Soleil Royal by Hubac's Historian - Heller - An Extensive Modification and Partial Scratch-Build

Just beautiful, Marc.

Bravo!

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Your paintwork and carving is beyond incredible, Marc. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Going through the thread and I wonder if the so call 1669 berain drawing is really the 1st SR, because the quarter gallery are closed when they're supposed to be open and the windows arrangement don't correspond to what was described for the royal louis and other ships from the time period also had this 6 windows with 1 space in the middle arrangement. The drawing remind me more of what berain proposed for the refit SR than the 1st one.

The Berain drawings date to the time of the refit.  Berain does not officially become designer of ornament to the King’s arsenals until after Lebrun’s death in 1690, but his famous stern drawing is a re-working of the original design by Puget - the underlying conception for which was established by LeBrun.

B0BF9883-862C-4155-BC73-C318A159ED56.thumb.jpeg.7341ce3e440cf5a2087718079009a992.jpeg

62328A11-F0CC-4905-AA44-FDE98AA9A4B6.thumb.jpeg.94d6de08958e68c920a26ffea3c6c318.jpeg

The quarter drawing, I have argued, is consistent with the evolution in QG design (closed lower bottle on middle deck level, wrapping main deck balcony, QD amortisement), in the 1680s.  There is strong correlation in the design elements that make up the windows and decorative rails between quarter and stern drawings.  What is somewhat confusing to me is that this quarter drawing lacks the flawless continuity of the stern drawing; there are design problems with the quarter drawing that would lead to an impractical construction, if taken literally.  Also, this drawing shows the extremely pronounced aft sheer that would have been a feature of 1670 (see how the wales/precients are cut completely by the aft ports), yet the stern height is definitely not as high as that time period.

42B2A879-BAD4-4674-BF42-4B45F20D777B.jpeg.d2c8b810fc36b26f18f8052f3eb0ad5a.jpeg

Also baffling is the cropping of the image.  At the right margin, the drawing ends in a soft line, but the angle of that line, relative to the digital right margin, makes it seem as though the ocean water is cascading downhill and that the ship is sinking, bow first.  Rotate the drawing 15 degrees counterclockwise and one’s perception of the thing changes dramatically.

All of this suggests that the heading, “Bouteille du Vaisseau…” is a later notation than the date of the drawing.  It is the heading that has determined the modern cropping of the drawing.  Why it is notated at such an odd angle to the original intent of the drawing is anyone’s guess.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Also, I might add, that this headrail arrangement is indicative of this later evolution in head construction in the 1680’s:

363EF8E8-1F8C-4E8B-A291-E568C279E3FD.jpeg.20ee528fb4137e9920f4e3b7bfd4c0fb.jpeg

And a dated (1692) drawing of Le Terrible, also by Berain:

E7C63F18-A377-416A-908F-D0B8007259EC.jpeg.d61076349631427d5f3c3aa3475f32ae.jpeg

In contrast to the 1670’s:

6239BA27-4FB2-4114-A176-AE2E7614AD3B.jpeg.2c16e49e9fef5757a0c8c42a1ad262cb.jpeg

881FD472-AEFA-489B-AADB-994ED6F6FB86.jpeg.41b357ac2902e19ae1b345ed115e9458.jpeg

Your image of Bouteille du vaisseau le Soleil Royal is weird! My suspicion is that the image was rotated 15 degrees, as you point out; but whoever did that then turned the title in PhotoShop or similar to make it horizontal again. Otherwise it makes no sense at all. In any case, what purpose was there in rotating the image to begin with? "I guess the back end has to line up with the edge of the page!"

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Yeah, it’s completely bizarre.  The same style of notation appears on other drawings, both earlier and later, and they are absent of these anomalies.

The Royal Dauphin of 1668:

D39D3D0B-AE7D-4B54-862D-C7F622DDFAB8.jpeg.53ed8e22074fbcbcbd7376598af6b68a.jpeg

0BFCFA77-9BC7-46F5-AF66-48DB0AFB23C7.jpeg.03c0f852f6561ff84e0de6c11f3df573.jpeg

SR’s interiors, circa 1689:

300B3CD2-20FF-48C9-9DF7-DB1B5C5C3A3C.thumb.jpeg.511712b048502180887c506714338d6c.jpeg

L’Agreable, 1697:

2A529727-CDA4-49B4-8D7B-1F3B9429D277.jpeg.af000b1a2cc5a7b64c083e4703fe4c48.jpeg

Maybe it's related to the restauration of the image, tho I'm not sure if it'd mean rotating the image like that, on the restored old books I saw during my 1 week internship at the haguenau library, they didn't rotated stuff, and it wasn done in the old not restored book I saw in the "fond patrimoniaux" either(I got the chance to look at XVth century book there btw).

Which level and pilar are you referring to?  As for the painting of the figures, it is my belief that they would have been painted in a more naturalistic way, as was done decades earlier on the Vasa.  All of my figures, and there are quite a number of them on this ship, are done this way.

You clearly have a steady hand! Well done.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Even with the column alignment issue, the stern you did still look verry good and the colors are vibrant. On the balcony, I plan to keep what heller originally did and enlarge them so they'd fit the new breadth, the 4th season figures will remain the same. If one increase the rear breadth, is it obligatiory to do the same with the bow? I've seen you did that on your.

Thank you, Aurelien.  Imperfection is just baked into a piecemeal process, such as this, but results have far exceeded my original expectations for this project.

To answer your question, I do not think you can satisfactorily widen the stern without also widening the bow.  None of this is possible without cutting away the lower hull, and you have decided to do that.  This is good.  The problem, if you were to attempt to widen the stern without widening the bow, is two-fold; for one, you would be introducing significant tension to the joint where the stem halves meet, and you would also introduce an unnatural re-curve of the bow deadwood into the stem.  Think of it as though your bow suddenly has cleavage, when really it would be better to remain flat, so to speak.

Looking at your Sunday post and colour photo of the stern to date, I am just speechless! The colours are so striking and your painting skills second to none. Getting that absolutely clear definition of highlight detail over background in the contrasting shades is quite beyond me, and I suspect many others. Something we all strive for but rarely achieve. It's a real tonic seeing your progress.

I hope you and your family have a restful and enjoyable Christmas and wish you continuing success and pleasure in your project in the new year (and in everything else too, of course)