Hr.Ms. Evertsen 1894 by amateur - Answer - 1:200 - CARD - protected cruiser

Today I received a new modelkit, a paper one, by the Polish firm Answer.

It is a paper model ofa Dutch protected cruiser from 1894, named Evertsen. I checked the internet, and I can notfind any completed models. 

I can't promise that I start soon with the build, as I recently moved, have a garden to do, still have a paid job, and a couple of models in various stages of completion. But who knows.....

I can't figure out why Answer chose this protected cruiser, there were more that were larger, more elegant, and were more famous (check protected cruiser Gelderland, that was the most famous of all). Evertsen had around 20 years of coastal duty, but never fired a gun 'for real', and ended on the breakers yard just before the first wold war.

secondly, I van't figure out why Answer chose this livery: almost all Dutch ships of that era had three colourscheme's over their life span. Blach hull, white hull, yellowfunnels, both with gilded scrollwork onbow and stern, and finally a dull light gray, that was used for hull, superstructure and scrollwork. Guess what colourscheme Answer used. Yep, you guessed it :)

to get some idea on my task ahead, some pics of the model, which came together with lasercutted frames, some PE-details, and a couple of brass guns.

6B79F587-80E6-4ABE-97B2-B66E83BD47E1.JPG

0F12A84F-034C-4BB3-8175-C36315BF5C3A.JPG

687582D1-CCE1-4A5D-A3BE-636803B1CC1F.JPG

FC51DCDC-B4FD-44E4-B27E-B3CE3A6FF6A3.JPG

AFB9135A-FD92-458A-808A-2C61E94881E6.JPG

FBC9A6A1-1776-4075-B354-257B10453C3A.JPG

To give you some idea on the original, a couple of pics, there isn't many more, as the ship led a rather quiet, not to say dull life....

the pic with the three white ships is taken in Amsterdam, and Evertsen is the middle one. The ships had higher masts in this pic, as they were wired for radio-receiving equipment that was used for communication with the far east.IMG_0287.JPG.48d670bac37d8c1b575d052049e1f7e9.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

it make no difference which medium it is,  it's always nice to see kits of lesser known ships being produced.   there looks to be quite a bit to her.....should prove to be an interesting build ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have only built one kit from Answer, but that was a Fiat CR.42 Falco. The printing was very nice (I have the model on my desk here at work), but the diagrams were a bit lacking. I wish you well on this build, whenever you get to it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Great looking subject Jan, I look forward to following along when you decide to make a start. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Yup, an interesting project for sure. Some Dutch naval history is always welcome to this old navy brat ;)

Good luck with the build Jan, whenever you decide to start on it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'll be following along too Jan. I hope you can make a start on her soon.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

But I did something I perhaps shouldn't have done: As I was a bit interested in the size of the model, I put together the laser-cut framing. (still without glue). And What I "feared" is true: 1:200 in paper is far, far smaller than in wood scale 1:100 :)

The midd-frame is in tow parts, as are the "false decks' to get the frames in the correct position.

IMG_2510.thumb.JPG.0d1a4c1f817cb7cc667cf4b95507c0ee.JPG

IMG_2512.thumb.JPG.58700840a67c731fb9f0a7315794cef5.JPG

I guess that this is where this log stops now, I will try to find some time to start on V108, and open a log for that one.

I glued the frame-parts to a piece of cardboard, which - as expected - went 'non-flat' in all posiible directions at once (and yes, this pic was taken after the piece of cardboard rested under a couple of heavy books overnight :) )

IMG_2509.thumb.JPG.c4ca2d3eddacb855efdc256dea060dd1.JPG

To be continued (some time in the future)

Jan

35 minutes ago, amateur said:

What I "feared" is true: 1:200 in paper is far, far smaller than in wood scale 1:100

Yep, exactly half the size, and not just in wood :D.

No reason to panic just yet Jan ;). First off - the card you used looks to be a rather nasty one. It obviously has a "grain", and therefore will bend much more readily in one direction than the other. Perhaps gluing the parts at 90 degrees may be an easy fix. Otherwise I suggest you invest in a couple of sheets of good quality card and start over.

Second - cut out the whole area to be laminated from the full sheet of card, dampen it SLIGHTLY and leave under flat weights until you are ready to start cutting. Can't hurt to try it :).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks, and yes, 1:200 is half the size of 1:100, I know, but still, seeing the size of the model in your hand make you realize that it is really small :) (although, with 42 centimeters, it is still a model of some size)

I started cutting the V108 bottom, and the positve news was that the card could be bent flat quite easily when the parts were cut out. The problem is that in this thickness (just under 1mm) my artshop only had this rather coarse greyboard. The nice ones start at thickness of around 1.5 mm, which is too thick for this model. 

Dutch shops in my area tend to have large amounts of rather glossy coloured thin cardboards, but not so much in the thicker stuff, also the assortment of printable thick paper is small: 80, 120 and 160 grams. 160 grams is around .25 mm thick. For the larger parts, I would have liked paper of around 200 grams, but that was only available in postcard-size. 

Jan

Good news about the card being able to be flattened :). If you want to get some good card of the right sizes try buying some from GPM in Poland - it's specially made for card models, great quality, and comes in various sizes. I suggest you buy a lot more than you need, and maybe also some other accessories (PE etc) to make the postage worthwhile.

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, amateur said:

Frames look a bit small to use as a basis for gluing the skin on.

That's usually a problem Jan. I glue a bit of extra card each side of the frames to give some more gluing surface. I've seen others glue a strip of thin card onto the edge of each frame, but you would have to trim or sand the frames down the thickness of the extra card otherwise the skins won't fit properly - there's usually no margin for error.

I'd also suggest gluing at least one extra piece longitudinally between the frames to avoid "squashing" the skins when fitting them. There is no need to glue the skins to the extra bracing, it's just a safety measure.

Cheers, Danny

Yes, additional skin support is an option.

Although the frames are reasonably close to each other, it might be worthwhie to do. My (theoretical till now) problem is that the hull below the waterline follows some nicely curved lines, resulting in both convex and concave surfaces. I have some difficulty to imagine how the outside of the braces should be: most importantly: I can imagine the curved lines, but am not sure whether or not I will be able to get the paper follow that line, or that the paper will ly flat between the frames.

Jan

Edited by amateur
getting rid of some awfull typo's :)