Le Mirage by Sjors - FINISHED - Corel - Wood - 1:75

A little update.

It goes slow because I don't like those little deadeyes.

It seems that they have there own ways to do something!

I ask Anja if she wants to make those little things but no, I have to do it by myself…...

It looks messy and maybe it is, but I want to finish those THINGS !!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

post-48-0-09597200-1368977355_thumb.jpg

they are nasty little buggers aren't they. I thought the ones on the SF were tiny and hard to work with 1/4, but I see the ones on the syren are teensy tiny!!! Going to hate those!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Sjors, your progress looks good. The rigging is great because it lets you know you are close to being finished. Keep in mind though, we want more pictures too.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Sjors, for what the opinion of an amateur is worth, to me they look great.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Patrick and John,

Thank you….

And for the pictures you have to wait a little.

When I'm doing one or two lanyards each day, it gonna take a while.

Indeed, the deadeyes are looking OK Sjors! I hope you manage to concentrate more than I did: I always ended up having passed the rope in the wrong hole and had to do it all over again once or twice for each deadeye pair!  :angry: ... and I had only one mast!  :D

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thanks Adeline.

I have no problems with that.

When you've done it for 100 times, you know exactly how it works  :D

Mast at the back almost done…….

I hate those tiny deadeyes!

I hate those tiny deadeyes!

Why Sjors? If you use a Needle Threader to thread the line through them it's easy :) . The pics below are a demonstration using a 3mm block, but it works the same for deadeyes :

Needle Threaders 003.jpg

Needle Threaders 004.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

your back at it Sjors......that's what counts!   they look great!   just keep thinking to yourself......."I only have a hundred or so left to go!"

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

for tedious tasks like this its always good to set small goals and not look at the big picture. :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

When you get that needle threader, stick it to the end of a piece of dowel so you easier can get to those hard to reach places...

Better yet, they come in different styles. The one in the middle has a hard wire which replaces Seasick's dowel (it has a "normal" needle threader on the end which doesn't show well in the photo), and the one on the left has a very long wire - this comes in handy around the eyelets at the bottom of the masts :

Needle Threaders 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Morning Danny,

I never see those needles here.

But to be honest, I'll never looked for it  ;)

I think it's gonna be another visit to the city today.

I have no problems with putting the rope to the eyes ,but the chain around the deadeyes are to large.

So the deadeye turns everywhere that I don't want.

It's only the deadeyes on the mizzenmast.

The other ones are bigger and they keep in place.

I hope that I can finished those things today and can go further at the main mast.

But first into the rain to see if we can find those things.

I have no problems with putting the rope to the eyes ,but the chain around the deadeyes are to large.

Hi Sjors,

Do you mean that the kit Chains are a bit too large in diameter and the deadeye keeps turning around? You should have squeezed them tighter before you fitted them to the chainplates (remember that for the next model :) ).

No problem, it's easily fixed. Just carve a small wedge and push it between the bottom of the deadeye and the chainplate like in my diagram. Rig up the deadeye and remove the wedge - use it on the next one if needed.

Deadeye Wedge.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Danny,

I'm almost done with those small ones and then you come up with a solution  :D  :D  :D

This one goes into the map with great tips!

But you never know, maybe someone else have the same problem and see this.

We got that tool that you shows us.

Here it calls a Wilhelmina  :D

Never knew this…...

Thanks.

Edited by Sjors

I forget the picture with the Wilhelmina…..

The other "thing" is even smaller then the Wilhelmina.

So for the very tiny holes I have also a tool.

Don't ask me how it called, I really don't know!

post-48-0-97098300-1369133438_thumb.jpg

Sjors  & Danny -

Do they make those in micro sizes?  The deadeyes on my Harriet Lane are only 2.5mm in diameter, and the wire on the smallest threaders I have found locally is the same diameter as the holes in the deadeye - no way to fit the two wires through and still be able to pull the doubled line through the hole.

Had to settle for hardening the end (about 10mm) of the line using thin CA and trimming back as it gets bent from my poor aim trying to thread it through the holes.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Well, I'll be, wish Dan had told me about those wedges...would have solved 3/4 of my problems. You're right Sjors, something to file away for the next time! I have those regular needle threaders, need to find me the long flexible wire ones for those bottom deadeyes, they will make things much easier.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Sjors  & Danny -

Do they make those in micro sizes?  The deadeyes on my Harriet Lane are only 2.5mm in diameter, and the wire on the smallest threaders I have found locally is the same diameter as the holes in the deadeye - no way to fit the two wires through and still be able to pull the doubled line through the hole.

Had to settle for hardening the end (about 10mm) of the line using thin CA and trimming back as it gets bent from my poor aim trying to thread it through the holes.

Attaboy Wayne......old school.  CA, tweezers and a magnifier (+scissors to keep cutting it back).  My kinda guy!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hahaha.  I just like tradition.  Struggle=success (and builds character).  I have 2 of those needle threaders ...... never use 'em.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sjors  & Danny -

Hi Wayne,

Those things ARE very small, I believe the size is…0,000000000001 mm and the other one are even smaller…...

The long ones we can not find so I have to do it with those that we bought ( after a nice walk in the rain )

Well, I'll be, wish Dan had told me about those wedges...would have solved 3/4 of my problems. You're right Sjors, something to file away for the next time! I have those regular needle threaders, need to find me the long flexible wire ones for those bottom deadeyes, they will make things much easier.

Hi Robbyn,

When I read your answer ,I know that my walk in the rain was not for nothing  :D

Glad to help you with new ideas…..

Maybe we cab write a book with helpful tools and jigs?

And I don't mean the lathe and saw and that kind of stuff.

But just those things.

Attaboy Wayne......old school.  CA, tweezers and a magnifier (+scissors to keep cutting it back).  My kinda guy!!!!!

Augie,

Old school is most of the time the best.

But I think when you find the way to do it as you like, then you have to stay with that . ;)

But trying something new is also not so bad…...

And because I'm still a young man I try everything  :D

Just ask Anja …... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

How is the visit going?

Is you brother-in-law already working at his own build?  :)

Almost done with the entertaining.  It's good to have visitors in your own area once in a while.  You get to do things you normally don't do!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Do I want to know what kind of things they are???????

But my friend, I need your help over here with the entertaining…..

So, give the man a train ticket!  :D

Wow, I was not aware people could actually rig without a needle threader: I would have given up the rigging without it, never having been able to get a  rope go through a needle hole without it!

Do make sure you have several of them in stock: they do break sometimes...  ;)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi Adeline,

Normally I don't use anything….

Not even a needle…..

I glue the top of the wire a little and then it goes easily true the holes.

But you have to try everything, so why not that thread thing  :)

I have see on Grant his build log a jig for the deadeyes.

I have copy that and it works perfect!

Thanks Grant.

A few pictures to show what I have done.

Next is to start with the lanyards.

post-48-0-41494500-1369222117_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-06553900-1369222125_thumb.jpg

Nice to see you using that jig Sjors, but credit where credit is due please - that jig originally came from EdT, posted in his Victory log. It's good to see it popping up again - I think Robbyn (Shaz) used it after I pointed her in that direction too. It really does make the shroud work easier and gives a nice straight line of deadeyes. Yours are looking great my friend.

looking good Sjors........I'll have to use that idea when I get to do the Gothenborg ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch