Reale De France by fmodajr - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:60

Good afternoon Frank,
Honestly, I don’t know whether the method of lashing the boats depends on where it is in storage ... It seems to me that reliability should play a decisive role here. The method of fastening what is now shown on the model can often be observed on the models of novice models(I don't know why they prefered to shoe it in this way), but you can’t find this method on professional models or models from museum collections, and I suspect on the real ships as well, most likely because it is impossible to reliably fix the boat or some other long items on the deck of the vessel, since such way of lashing cannot be tightly and securely fixed ... I propose to pay attention to such an option that it seems to me to look more real on the ship ... please consider all said above just as my personal point of vew :)

Again, all what has been said is just my thoughts and not to change something ... By the way, in the photo of the Galler models that I have a method of attaching similar to yours ... But I still doubt it is shown correctly ...

boats lashing on deck 01.jpg

boats lashing on deck 02.jpg

boats lashing on deck 03.jpg

Edited by kirill4

10 hours ago, kirill4 said:

Good afternoon Frank,
Honestly, I don’t know whether the method of lashing the boats depends on where it is in storage ... It seems to me that reliability should play a decisive role here. The method of fastening what is now shown on the model can often be observed on the models of novice models(I don't know why they prefered to shoe it in this way), but you can’t find this method on professional models or models from museum collections, and I suspect on the real ships as well, most likely because it is impossible to reliably fix the boat or some other long items on the deck of the vessel, since such way of lashing cannot be tightly and securely fixed ... I propose to pay attention to such an option that it seems to me to look more real on the ship ... please consider all said above just as my personal point of vew :)

Again, all what has been said is just my thoughts and not to change something ... By the way, in the photo of the Galler models that I have a method of attaching similar to yours ... But I still doubt it is shown correctly ...

boats lashing on deck 01.jpg

boats lashing on deck 02.jpg

boats lashing on deck 03.jpg

Hello Kirill,

Thank you for the information. Appreciated.

So the problem I would have is that my davits are angled.

Take a look at Gerard's plan for the Fleur De Lis.

He shows 2 sets of holding lines, one near the bow and one near the rear. Similar to your example above (See my green arrows)

His davit plan for the model shows straight top to bottom.

The davits on the Reale are angled (See red Lines)

I could eliminate the cross lines and do the lines like Gerard's plans, but they would be angled, because the davits are angled.

Also, there is no place to tie down a line in the center of the boat (as shown in your photo above) because there are rowers seats and rowers underneath.

I hope this makes sense. Lol!

Let me know your thoughts. (I have to be careful if I redo anything at this point because the oars are in and there is little room to work around)

Scan.jpg.c213c893fc6c8a012544d7acac9d0e6d.jpg

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank,

I did mine much the same way, using a single length of rope starting at one point and ending there, probably not very practical, Kirill does bring up a legitimate point though. If I were doing it again I would rig 2 separate ropes with hooks at one end to eye bolts on the outboard side of the davits and a double block at the other end of the rope, a single block with a hook to an eye bolt in the inboard side of the davit, then the tackle could be used to secure the boat and removed entirely when the boat needed to be launched, just a thought.

Michael D.

35 minutes ago, 72Nova said:

Hi Frank,

I did mine much the same way, using a single length of rope starting at one point and ending there, probably not very practical, Kirill does bring up a legitimate point though. If I were doing it again I would rig 2 separate ropes with hooks at one end to eye bolts on the outboard side of the davits and a double block at the other end of the rope, a single block with a hook to an eye bolt in the inboard side of the davit, then the tackle could be used to secure the boat and removed entirely when the boat needed to be launched, just a thought.

Michael D.

Thanks Michael,

I think I follow everything you detailed.

So the end result would be two lines angled over the boat similar to Gerard's rigging, but angled with blocks on the backside. correct?

I will investigate if I can get to the backside (working around the rigging lines of the ship and other obstructions)  and place some blocks without ruining things. 

Thanks for your input!!

Frank

Michael and Kirill,

Investigating Michael's thoughts above, I looked at the boat.

From this photo of the back side, you can see that the eyelet is near the top.

So, the block pulley system would have to sit on top of the boat. 

I am not comfortable trying to drill and add a lower eyelet at this stage. (trying to get my hands and a small drill device thru from the other side is risky)

A line with a hook would work here.

IMG_2317.thumb.JPG.7e73fd9bad55ca52b9455255556d1ee7.JPG

This next photo is from the outside side of the boat. A block and tackle system could fit on this side,

but would it look funny? Realistic?

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.0ace8462fc270459e80cd9a4b7bddfc0.JPG

Before I start disassembling anything, do you have any thoughts?

Thanks

Frank

Since I like to tinker just for the fun of it, looking at the first photo Frank where the metal bar is attached, is there room to hook the block too or attach a metal ring?, that would be ideal and not require much effort and modification that would mess up your existing work if you didn't like it. Food for thought.

Michael D.

Hello Michael and Kirill,

Thank you both for your similar ideas.

I just finished staining some single and double blocks and will rig them to see if I can hook the single blocks to the metal rings on the inside (as Michael suggested) and have The pulley system on the inside portion of the boat.

I'll let you know how I make out!

Working on finishing up the small flags now, but will try to re-rig the boat before attaching the flags.

thanks again for your suggestions!!

Frank

Hello,

Thanks to help from Kirill and Michael, I re-did the lashings to the boat as best as I could.

I had trouble working my hands around the boat and snagged the other rigging lines a few times.

I installed 2 lashings, but it could have used a 3rd lashing in the middle, as shown in Kirill's photo above, but no way to get this done without ruining things. Just too tight at this stage of the build.

Rigged the single block (to the right) to a hook and a double block to the left as suggested.

877Reale.thumb.JPG.0beaa3906d1ecd7dea209d4d7055b3e5.JPG

Attached the opposite end of the double block to the eyelets that were already installed onto the davit posts.

880Reale.thumb.JPG.cab847abf2aa5f4f26236325a167b1dc.JPG

879Reale.thumb.JPG.b385744c02d5b0bb88a40e23c20f335f.JPG

As suggested by Michael above, I was able to secure the hooks of the single blocks to the eyelet that is used for the metal bar.

Finally tied the block and tackle to the back end of the wood davits.

Not my best work, but it will have to do.

878Reale.thumb.JPG.382e1c8507b488922a51ee23fcda267b.JPG

Continuing on with the small flag assemblies, Attached the painted wood crowns to the poles.

881Reale.thumb.JPG.8ab1a418ec4c98e543b5637c3ccf1e09.JPG

After attaching the flags to the poles and trying to give the flags some kind of wavy shape, the heights of the poles were adjusted and mounted onto port side of ship

882Reale.thumb.JPG.1f3d0cc412b4a9ac442507352c030019.JPG

883Reale.thumb.JPG.6bd6ba06e8944e494c158f4ee107c486.JPG

884Reale.thumb.JPG.0457802b896d14ae94400a0deb777c36.JPG

885Reale.thumb.JPG.e76c87e6fd83c33624f146b121609940.JPG

Now onto the small flags on the starboard side.

Thanks again for stopping by,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Finished up the small flags on the starboard side of the model.

886Reale.thumb.JPG.ffc088c9df6e15897b9ba69bf3cead4e.JPG

887Reale.thumb.JPG.0b7662f9124fae6790bf9967287c4645.JPG

888Reale.thumb.JPG.82341145927fc935ffd60c8ebce6aae2.JPG

Model is about finished.

I fixed the  bow cannon that I had knocked out of position, along with fixing the rudder (which I had also knocked out of position earlier in the build.)

Next, experimented some with the stern canopy.

First I tried removing about 2/3's of the canopy ( had made duplicates) and rolling it up towards the stern. This came out too bulky still and the transfer process made the furling not look natural.

Second attempt, suggested to me by friends, was to cut the canopy in half and show only 1/2 of the canopy (from the center line to the edge) and leave the other side open. Still did not look pleasing to the eye, so decided to leave the canopy off and show the stern as is.

891Reale.thumb.JPG.649f5958e785e63b78fc24c7bd8d2204.JPG

Started work on making the stands for the model's plaque, using the same cherry wood as the base and case base.

Stands before staining and sealing. (Will be placed under the bow area facing both sides).

889Reale.thumb.JPG.96440551775643db7bc163435c816978.JPG

Plaques made by my local trophy shop. 

890Reale.thumb.JPG.78b18ce465d8e03bfb609f8055aa8a47.JPG

Final steps remaining:

1. Finish plaque stands and mount

2. Complete light dusting of all areas

3. Look for any areas needing touch up paint or adjustments

4. Final photos

Almost at the end.

Thanks,

Frank

8 hours ago, 72Nova said:

Can be real tough to make furling look natural especially with fabric, I like showing the structure though and love the look of the plaque.

Michael D.

Thanks Michael,

Yes, the fabric was thin enough, but when adding the transfer paper to both sides, it became too bulky.

Wife really disliked the look and she has a good eye for these things.

Thanks for stopping by,

Frank

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thanks to those that visit this log, your likes and comments are appreciated.

My model is completed. It took me a while to take the final photos due the the illness and passing of my father in law recently.

Anyway here are the final photos, broken into two posts.

When I have a chance, I will figure out how to move the log into the Finished category!!

892Reale.jpg.89782a20d0bd182fb6412b605ce413b0.jpg

893Reale.jpg.2c4d59053cbb74873121c4dc08076cc0.jpg

894Reale.jpg.980c941d1860eebc6d090dae1c5f9df1.jpg

895Reale.jpg.6271bc1db4f8a818c2b5d812955e7353.jpg

896Reale.jpg.a8071004a22ffa8e477c5268e1c8bea5.jpg

897Reale.thumb.jpg.0d8d1cf88a659110a1a8bc30c2a812a9.jpg

898Reale.thumb.jpg.467ca4e3337ac2ca27c811b3ddb40d0d.jpg

899Reale.thumb.jpg.237c928087776fa4be0df1823cc3e648.jpg

900Reale.thumb.jpg.bae3496f43321e1b926356d909b4ff06.jpg

901Reale.thumb.jpg.6cccd27eaeba3230ea6d6fc66dd1b7cd.jpg

902Reale.jpg.ad5076350d283346297dcd21acba4fe7.jpg

Congratulations!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Dear Frank,

Congratulations on the completion of this grandiose work and on the final photo shoot of such a bright model!
Everything turned out very cool, and the construction itself was very interesting!
I wish you success in building the next model!
All the best !!!

Kirill
ps
By the way, what are the plans for the next model, if not a secret?

Edited by kirill4

Well done, that's a very impressive model. 

Simply gorgeous. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Frank, this is simply a stunning piece of work and it is beautifully presented!  I congratulate you on the completion of this journey, and extend my sympathies to you and your wife’s families.  Like everyone here, I look forward to your next project.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

10 hours ago, Tim Murphy said:

Frank! What a brilliant build. I love everything about this Ship. You really showed your models skills and I’m so happy for you.

I really hope you will be able to show it at the Guilds show in February!

Best of luck

Tim

Thank you Tim!  Thanks for taking the time to follow the log and for your thoughts. 

Let's talk more at the November meeting!

Best,

Frank

5 hours ago, kirill4 said:

Dear Frank,

Congratulations on the completion of this grandiose work and on the final photo shoot of such a bright model!
Everything turned out very cool, and the construction itself was very interesting!
I wish you success in building the next model!
All the best !!!

Kirill
ps
By the way, what are the plans for the next model, if not a secret?

thank you Kirill!

So my thoughts are to spend the winter months cleaning out my work room before starting my next project.

Not sure what that will be yet. I will be doing lots of research. One type of model I haven't attempted yet is some type of clipper ship or a ship that was built during the transition from sail to steam engine and have elements of both. 

We will see!!

thanks,

Frank

Frank,

YES indeed beautiful model - congrats.

I also think a combination of steam and and sails would be a great next idea. Nice to visit 1600s, almost the 1700s - creative thinking to move into the late 1700s and into the 1800s - again big congrats!!!

Cheers my friend 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Frank,

It's been a real pleasure following your build and watching it come into fruition while picking up a few tips here and there, absolutely stunningly gorgeous!!! 

Michael D.

4 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Frank,

YES indeed beautiful model - congrats.

I also think a combination of steam and and sails would be a great next idea. Nice to visit 1600s, almost the 1700s - creative thinking to move into the late 1700s and into the 1800s - again big congrats!!!

Cheers my friend 

Michael,

good to hear from you!!

Yes, I'm sure I'll be in touch with you before making final decisions on my next build.

Lol!  My wife is complaining that she is running out of room with these big models!

My guild is wanting me to bring the model in for the show in February , but it is too tall to fit in my cars! I'll have to find someone with a Suburban to help me out.

Wife says my next model needs to be a ship in a bottle. She is going to be disappointed !!

thanks,

Frank

8 hours ago, 72Nova said:

Frank,

It's been a real pleasure following your build and watching it come into fruition while picking up a few tips here and there, absolutely stunningly gorgeous!!! 

Michael D.

Thanks for all the help Michael and for giving me great ideas from your Reale log!

Frank