HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

I like the way your aft funnel turned out! I'll be trying my hand on that one pritty soon.

1 hour ago, RGL said:

The funnel grill is not on the PE fret, it’s from spares but you could just use railings really.

I've got enough left of that, I'll be replacing the reels with leftovers, Nice PE alternative for that life raft platform. Was thinking amongst the same line. I'll be using 0.5mm brass rod, as well for the supports of the gun platforms.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, no luck finding the kit, doing my scan of my usual suppliers. I do have a DKM Z-39 in the same scale, but have quite a full plate right now. I'll follow you lads for now.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I don't do ebay. We had words some time back about credit cards. :(

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I only do E-bay if there is a buy it now on the product......I feel the bidding process is rigged somewhat.   a tip from a friend helped me a lot though with my purchase of the U.S.S. United States....and I got a hell of a deal!  the kit normally sells for $89.99, but I got it for $45.00 {shipping included}.   when bidding on a product,  someone can post a 'silent bid',  which cannot be seen,  but will over rule your bid if it's too low.   I feel this is a effort to boost the return on the product being auctioned off.........by the time you win your bid,  your paying much more that you either really wanted to,  or than what the product is worth.  should you not win the bid,  rest assured...you'll see the product up for bid again on the morrow,  trolling for the fool that will win and pay the ridiculously inflated price.

I saw that other offering Carl........I took the one that cost $51.94  ;) 

......still waiting....twittering my thumbs........you'll both be done before I even get the blasted kit! :rolleyes:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis,

29 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

you'll both be done before I even get the blasted kit!

I think not. First steps are quick, but now come the improvements, which will cost far more time because of it's size. Yesterday I did 9 vents, just regular parts of the kit, cutting cleaning, and mounting those took me the better part of an hour if not more! Consider the time needed to start fussing with PE, especially making parts from scratch, like RGL's funnel improvements ... you, on the other hand, can follow at a leisurely pace, look what we did, and decide if you want to do the changes we added or stick to the model

Carl

your both right of course......I have plenty to keep myself busy till then :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

funny.......my wife tells me the same thing :huh:    wonder if they talk on Face Book?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

.I have plenty to keep myself busy till then

You mean the other 129 builds you still have to finish ;)

as she rolls her eye

She still does!? mine just sighs, and continues with what she was doing ...

Carl

I hop on MSW after a couple days, see a new topic, and BAM - two ships half built already! Since I already have been given (repeatedly) VERY clear direction from the Admiral that I can't do anything until the two projects I do have are done, I'll join the crowd in the rafters - this is shaping up to be a fun comparison build, with a good bit of enjoyable banter! :)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

I think I'll be relocating soon. To dangerous overhead, with all those dangling folks!

Not much done today ... Looking through my PE stack for useful items to replace plastic parts

Carl

Welcome to the belfry Ben. 

What do you mean roof loading jack? There are only three of us batty people up here! Bosun's chair? I knew I forgot something, after I chased away the spiders I just took over the beam. Might make it a little nicer now that there are three of us if I find a swinging bench and hang it on chains. Be back in a few, don't want to miss anything.

Stay where you are Carl, we went to a lot of effort to get the good view from up here! Every one else just came in and sat down wherever it looked convenient. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

42 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Welcome to the belfry Ben. 

What do you mean roof loading jack? There are only three of us batty people up here! Bosun's chair? I knew I forgot something, after I chased away the spiders I just took over the beam. Might make it a little nicer now that there are three of us if I find a swinging bench and hang it on chains. Be back in a few, don't want to miss anything.

Stay where you are Carl, we went to a lot of effort to get the good view from up here! Every one else just came in and sat down wherever it looked convenient. 

You're not the one with the noose over his head, Lou!!

Carl

I have some spare hammocks if anyone is interested - might need some solid beams  for all onlookers,   who is in charge of the Rum  "Must have the Rum":bird-vi::cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 hours ago, cog said:

You're not the one with the noose over his head, Lou!!

No need to worry Carl I'm pretty soft and fluffy...................... Well I guess my wife does prefer the word "FAT"......... I'll try to hit behind you so you can disregard that loud SPLAT sound you hear.

5 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

who is in charge of the Rum  "Must have the Rum":bird-vi::cheers:

NOW the party is officially underway! No Grog for the builders though. We don't want any building while under the influence, (BUI):dancetl6:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

But as you guys all climb the roof, I will take the empty spot just next to his work bench. I need to be close, as my eyesight is not good enough to folow the work from some distance. Hope you don't mind. I'll honestly try not to spill my popcorn crumbs over his freshly painted parts.

Jan

I bashed the grandstand for the 12pdr, mainly because I sent the centre pedestal into space and re fitted it with a brass one and replaced the support rods with brass as essentially you can’t cut 1mm rod from sprue and expect it to remain round. The kit gives you PE canvas dodgers to use as railing but the inside is smooth so I’m just going to go bare bones and add normal railing.

the two triple torpedo tubes are done. None of this stuff is glued down as it will make painting so much easier. 

8D3C504C-D946-4DCB-9BA4-3F6A42272C52.jpeg

ACE0648E-492D-4E5F-8EFE-72CE99848A35.jpeg

9562A536-151F-4E6E-B72F-91AEA3AFD805.jpeg

Greg

4 hours ago, src said:

Carl, looking good!!

Especially the top picture with the WWI anti ship missile.

I need someone to drag it around before launching it ... interested Sam ... you are herewith volunteered for the job :P :D

1 hour ago, amateur said:

freshly painted parts.

Sounds nasty ... is it?

Carl

2 hours ago, RGL said:

I bashed the grandstand for the 12pdr, mainly because I sent the centre pedestal into space and re fitted it with a brass one

So far I've been lucky (nock wood) not much flying around, with total loss. Although, it will certainly happen one of these days, as parts to be used shrink further ... I didn't like the brass canvas option either, haven't fitted any yet. I am pondering on options, tissue paper, or shoji paper are the ones which remain for me. Have to do some testing ...

Carl

oh great Sam....that's all the balcony needs.....firewater!!!  :D    Pe looks real good Greg........I'll have a lot to live up to!   I hope the PE stuff in there is good,  cuz I have nothing here.......the admiral would kill me if I ask for anything else..especially for a plastic model!  I'll see what I can finagle without making her eye brows aprt of her hair line.......gonna be tough.......she just got her hair cut  ;)  :D  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

we chimed in at the same time Carl.........are those clear plastic?   after painting they won't be........no matter on what they are made of ;)    really nice progress as well!   the admiral heard from the gent I bought the kit from...........no tracking number due to the postage terms {I took the cheap route apparently}.  was there a particular problem with the guns,  to make you replace them?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

found the perfect lead-in ........the admiral asked me what I wanted for Father's day.   I went to the Eduard's site and looked up the PE set for the 1:350  HMS Hood.

now I'll see if she'll go for it  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: