H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Paddy - Scale 1:48

Good catch there. I think I've had that same supervisor on some of my builds. Had to fire him more than once too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Good catch there. I think I've had that same supervisor on some of my builds. Had to fire him more than once too!

LOL!

After ripping a set of quarter and eighth inch spacers on the Byrnes saw I restarted the frame lay-up. So, we’re back to frames C and B. I’ve changed my technique a bit and now beginning to think the error I made has worked out as an opportunity to improve. Anyway, it’s good to be back to the frame raising and with more confidence than when I started. Thank you gents for your input.

P.S. My first chance to use that great little saw. What an impressive piece of equipment it is.

post-2736-0-19899300-1374528783_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-84390900-1374528783_thumb.jpg

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

That is an impressive set up for framing. You should be on your way now for sure.

Russ

Thanks Russ.

I've now found that the framing setup is much smarter than me. ^_^ Like my first pilot instructor said "this airplane knows more about flying than you ever will".  LOL. Was he ever spot on in more ways than one.

Work in Progress -

Nice work, Paddy.  Very clean and sharp. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking really good. I really like your method. Much nicer than the jig I used.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looking great. True and neat. Good start. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hello Paddy.

Very nice framing and your timber looks the part.

Well done on reaching this milestone :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks very much gents for your comments. Your knowledge and encouragement make this project possible for me. Also, I continue to thank Mike 41 for the design of the gantry type building board that if I use correctly makes the layup of the frames a much simpler process.

Again too, thanks to Russ for keeping an eye on the set of my sails and warning of possible knockdowns.

P.S. Pete, fairing, now there’s the rub and another coming challenge. Will be making up a noodle sander I think.

Work in Progress -

The last frame was laid up yesterday afternoon and I’ll be ready to add some reinforcing blocks between the frames before I start sanding. Have been trying to decide which wood to use, same as the frame wood? Going through Pete’s log this morning I see that he used cherry, same as his frame wood. So, that’s help me to make up my mind. First though I’ll make some frame clamps to hold the X section in alignment while I glue in the reinforcing blocks.

I would now ask if my thinking is in the ball park? ^_^ 

P.S. Would it be wise to install the keelson before starting to sand? 

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Your thinking seems spot on to me.

Myself, I would sand the flat in the floor first before installing the keelson, should make it easier to sand level for each side, then install the keelson for added support for sanding the rest of the frames.

Keep up the great work.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

The ninth frame is up. :dancetl6:

Something I think will help with the alignment clamps I’m going to make for installing the permanent cherry spacer blocks will be a set of temporary spreader bars for the top of the frames. If you look close at the top of the last frame I think you can see what I'm thinking.

Anyway, a new segment of the construction is about to get underway and I’m looking forward to it. A salute to the dockyard blokes for hanging in there. :pirate41: 

post-2736-0-99904500-1375227094_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -

Paddy,

Since your jig is somewhat different then other jigs, the spreader at the top is an excellent idea.  I think those of use who were early builders used the "Ewe Jig"... so the spreader was built-in.

Most of us in the past did use spacer blocks up high and you'll be surprised at how they lock everything into place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on the ninth frame. :cheers: 

Looking great Paddy.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

The framing looks good. The fillers will be a good addition. I used fillers on my cross section model and it created a really solid structure.

Russ

Hi Paddy.

Looking very nice. I keep looking at the colour of your frames and I think I will be changing to the same timber.

Gratz on the framing very neat and tidy.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Pete, Mark, Ron, Russ & Antony,

Thanks very much for your input and support gents. It all adds to the enjoyment of working on the project plus I'm learning a great deal from all you mentors.

P.S.

Hi Paddy.
Looking very nice. I keep looking at the colour of your frames and I think I will be changing to the same timber.
Gratz on the framing very neat and tidy.

Regards Antony.

Antony,

I like working with and the look of the cherry wood too. Some time back I did a test of Watco Danish Oil natural on the cherry and really liked the finish. If you decided to change to cherry wood on the frames I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Thanks for that Bob.

Spreader bars and frame alignment clamps are now in place. The frames lined up better than I thought they would when I tightened the clamps. So, the next step will be to start mounting the frame reinforcing blocks. I’m trying to decide just where but I guess on the horizontal along with the gunport sills and lintels. Won’t begin that until tomorrow so if any of you have suggestions please tell me what you think. It’s always appreciated.

post-2736-0-23510900-1375306208_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -

I would mount the fillers in the way of the wales. That way they are hidden under the wales.

Russ

Part of the decision as to placement of the blocks will depend upon the amount of planking you intend to do -- or put another way , the areas, if any, that you don't intend to plank. The blocks shouldn't be placed where there will be no planking.

Bob

Like Russ said I put them under wales and I also placed them at the top of the frames.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks very much Russ, Bob and Rusty.

Under the wales they’ll go then and that will provide room for any open frame area on lower futtocks that I may want to leave for structure viewing.

Also may install some blocks at the top of the frames as Rusty did.

Thanks again gents.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Filler blocks under the wale area have been installed. I’ll wait for overnight drying of the glue before starting on installing the gunport sills, lintels and some filler at the top of the frames.

post-2736-0-35304100-1375478247_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-03482500-1375478248_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -