ECHO Cross Section by Trussben - FINISHED - 1:48

Well All - Here is the beginning of my Scratch Building career, I chose the ECHO cross section from Admiralty Models because of the work by Greg & David in the TFFM books that I own and intend to build a Swan class one day but needed something easier than a full model to start with.
This is going to be very slow to begin with as I am working on my Confederacy which is about half way completed and will be taking most of my limited modelling time.
Also I am still building up my collection of tools, I have plenty of hand tools and a beautiful Dewalt scroll saw, but I still wish to get a JimSaw and thickness sander - however I will start with hand tools for most of the work.

The first pic is the wood framing package from AM which is supplied to them by Jeff @ Hobbymill, Its Boxwood and machined to the sizes that are called for in the plans, there seems to be quite a bit of material supplied above what would be needed to actually frame the model for those Opps moments which Im sure I will have plenty of in my learning curve. ;)

I have been watching the great starts that others here have made on this and hope that I can acheive something close to them. BTW the first version I make will be just the hull framing, no planking or internal framing, then I will make a second version which will be the full Monty.

And here we go!!

ben

post-234-0-47519900-1364570643_thumb.jpg

Here is the keel that I have made using only a razor saw, chisel and a file. The black joints are made using art paper of a thickness 0.008. I will be using Titebond wood glue for the entire build. Its not perfect as you could get with a table saw but I think its pretty good for a first attempt and I may well make another but I want to practice making the false keel and rising wood and carving the rabbit before I do any retrys.

ben

post-234-0-50330400-1364570893_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-27389500-1364570894_thumb.jpg

Nice Start Ben On your C.S..... Going to fun to watch your progress............

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Hee Hee. I see you've joined the club of three at once! Nice start and though the Jim saw

makes it easier there's no reason you can't achieve great results with hand tools.

Yes the tree nails are seen on both sides. The hardest part, for me, is getting a straight drill through.

I’ve been known to mark both sides and drill each side and meet in the middle just to be safe.

You’re off to a great start.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Rusty, yeh 3 at at time for the next two weeks, that's how close the longboat is.

I bought some scale brass rivets 0.5mm for the keel treenails but I will have to use a #80 drill bit so we shall see how many I break.

Hi Ben,

Just want to wish you luck with this.

I'll be sitting next to you at your worktable and keep an close eye to you.

Don't ask me anything about this because I'm now a real novice!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

The 'treenails' through the keel are actually bolts and, yes, they go all the way through. If you don't have a drill press, drill from both sides to get them in the right places.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks Druxey for the info, bad terminology on my part as I did know they were bolts. I ordered brass scale rivets from scalehardware the same as Greg used, 0.5mm head diameter, but the shaft is 0.034 which is a #80 drill bit and I have no bits or way to drill all the way through, so I printed out the plans and cut out the keel section with a razor, I will use this to mark out both sides and drill them from each side.

Ben

It's great to see you crossing over to the "darkside" Ben.  Nice work on the keel.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Trussben,

I drill the wholes for the treenails from both sides and only 1.5-2mm long with a hand drill. It works very well and you don't broke the drills.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Ben,

Nice to be here for the start of your "darkside" career. If your kit building standards are anything to go by, then we're in for a real treat with this.

An update of the Keel.

The 0.5mm Rivets were installed as per loaction on the plan.

False Keel harris joint was cut and black paper added and then glued to the bottom of the keel.

Rising wood took quite a few hours to make using nothing but hand tools and I think it came out ok but we shall see.

Now onto carving the rabbit in the keel - The part I have dreaded the most up to now, muck it up and I can throw away several hours of work, but I guess its all good practice anyway! :o

ben

post-234-0-65106700-1364669518_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-33208800-1364669533_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-19943000-1364669547_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-87333300-1364669571_thumb.jpg

Your Keel Assemply looks very nice there Ben.....

Ben you can make a nice little scrapper for your rabbet by using you dremel on a straight razor and simply run it across the assemply to create your rabbet...

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks CRF and Druxey for the advice on the rabbet, first off I am going to try practicing on scrap using my v gouge chisel, if I cannot achieve good results then I will try the scraper.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I don't know a thing about it but it looks sharp!

Only one thing……take care of the words you are saying….remember that I'm still sitting next to you at the workbench    :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Very nice work Ben! I'm looking forward to following your build.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Thanks Greg, just bought the drill and tap today at the local model shop as well as a couple of 6-32 screws. May get time this weekend to get that done.

Now another question for you guys, what size and materials did you make your building board from, I was thinking some 3/4 inch MDF but suggestions are very welcome.

Ben

Hi Ben, I would think that as long as it is big enough for the squares you will use

for raising the frames and won’t warp or flex you’re good. I just used some stuff I

had laying around. It is the same 8 ply plywood that I used for the Bomb cross

section. Very rigid and flat.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout