HMS Victory by Yon - Caldercraft 1:72

OK so I've registered a new account and I'll now post some of the pictures I have at this location that were in my build log.  I hope fellow CC Victory builders do the same as the help of their logs was invaluable.

I'm going to try and post 5 pictures per post

post-464-0-83421700-1361020542_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-80788400-1361022306_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-10633100-1361022356_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-05529000-1361022401_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-66855700-1361022443_thumb.jpg

Welcome back!  Good to see you survived the storm and have got some of your pics back up.  Just re-opened my HMS Victory build log too.  No pics up yet but will be soon.  Hope to see all the Victory builders back again.  Keep up the good work, she's looking good!

Patrick

Hello Yon was wondering if you new what was going on i basically found out through Facebook,when i logged on this morning i saw that Gill had  been in here but no log up as of yet,hope he does put it back was easier to understand then the manual

DEREK S

Hello there yon

Welcome back . I just said in my log you would be organized. Derek s was asking me about you . He as decided for some reason to change he's name to .... Ocean clipper .... I said it should be ... old steam tug. Any way thanks a lot yon, I look forward to all your updates.DAVID

Thanks for your last post, hope all is ok, I have just had a bit of help from you. I decided to make up the cats heads and see how they fitted, and there they are on your log. What I was thinking was to maybe use the beach strip as the continuation from the bottom of the catheads support bracket onto the upper head rail, as this would be simpler than using brass profile. Anyway the best of luck with your build. Are you far off starting the galleries, let me know. Cheers yon. DAVID

Hi David

I forgot to mention on my log that I did not use the brass profile. I tried heating it up as per the instructions but it was far too tough to bend it to the required angle.  If you can get the beach strip to bend enough without breaking then that would be a better solution.  I used styrene strip which was easily shaped but, of course, you have to have some lying around ! Anyway, good luck with the catheads.

I'm currently making up the waiste steps and hand rails.  I'm thinking of leaving the galleries until I've finished the quarterdeck fittings and the poop.  Right now I think I need a break as I've been working on my Victory 3 days solid and barely been outside - its becoming a bit of an obsession !!

Cheers

Yon

Hi Yon,

Thanks for reposting.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Good to see you a Vic again, Yon. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Yon

Great to have you back here too - and your Vic looks great!!

Cheers,

Rosmarie

In my shipyard:

HMS Victory 1:72, Caldercraft (wood): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/416-hms-victory-by-romiol-caldercraft-172/

Schwarzer Rabe (Fluyte 1672) Shipyard, Card, 1:96: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/424-schwarzer-rabe-fluyte-1627-by-romiol-shipyard-card-196/

Hi Rosmarie, Mark and Mort

Thanks for looking in - the site is slowly returning to normal with all the familiar builders getting their logs back up.

Over the last 4 days I've been busy on my build mainly around the waist with the ladders & hand rails, Barricade, Brest beam and main companionway.  I even had a go at the netting for hammocks which I think turned out OK.

Here are some pictures

Cheers all

Yon

post-464-0-44499300-1361217766_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-23983400-1361217786_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-18293800-1361217799_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-47562100-1361217811_thumb.jpg

Hello Yon That netting looks nice was thinking do i do that or not,to be honest i had a job even finding some even our local model railway shop did not stock it,just be carefull you do not catch it with your arm,one of the resons i am putting that bit up as late as poss,but great looks  neat really

DEREK :pirate41: :pirate41:

Hello Yon, happy to have this build back! I like it very much!

daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Daniel - thanks for the comment - much appreaciated.

Hi Derek - Thanks, we don't have much in the way of model shops in Jersey so I have to source everything online.  For the netting I used some old net curtains and painted them black.  Attaching them was not difficult just a bit tedious. I hear what you say about catching them on my arm - between the hammock cranes and the boomkins disaster can't be far away !

Cheers

Yon

Greetings yon

All is looking good. I do agree with derek on the netting, you can easily snag it. I have looked about for something to use and all I have came across Is the mesh they use for the wrapping of garlic. You see it in supermarkets, then I seen it mentioned on someone's log saying it was not a good choice, so curtain seems the best bet up to now. You must be just about ready for the poop deck and stairs now. Anyway keep up the good work. Crack on ...DAVID

Hi David - I know the stuff you mean - it might be a little too flexible - I'll have a look at it next time I'm out shopping.  I recall that Gil called the material he used "tulle" which I think is either the same as net curtains or similar.  I still have a few bits to do before the poop - cannons for one thing.  Making up the cannon for the deck below nearly put me off the build altogether so I think I may stagger that job a bit - Cheers

Hi Gary  Thanks for your comment - Although I've complained about some aspects of the kit, overall I would agree that it is a great kit and lots of fun to work on.

Hello Yon,

I am enjoying your posts and appreciate your taking the time to let newbies like me see your progress.  I'm waiting for deliveryof my Victory from England and realize how posts like yours and others will help me so much.  Thanks again and the best to you.  Jerry

Gee such a beauty. Your build is spectacular. Your attention to details and their replication are awesome. I'm only doing my second build, and love too learn from such masters.

MJD

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Jerry - Many thanks, I look forward to following your build log once your Victory arrives

Hi MJD - Many thanks for your comments. Your Wasa is very impressive - I have  built one Corel model and appreciate how difficult they can be.  Good luck with the rest of your build - I shall follow with great interest

Cheers

Yon

she is coming along very well, yr miles ahead of me now

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin.  Thanks - I'm ahead in some respects but have still not tackled the quarter galleries.  You did a great job with yours.  To be honest I'm finding that whole stern area a bit daunting.  Looking forward to you getting back to your build.

All the best

Yon