H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Paddy - Scale 1:48

Thanks Pete. I need to stop messing about with this and get back to the framing. Since they're all ready for laying up I need

to get that started so I can see what adjustments and issues maybe instore for me. But, a few more turns on the Ropewalk with 

the No. 100 DMC to see how close I can come to the scale 4 in. breeching rope.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Continuing ropewalk practice.

Make of thread: DMC Cordonnet

Size: No. 100

Colour: ECRU (Natural)

Ropewalk: 2 x 3

Trying for: Breeching rope

A thin wash of Paynes Gray artist oil has been applied to the natural finish of the thread in an attempt to simulate the grayish tan that Russ mentioned for the hemp rope. The second picture is of a coil of actual hemp rope and allowing for the difficulty in trapping the actual colour in the photographs and the monitor we’re viewing this on looks close to me. Any comments or suggestions welcome.  

post-2736-0-54612000-1372186425_thumb.jpg

Credit Wikipedia for the following photo

post-2736-0-50743800-1372186643_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -

The rope looks good. I think that tan with a slightly greyish hue would be good. I like the color you have on that rope.

Russ

Thanks Russ. I like the colour too but will improve the way the wash is applied by mixing enough to drop the complete 

cordage in. I used a brush on this test and the finish looks a little uneven to me so I'll try a short soak with the next batch. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

I don’t want to paint the pewter cannons that I’ll probably be using so decided I would test soaking them

In ME Rail Weathering solution and see how it looked.

Photos are before, ME Solution, and after for two minutes soak time then rubbed out with a kitchen paper towel. I kind of like it.

post-2736-0-35902100-1372454732_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-65981100-1372454778_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-15921600-1372454835_thumb.jpg 

Work in Progress -

Paddy,

That did produce a nice finish, where do you get that from?

Hi David,

Purchased mine from a hardware store that has a model railroad department. So, probably any well supplied hobby shop.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

• 3 weeks later...

Finally..... laid up the first frame, "C", with glue to the keel. I don't want to hear anyone else saying they are slow. :huh:  ;)  :)

Note: The Keelson is only being used to help with the centering of the frame and is not glued.

post-2736-0-64079800-1373983605_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -

Hi Paddy, Ah you are off and running now! Looks good so far. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Paddy,

You're raising frames... cool..  Looks great and I like the way the guns turned out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rusty, Mark, and Bob,

Thanks gents. What time I had in the shop yesterday I spent studying just how I should

proceed with frames B and A and think I have it worked out. Now if the heat and humidity

would let up. It's a sticky wicket in the dockyard right now. Do have a big fan that covers

the work area though and helps make it tolerable. :)

Work in Progress -

Had a very enjoyable experience today as I went aboard the Pinta and Niña replicas as they are docked at Winona, MN on the Mississippi. About a 20 minute drive from home so may get to go again. Those caravels made me stop and think about the grand accomplishments they had so long ago.Had an informative conversation with one of the volunteer crew who answered many of my question and was very knowledgeable. That visit was a real keeper.

Back to our Tritons now. I’m really posting this information as I digress back to the colour I’ll use on my canon breech rope. Two of the photos just sealed the choice. Thanks again to Russ for pointing out the grey in the hemp.

Photo one: Pinta with Niña outboard

Photo two: Aboard Pinta

Photo three: Aboard Niña

post-2736-0-93135300-1374183327_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-14818500-1374190582_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-82209800-1374183412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Paddy,

are the Nina & Pinta full size replicas? I remember seeing the dimensions of these vessels several years ago. Once you realise the actual size of the vessels, the fact they survived the voyage at all is amazing.

Regards,

Grant.

Paddy,

are the Nina & Pinta full size replicas? I remember seeing the dimensions of these vessels several years ago. Once you realise the actual size of the vessels, the fact they survived the voyage at all is amazing.

Regards,

Grant.

Hi Grant,

Yes, that's my understanding. It was the first thing that struck me as I walked down to the docking area. I had no realization of how small they were until actually seeing them. Then on board the Pinta and looking down on the little Nina from the Pinta's (quarter?) deck I was stunned by how much smaller the Nina was.

There couldn't have been much room left after loading a year's supply of food, water and live stock too. They even had some horses that they kept in slings to keep them from being injured while aboard ship. As you say the more you learn the more you're amazed at their accomplishments. There were not that many visitors aboard when I was there and it made for a quiet time of reflection trying to imagine what they faced and what it was like those many unknown years ago. As you can tell I was moved by the experience. Just standing under the quarter deck and looking at the great tiller bar, which must be approx. 15 to 20 feet long on the Pinta, all kinds of images came to mind.

Anyway, if any of you get the chance go see them. A grand piece of history.

Photo one: Stern side by side gives you some idea of the relative size difference between Pinta and little Nina.

Photo two: Part of Nina’s rudder and tiller.

Photo three and four: The actual models that the shipbuilders in Valenca, Brazil used in the construction of Nina. For more interesting info go to www.thenina.com.

P.S. The openings along the cabin structure where not there on the originals as I understand but was a requirement of the Coast Guard for visibility when steering from the cabin area.

Update: I stand corrected if I understand what I read this morning. The Nina is an exact replica while the Pinta is changed in dimension some what. I apologize for that and may have miss lead you.

Update: 7/25/2013

On reading some more about the original voyage I think it is safe to say that in building the replicas one had to guess about  much of their construction as there is very little detail known about them, (Hope that doesn't get me into trouble), but they are still well worth seeing IMO. 

post-2736-0-03140300-1374237765_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-48937800-1374237866_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-21967200-1374237821_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-28956500-1374237904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Thought I’d give my ship mates a chuckle for the weekend just to let you know I’ve laid up two more frames in my clamping contraption. Not exactly setting my hair on fire, more like just moseying along. ^_^ Only six more to go now.

post-2736-0-16596500-1374354565_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-77409700-1374354565_thumb.jpg

Work in Progress -

Paddy:

So long as your spacing is working out okay, everything looks good so far.

Russ

Paddy:

So long as your spacing is working out okay, everything looks good so far.

Russ

Russ, I owe you a big thank you for pointing out a big possible miss step. After gluing up the forth frame, frame 0 in this case, I finally took notice that something in the milk wasn’t clean. Thinking about your previous comment that the frames were looking OK if the spacing was correct I positioned the rest of the frames on the keel and using the spacing I thought was correct found I would have ended with approximately 3/8 of an inch of the keel with no frame. WOW, I have messed in my nest big time. :pirate41:  After some self-discussion about being empty headed and cooling out a bit I began to soak the frame glue points with water until each frame released and could be removed from the keel. So, I will now begin again the frame layup with proper spacing.

Many thanks Russ for shaking the tree.

Work in Progress -

That is a common mistake. No worries. Just make sure you have the frame seating marked out on the keel itself. Keep a nice sharp pencil and you will be able to mark them where they need to go.

Russ

Paddy, you might try using spacers as I did. The spacing is either 1/4" or 1/8" and stripwood of those sizes provides an easy way to maintain proper spacing.

Bob

Glad you caught that one in quick time. As to proceeding slowly, the motto Russ has near the bottom of his posts is very appropriate....."T'aint a hobby if you hurry".

Regards,

Grant.

Yes, dodged a bad squall there. I’ve now replaced the previous supervisor and will watch this one more closely. ^_^

You're spot on about the motto Russ has. Very good advice. :)

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -