HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

Very nice Kevin! Your planking skills are improving with each video.

When you measure the distance between planks to establish plank thicknesses it might be better to use tick strips. The digital caliper does not take into account the curve of the hull and will read shorter than the actual distance.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Take a small strip of paper and abut it to the bottom plank or planking line. Then make sure the paper is lying on the frame and mark where the top plank crosses. This is the true distance between the frames. This tick strip can now be divided into the number of desired planks in tick marks. To prove this to yourself measure the distance as you are currently doing on a curved section of the hull then compare with the tick strip method as described. You'll see that your measurement is shorter than the tick strip and thus your planks may be  narrower than they should be.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Nice job!  Now for me to remember it all.

I was concerned about the metal end of your clamp maring the plank when turned to tighten and was imagining various ways to avoid it ... and then you showed the simple soft wooden nose piece add on solution.

Simple and effective... like everything you show us.

Thank you.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

The hull is shaping up nicely Kevin. On your next model (should you ever wish to plank again!) you'll learn how to install stealers and drop strakes to control the width of those planks at the bow and the stern.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

You forget that we did this on the internal planks. This would have been so much easier to do on the external planks but the book did not want us to use stealers, so we followed the book. I have to say this is the first time i shaped both ends of all the strakes  for the entire hull rather than force bending them into shape and what a difference it made. I was always worried that having to finish the open side of the plank would result in  irregular surface causing a difficult joint when the next row of planks was applied, but this turned out not to be so. I found  that the hand plane made it very easy to prepare a nice smooth line on the exposed side of the plank.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very clean, a place for everything and everything in its place.  👍

I've learnt that whatever you do when cleaning up, ignore all urges to reorganize because you'll never find that special tool once moved.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Are you going to show the after-cleaning photos Kevin? Just kidding, of course. I spent the day cleaning my shop as well. No guests, but I couldn't find anything anymore.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

When you dont know what you are doing you can purchase all sorts of useless crap on line. I purchased the gauges along with the portable valves (just to cover my donkey) to set up the Chinese knockoff of the Smith Little torch. The oxygen worked fine but when i tried to connect the gas gauge (LPG) there was no local supplier that could accommodate me with the CGA 200 connection on the gauge.  Then i went to at least 10 different wielding suppliers and non could help me find an adaptor. Thank goodness i purchased the small bottle valves. 
eventually i was able to hook up a medical oxygen bottle ( of which i have 2) to the Bernzomatic gas and got it to work. A real pain in the donkey 

B7D9C053-D4D8-4B79-BCB4-E91B6947672A.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like something I could do alot of damage with😏

Alan O'Neill

3 hours ago, AON said:

Looks like something I could do alot of damage with😏

I was thinking the same thing here.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)