .062 in. diameter or circumference of .195 in. is a bit large. Well, off to a skull session now.

Does anyone know of a table that has the quarter scale ropes listed? :)

P.S. Going to try some DMC Cordonnet No. 100 in the Ropewalk next. 

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

A 4 inch circumference would be about 1 1/4 inch diameter. At 1/48 scale, the diameter would be .026 inches. That would be about right for your nine pounder. I checked a source from about a century later and that number was still used for the nine pounder breeching.  

Russ

Hi Paddy, I can't help with the sizes but the rope sure looks great!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Russ: Thanks very much. Appreciate the quick answer especially since converting 1:1 to some other scale I'm not quick at. :(

Rusty: Thanks for that. I'm getting better at the ropewalk the more I practice. One of the things that is important to pay attention too

is the size of the die you use based on the diameter of the thread you have loaded. You receive extra dies with the machine and its

up to the user to drill these for a snug fit between the thread and diameter of the bore.  

Work in Progress -