Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Matti, I've been following for a while but not commenting.  Do have to say that those outside shots look absolutely fantastic, great colour choices very skillfully applied. Very well done indeed.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Nice work on the flag Matti.   For sails, do them essentially the same way.... drape them over something close to the shape you want and paint them with the glue mixture.  Some have hung them by the corners, stiffen with wire and then painted.   Also, there's this:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-rigging-and-sails.php    See John Tilly's article.

You'll do great. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here are the two I've done, they still need the iron details on the sides.

I made them smaller compaired to what the BB plans suggested to get them in better scale.

They could definately be better but it's my first attempt to wood carving and its very different to me.

post-3739-0-38243500-1394207209_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-36350900-1394207211_thumb.jpg

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Bit of trivia for you, Matti ...

You've turned out those two gorgeous "jacks" in the same amount of time it took me to Google Translate "knektar".

Damn !! That's impressive work !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I think those look great mate!.They are not the easiest of jobs at that size :huh: One question for you,am I going mad,or have you added some pics at the start of your log?I had been wondering what provision you had made for the cannons on the lower decks and now there are some photos that answer my question :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

forgot to tell you what an excellent job you did on the flags, thats a great idea on how to form and shape them, they look so real!! Nice job!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Matti,

I've been holding comment on your build as I'm too awed and cannot figure some words to describe how beautiful the model looks.  That flag looks real. 

I visited the Vasa back in 1972. I understand now that the preservation technique has changed for the better.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Steve, ah thanks for telling me their english name, sorry! ;) Mine do have problems and crudeness, but when I started this build I wanted to accept that it's my first time for many techniques so they will be used as they are.

Nigel, hmm, nope, no added pics but I didn't use the insert option but linked them the first posts, so the pics seem to be missing sometimes.

Frank, thank you!

Sos, many thanks, I'm glad for your comment and am really impressed by your finished build!

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Nigel, it was really tricky to get that stage right. Having to estimate the correct lines and then not know until way later in the build.  

Lawrence, thanks for the kind words mate! They will help me to continue the work with the other jacks.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti. Your cannons and carriages look very, very nice.  I am in the process to begin with them but before I want you to ask something:

You write that  you painted the cannons with a black/grey mix of paint, with a good sanding before. Have you tried another method as a primer, a bath of vinegar, or something else before the paint? or definetly you recommend the sanding.

Saludos, Karl

Karl, I painted the carriers in black and dark gray (acrylics) and then used brown and gray acrylic washes.

The brass cannons I sanded with steel wool. Then black spray, I think it's called solvent based in english, a regular spray paint good for metal. After that brown and black acrylics and finally brown acrylic washes.

The scratched wood cannons are just painted with the acrylics described above.

The wheels where painted like the brass cannons but less brown, and more gray at the highlights.

I'm used to the steel wool technique, but usually there's many ways to do things in modelling. overall It worked fine but some repainting where done after they where constructed, superglue can cause paint to come lose. And they end up really fragile, especially the scratched cannons.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thank you very much for your tips.  I saw a technique using vinegar to darken the bronze and apparently is quite easy.  I will try and compare your method with the vinegar one and to see how it works.

By the way, and mainly by curiosity, in the manual it appear the wire  F39 to fix the cannons in the carriers but F409 fits much better, which of the two did you use? I think the kit manufacturers probably made a mistake with the wires because for the stern lantern (that I already made and you can see it in my last post) in one Manual appear as F409 but in another Manual it is F410.

Saludos, Karl

Great work Matti, I love what you are doing here, it's very impressive.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hola Matti, thanks for your advice.  

And about using the materials that best fit is a good idea unless you need to need them after and can be very difficult to find the replacement (specially in a little town in Mexico!!).

Your "knektars" are really nice!

Karl

You have amazing talent Matti..... carving those small pieces is way beyond my patience...... and eyesight! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)