HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

Harry this was quite a while ago and the pieces are now stuck in the model. I made a number of mistakes until I got the beams installed.once the beams are installed you can make the measurements off your model. If you look in  my draw you’ll see the results my many mistakes. I think because everyone’s model is slightly different they did not give detail dimensions. I remember having lots of discussions with Greg on this . It was after this I started keeping a written log.

image.jpg

just went back in the build to page 8 of the build log Video 50, time 7.33 discusses the same issue you are having. it seems what I did was make up the bottom slots for the beam and as I added the beams made the adjustments in the pins. ill look again and see if there is any other reference 

Nice job Kevin. There is no shortcut for those pieces. It's just make pattern, test fit, adjust, test fit, ad infinitum.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Kevin, thanks so much for your kind attention to my riding bit delemna. My problem actually is not the location of the pins, but their length. Maybe if I knew the height of the pin tops relative to the upper deck, I could apply that measurement to my model and come up with the correct pin length overall. Even a photo from the side of a completed model would help, if it showed the riding bits.
Henry

Kevin, thanks so much for your kind attention to my riding bit delemna. My problem actually is not the location of the pins, but their length. 

So, I measured the distance from the bilge to the top of the lower deck beam #5 in my build and added that to the measurements on your note to the top of the pins and came up with a pin length of 4.069”. Does that make sense? If so, I am left only with the remaining question of where you derived the measurements on your note….

Henry

I cant remember as that was so long ago. I still say the key is the location of the beams. The photos i shared give you a good  idea of the correlation. Looking back at the notes that i sent you it is clear that i was estimating the measurements above the main deck. They should have given us the measurements. I have it as 27” above the main deck.

This is why today i have a written log so i can tell you why and what i did. 

Henry, I'm away from my primary sources for awhile but I think you need the clamps and beams for both lower and upper decks in place before you cut the bitt pins to final height. So many variables involved.  Once the upper deck beam is temporarily fitted it is a simple matter to determine where the top of the bitt should fall.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Henry 50 inches will give you a reading on the caliper of 1.04” at 1/4” scale. As Greg says above, you need to establish the upper deck beams in place to accurately calculate the height.

. If you are going to measure the height just above the upper deck beam ( as i did) you will have to add 3” which is the thickness of the deck planking. So the measurement from the top of the upper deck beam to the top of the pin is 3+50 =53” or 1.102” on the caliper. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished converting all the coffeewood trees to planking material. I noticed some termite droppings so decided to get on the saws and cut everything up. It was a messy job but glad it is over. Only one piece of stock was infected. Ill spray all the balance. I now have enough for several models. 

58A344A7-11EE-4E1F-AE8D-86732074844E.jpeg

7A822EEA-28A0-4FFA-B016-6173439AD191.jpeg

294DCEF4-6B9F-42F7-8F02-D8268B9505BB.jpeg

Hi Yves

No it has no smell. Coffee is grown on a tree and very old plantations produce a trunk that can be 6” wide. when the trees become old and tall they are usually felled and the coffee grove replanted. The wood was i]usually discarded. One of the biggest challenges in building scale wooden models is seeing grain in the wood used to make the models. Coffee woods grain is almost invisible and the colour is as white as you are going to get. It has turned out to be a fantastic deck board or strake which gives great contrast to other woods used on the model . The deck of the Thorn is coffee wood. 

I was wondering where all those old Macs ended up.

Maury